“Good bet” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ace Hotel New York

You added Ace Hotel New York to your Saves list
Ace Hotel New York
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   20 West 29th Street, at Broadway, New York City, NY 10001 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #152 of 454 Hotels in New York City
London
“Good bet”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

Having popped in the lobby on our last visit we were keen to try the Ace hotel, so spent part of our stay in New York there. For me the public areas are the best bit, very trendy. The rooms were nice, but i have to say for me they felt maybe a bit studenty. The view from our room was great, on some nice buildings and the Empire State Building. The staff were ok but to be honest maybe a little too relaxed, we got so little attention that we were not quite sure who was a guest and who worked there. The location is very good, in the Flatiron district, walking distance to some nice squares, some shopping and good restaurants. If you like walking you literally can get anywhere on foot from this location. All in all it's a nice place and for the right price i'd recommend it but i didn't fall in love with it.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
AshtonatAce, Manager at Ace Hotel New York, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Hi Lyds76,
Thank you for your visit. We continually strive to improve our service and amenities, so your feedback is really important and we appreciate it. If you would like to discuss your experience further, we would love to listen and can be reached at nyc.fdmgrs@acehotel.com. We hope to see you again!
Warm regards,
The Staff of Ace New York

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

As a travel agent, I have been to many great destinations and have seen beautiful hotels. New York City’s charm and cultural signature is so diversified and yet so unique. It was a wonderful experience to travel with my teenager to his cousin’s wedding event. Most of the wedding party guests chosen to stay in one hotel and, needless to say, it was quite a task to identify a location which would accommodate both group rates and a festive experience for people who came from all over the U.S.

The décor of the front lobby, the genuine old-age record players and the checkered duvet style with immaculate bedding were very memorable. Also, the rooms had some of the most comfortable pillows (and I am really fussy about my pillows) and 60’s style refrigerators with all the modern day goodies topped with wall graffiti designs, cool lamps and funky shower. The Ace Hotel stood out, uniquely New York and people friendly.

Special kudos to the reservation department, Tiffany – you are prompt with emails, considerate and responsive! Guys at the front desk – you are polite, cool and ready to accommodate any request, cleaning lady – thank you for your patience! Overall atmosphere in the lobby, and special gratitude to the elevator maintenance guys, I went on many trips up and down before my key worked… Ace Hotel is a best destination for representing New York, its style, history and people.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
AshtonatAce, Manager at Ace Hotel New York, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Hi V M,
Your feedback is a delightful read for all of us at Ace New York and we thank you for sharing it. We particularly enjoyed the shout outs to our Staff members (with special kudos to our Tiffany). We are happy you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again!
All the best,
The Ace New York Team
Holden Beach, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

Decently sized rooms, open floor plan lobby to hook up my Mac, combined with a fantastic gastropub

If I were to design my house in perfect NYC style, this would be it. Both fun and cheeky !

Service does need a little tweaking as a great design and location can only take you so far.

In any case, I will be back!

Stayed February 2014
AshtonatAce, Manager at Ace Hotel New York, responded to this review, July 13, 2014
Hi HoldenBea,

Thank you so much for your review. We're thrilled you enjoyed our whole building! We are constantly tweaking our service and if you'd like to reach out about anything in particular we'd love to hear from you.
Be well, Sean Walsh (nyc.fdmgrs@acehotel.com)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

This hotel is amazing! Monica and her staff are absolutely amazing. The hotel is clean, comfortable, affordable, and easily accessible. The WiFi is really good which is always a bonus. The decor is very hipster, but it makes the room very attractive and cool. If you want a fun atmosphere with a good location, then you have to stay at this hotel - it's awesome.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Hi jborg5,
It really was our pleasure having you and we are delighted you enjoyed your Ace New York experience. Your feedback means a lot to us. Thank you. A shout out for Monica and the Staff doubles the fun!
We hope to see you again soon.
xoxo
ct
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

Ace is a boutique hotel in Chelsea/Flatiron District of NYC. This is a great neighborhood to base yourself in for any trip to NYC. You are no more than 10-15 minutes (walk or taxi) to virtually any other neighborhood in Manhattan. This neighborhood is well known for its restaurants, shopping and art galleries. The Ace Hotel is an area that 20 years ago would have been called the Garment District. But since that industry has virtually left Manhattan for China, the neighborhood has turned over and become trendy.

