“Great location” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Ace Hotel New York

You added Ace Hotel New York to your Saves list
Ace Hotel New York
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   20 West 29th Street, at Broadway, New York City, NY 10001 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #180 of 464 Hotels in New York City
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
“Great location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

We stayed at the Ace Hotel for 2 weeks, and were overall okay with the experience.
- Rooms are clean, comfortable bed, small shower but didn't bother us too much
- TV in the bedroom was disappointing - it was delayed using the remote control so it was annoying to change channels/volume. Sometimes it would switch off completely.
- Hotel lobby is always filled with people, either working on their laptops or drinking at the bar. It's quite loud most of the time so if you're after a lobby that you can sit back and read a book - it's not the place for you
- A very hipster place, you get the vibe that everyone is "cooler" than you
- Location is great - it's close to subway stations and is easy to get to places, short work to Empire State Building
- Stumptown Coffee downstairs is great - always a line every morning but it's worth the wait for the morning coffee hit!
- Restaurants around the hotel were also great - it seems like a lot of locals dine at these places, not just hotel guests
- Considering we were staying there for 2 weeks - we asked for an extra chair for the desk so that we could both use our laptops. First time was at the lobby with a girl with short blonde hair - she pretty much rolled her eyes at us and made a fake promise to see if this could be done or not and we never heard from her after that. Second time was an email to the hotel manager - no reply.

Overall, location and the hotel is good. For what we paid for and staying there for 2 weeks, a simple request for an extra chair seemed a bit too much for the hotel staff. If you're looking for a hotel for a short stay (3-4 days), this is the perfect place. I wouldn't recommend it for long stays, because the slight chance of requesting something may or may not be done. We're not normally the type to make a fuss or special requests and really wanted to like this place as we were looking forward to it so it was disappointing. It pretty much hindered our overall opinion for the hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
AshtonatAce, Manager at Ace Hotel New York, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Dear 262annad,
Thank you for your visit and honest feedback. “Overall okay” is certainly not what we strive for and we would like to sincerely apologize for the issues you encountered during your stay. We would also like to ensure this kind of miscommunication does not happen in the future and so we ask that you kindly reach out to us at nyc.fdmgrs@acehotel.com so we can gather some key pieces to this situation. It would mean so much if you would consider visiting us in the future – we would love the opportunity to turn your disappointment in us around.
Warm regards,
The Staff of Ace NY

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (284)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

We enjoy quirky & interesting hotels and the Ace certainly qualifies. We loved:
- the superb location
- comfortable bedding & quality linens
- friendly greeting at the door & at registration ( a charming young lady of Mexican background)
- the shower ( fortunately did not need it while the hot water was out)
- sparkling clean room
- sampling the excellent ( and reasonable ) dining choices within walking distance of the Ace
What we wished for:
- lights! The dark walls, floors & shelves added a gloomy feel
- lights by both sides of the bed
- coffee or tea in the room
- courtesy when the key cards needed to be replaced. Our one unfortunate staff experience was with a surly blonde lady who
scolded us as she muttered about key cards near cell phones.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dumbarton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

We popped in here for brunch on recommendation. The cool people are most definitely hanging out here. Music is fab, food excellent and brilliant service. Worth a wander around just for the decor. Highly recommended.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Mountain View, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

The Ace is in a crappy part of The City. It's no man's land. It hasn't been redeveloped and what's there is so old and uninteresting and has no character (at least not as far as NYC goes). But you can see the potential. It's definitely coming back. The hotel itself is quirky. Lots of interesting features. My room came complete with a turntable, some albums to play, an acoustic guitar and an old school style refrigerator, stocked with the finest libations a credit card can buy.

The room is comfortable. Bed was fantastic. Lots of character inside the hotel. But the best feature about the hotel is perhaps the Lobby. The Ace is the place to hang out if you're self employed, or you're a photographer, or an editor, or some kind of day trader. All day long, the lobby, which boasts super comfy chairs, table space, pretty good wifi and really nice munchies, is packed with young up and comers who've found a nice place to do business and get out of the home office and meet others just like them, young and old. The hotel restaurant is also really nice. Big focus on pork, but the meals were outstanding.

In short, it's a good place to stay. The neighborhood isn't interesting, but it's safe, clean and it's just a cab ride away from all the cool stuff.

Room Tip: I had a room facing Broadway. It was just fine!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Kent UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Pros - We stayed at the Ace hotel at the start of October, the room and bathroom were very clean with plenty of hot water and fresh towels. The bed was the best I think I have ever slept in very comfortable with great pillows. Very helpful reception staff. Central location but there is a distinct lack of affordable restaurants close to the hotel. Try Guy & Gallard on 6th Avenue great food and staff.
Cons - the room was too dark with brown painted walls which don't reflect light and when the actual lights in the room are not good either you do find that you have to have every lamp on in the room so you can see anything.
The hotel is expensive, $18 for two cans of beer at the bar and $14 for a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast!! Needless to say we didn't eat in the hotel!
We were on the 10th floor but without very good double glazing we could hear the street noise throughout the night.

Room Tip: Ask for a room as high as possible to avoid street noise
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Paris, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

I went for the first time at Ace hotel in Oct 2013.I enjoyed the professionnal but decontracted service offered by the staff.
As the hotel was oversale, They offers me a room in the Attic, not so easy to go (2 differents elevators) but so stylish inside.
For sure, next time I'll go in NYC, I'll choose Ace hotel again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
AshtonatAce, Manager at Ace Hotel New York, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Hi Hugo W!
We wanted to say thank you for your visit and kind words. It will be a pleasure to welcome you back and we look forward to it.
xoxo
The Ace NY Team
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

People have been raving about how hip and trendy Ace Hotels are, so I won't dwell on that here. You already know this place is probably too cool for school.

But no one ever speaks to how great the service is here! Honestly, I've stayed in some of the best hotels and resorts around the world but the staff here really made a great impression.

Everyone is so effortlessly hip and cool, you'd be excused for thinking that you were suddenly surrounded by the popular kids in high school who stuck their noses at you. You'd be wrong.

The care I was given here was second to none. Again in an effortlessly cool and casual way.

I arrived a day late due to a flight delay in Munich so the original room they saved for me wasn't available, but they moved me to it the next day. I had completely forgotten that they had planned to do this and left my first room completely unpacked as I left for a day of meetings.

When I returned, I found the porters had removed everything from my first room and placed it just as I had intended. Everything was perfect. They even removed the items from my safe and had it sent to security for safe keeping.

The manager, I think his name was Daniel, checked on me twice to make sure I had all my items and so did the porters who moved my belongings themselves.

On my last day they even managed to arrange for me to get to JFK in 30mins in time for my flight!!

Have to say that I trust these guys to go above and beyond the call of duty here. And for that I'm definitely recommending this place for more than it's hipster credentials...

• Stayed September 2013
AshtonatAce, Manager at Ace Hotel New York, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Dear Yung O,

We thank you for your visit and review. Your shout out regarding Staff and Service makes all of us really happy and you are correct, Daniel is the man! We hope to see you again soon.
JFK in 30 minutes? Really?!
xoxo
The Ace NY Team

Been to Ace Hotel New York? Share your experiences!