“Great Hotel in Mid-Manhattan for the Price” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Doubletree Hotel Chelsea New York City

You added Doubletree Hotel Chelsea New York City to your Saves list
Doubletree Hotel Chelsea New York City
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   128 West 29th Street, New York City, NY 10001 (Chelsea)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save w/Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #273 of 463 Hotels in New York City
Washngton, DC
“Great Hotel in Mid-Manhattan for the Price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

We stayed here twice for one night each at each end of cruise out from the Manhattan Cruise Pier (that'll be a separate review), and we really liked this hotel. I did a lot of review checking and price checking before picking this one, and we picked this one because of it's close (about 3 blocks) proximity to Penn Station (we caught the Acela up from D.C.), central location with nearby public transportation, not too far from the cruise pier and for the price.

Granted, it's New York, so the rooms are a bit small, but our rooms were big enough for the two of us and were very comfortable and clean. On the first night I booked an upper floor room with view of the Empire State Building (4 blocks away), and it was beautiful especially at night. They even upgraded us to one of the two penthouses on the 27th floor on the 2nd night we were there (a larger room with kitchenette, king size bed and a large terrace with a view to die for). That alone was the icing on the cake for the trip...I'm ready to propose to the wonderful lady at the front desk who did this for us.

I booked the hotel through my Hilton Honors account and booked the breakfast deal with it. We really liked the breakfast buffet. I know some reviewers didn't care for it or think it's too expensive (hey, it's New York), but although it's not large (the restaurant itself isn't very large), we thought everything was very good...better than on the cruise. And, if you don't see it on the buffet they'll fix it if they can. They even had whole wheat pancakes one morning, and that's the only kind I'll eat (they were good). We also ate in the restaurant for lunch twice, an early dinner and had cheesecake and coffee another time, and it was all good with good prices, good sized portions and nice little touches. We were able to order from the lunch menu during the dinner hours one time which cost less and was nice for us as we just wanted a sandwich. The wait staff and the hotel staff were also very nice and attentive.

I had problems getting the tv remote to work (I know, I know, but I'm technologically challenged), and the engineer responded quickly to fix it. There are lots of channels on the flat screen tv, but like with most cable there isn't much worth watching on most of those channels...but we managed. (My partner has mobility problems so we spent lots of time these days watching tv and movies.) It's not the fanciest NYC neighborhood but we felt safe and NYC is so easy to get around that it almost doesn't matter where you stay. Lots of Korean restaurants in the area and it also looked like there are some nice restaurants and watering holes if you are so inclined. There's also a 24 hours McDonalds around the corner if you are really pinching pennies.

There is a (two computer) complimentary business center in the basement level which is nice as I didn't lug alone my laptop on this trip, and they have complimentary WIFI in the hotel (not sure though if it's free if you're not a Hilton Honors member, but I think so). There is an exercise room (in the basement), but I didn't check it out. We had good water pressure in both rooms we had with plenty of hot water. I liked the large bath towels and toiletries Doubletree provides, and our beds and pillows (often a problem for me) were very comfortable.

Not sure if I would stay there for several days as the rooms are a bit small, but if you price this hotel out against other good hotels in Mid-town, this one is a very good bet and we really liked it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Peter M, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Chelsea New York City, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Andrew L, thank you for choosing our hotel for your pre-cruise stay in New York City, for being a Hilton Honors member, and for writing such a thoughtful and detailed review. We hope you had a great cruise experience. We will share your positive comments with our hard working staff. Our Restaurant Manager will be particularly glad to know that you enjoyed the Whole Wheat pancakes, and the breakfast and lunch experience!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Excellent location and great hotel. The hotel is centralized so we were able to walk to most attractions. The restaurants around the hotel are pretty good. the Staff were very hepful in providing directions and recommendations.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Michael K, thank you for your review of our hotel. We are very happy to know that you enjoyed the location and service provided by our staff! We look forward to your next visit.
Tampa, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

This brand is excellent with gracious staff, amenities and location. Another review complained about slow elevators, but I found them to be faster than most other hotels in NYC. The desk clerk, housekeeping and staff were among the best I've encountered. I will stay there again very soon.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Peter M, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Chelsea New York City, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
PatrickF, we appreciate your choosing our hotel for your visit to New York City, and taking time after your trip to write a review. We will share your comments with our Front Office, and Housekeeping teams, in particular, not to mention the rest of the staff. We look forward to your return!
Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