The hotel has an excellent lobby. They must offer free/open wifi to the public because the lobby was busy almost all day and night. It is set up circa 1930's/40's USA with long rectangular library desks and high ceilings. Dark wood everywhere and loud music. People hanging out with laptops and working or chatting. There is a bar in the back of it all, and a separate attached pub (with excellent craft cocktails) directly through a door but in a separate room/building.

Check in was simple and fast and my request for a quiet room was honored. Very friendly staff. The room itself was large by NYC boutique hotel standards. It's hard for me to size it but I took the smallest room class available and it had room for a night table, desk and chair, small refrigerator and full length mirror and room to unfold an include ironing board. By NYC standards this was pretty large for a mini room. Certainly big enough for two people (although the bed was a queen). The bathroom was fine - shower in bathtub. The bed was reasonably comfortable and the room was quiet as promised.

The TV did not work great. Not a big deal but they use an IPTV set up that has long delays on channel changes and occasionally freezes the picture when there is a data traffic jam. I didn't go there to watch TV so it didn't really bother me.

I stayed for two nights, but I was unable to get my room cleaned without calling and pestering the front desk a few times. Again, not a big deal. Everyone was friendly and eventually my room was made up.

All in all, I really liked this hotel. I think the combination of the neighborhood, unique decor, size and comfort of room and the value make this a great choice for a short, budget friendly visit to NYC for someone who does not like staying in major chains. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: If you want quiet ask for a high floor in the back.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Hi glbtrvler,
Thank you for your visit. We appreciate your feedback and are happy you enjoyed your stay.
Our tv's have gone through a nice overall this month and we think you will like the upgrades! Thank you for your patience and kind understanding regarding this. I am not sure what happened with servicing your room and would love to speak to you further about it. I can be reached at lisa.conza@acehotel.com.
We hope to see you again. Please let me know if I can assist in any way!
Warm regards,
Lisa and the Staff of Ace New York
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

I would go back to this hotel. The room was clean and the decor was uber trendy; hipster like, but it makes for a fun stay. In reality, the decor makes this place stand out. The room was your typical NYC size: small but cozy. The vintage bath+ shower was a nice touch.

Downstairs, there are lots of tables in the lounge where you can plop down and work if you need. There are even servers that take orders for food and coffee.

As for the food, the hotel has a great coffee shop as well as a restaurant that serves an amazing brunch menu. In the evenings, like a lot of hotels in NYC now, the lounge turns into an event space and club, so make sure you book a room on a high floor.

Room Tip: Pick a room high above the lounge. Otherwise, if you're there for the weekend, you'll hear t...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Silver Spring, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

My stay at ACE was perfect (in almost every way). The hotel is my new favorite. My 23 yr old daughter and boyfriend visited and loved it as well.
The hotel is clean, comfortable, accommodating and super fun! Great food. Love the well thought out décor.
(My only complaint is the TV randomly freezing and shutting down, constantly.)
Thank you ACE!!

Room Tip: Higher rooms avoid lobby noise.
Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Dear AMR420.
Many thanks for your feedback! Please accept our sincere apologies as we upgraded our tv system earlier this month. We think our guests will like the improvements we made. We truly appreciate your understanding.
With over 400 hotels in New York - we are humbled with the fact we are considered your favorite. It feels really good.
We hope to see you soon!
xoxo
The Staff of Ace New York

Been to Ace Hotel New York? Share your experiences!