Globaly satisfied.
Kind people, room big enough for two people, good bathroom and good service.
The hall is not aligned to the rest of the hotel, too much small.
For sure I will have the change I go back there!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you or grazie dagu76 for staying with us on your recent visit to the Big Apple, and for mentioning our kind staff. We hope to welcome you to New York City on your next visit!
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

All I can say for a family of 4, with the size of the room and small bathroom, we will be getting to know each other Really Well :) that ok... but if you need room, don't look here.

If on the other hand you looking for a decent place to stay while in Manhattan, this should be on your list... for several reasons.

Walking distance to Penn Station, Relatively Quiet on higher floors, with a view the Empire State Building ... and the staff is friendly.

We walked to Time Square, and it was not a bad walk...
Close to the MTA subway
24 hour Pharmacy on the same block

Small rooms / bath room is the only negative I have.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
GB_InTexas, thank you for choosing to stay with us on your family trip to New York City. We are glad to know that you found the location to be extremely convenient for exploring the city and hope that we will see you again very soon!
Silver Spring, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

All cards on the table: My employer chose this hotel for a business trip, not me. But I was surprised with the experience. I've stayed at many DoubleTrees over the years and think of them as a reliable, budget-friendly option for traveling in rural areas. But when visiting NYC, I prefer to stay in non-commercial brand establishments.

That said, I was happy with the hotel. The location was only a 7 minute walk from Penn Station. The hotel itself is tucked away on 29th between 7th and 6th. Not really an area that I'd choose if I were there to sightsee since it's somewhat removed from the really touristy areas like Rockefeller Plaza and Times Square, but still a decent locale.

And before I begin with the hotel review, I'd like to acknowledge the fact that a representative of the hotel took the time to email me before and after my stay to ensure a pleasant experience. Nice touch!

Upon arrival, the front desk attendant was friendly and was happy to fulfill my request for a higher floor (again, tipping the front desk staff is the best way to get what you want). I was provided a room on the 22nd floor with a breathtaking view of the city skyline including the Empire State Building. It was the best view I've ever had at any hotel in NYC; usually I'm relegated to a view of an alley. The common areas were relatively small, but that's to be expected in this particular style hotel. I did like the al fresco seating area just outside the entrance.

The room was small, but again to be expected. But it was bright and clean, and again that view! The bathroom was a respectable size with limited counter space but plenty of linens. The only gripe I have with the room is the coffee maker. It was tucked in a drawer underneath the television and was difficult to access and brew a cup of joe. But if that's all I have to complain about, this hotel is doing pretty good.

All in all, a good experience. Would I stay here again? For work, definitely. For play, maybe.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Peter M, General Manager at Doubletree Hotel Chelsea New York City, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
JMichaelz02, we are glad you found our hotel to be a pleasant surprise on your recent business trip, and look forward to being your "home" in New York City on your next leisure visit! Thank you so much for your review.
Bethesda, Md
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Spent the weekend with 2 teenage daughters and all three of us were pleased with the accommocations and courtesy of the staff. The weather was beautiful, so I enjoyed the opportunity to sit at an umbrella table on their patio with a cup of coffee (from the coffee maker in the room) and read a complimentary copy of The Wall Street Journal while my daughters slept in a bit. Sure, rooms are smallish, but that is normal for NYC hotels. And who comes to NYC to spend time in the room, anyway? The beds were comfy with an abundance of pillows, and the Crabtree & Evelyn bath amenities were especially appreciated by us womenfolk. Needless to say, the delicious oatmeal chocolate chip cookies were a hit with everyone. If one of my daughters ends up at FIT next year (just around the corner) this will definitely be my landing pad when I come to visit.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Euvites, we are so happy that you and your daughters enjoyed your visit to New York City, and sitting under our umbrellas! We wish your daughter the best of luck getting into FIT, and hope you return soon to enjoy more delicious cookies, our comfortable beds, and Crabtree and Evelyn amenities!

Been to Doubletree Hotel Chelsea New York City? Share your experiences!