“Very cool place to be” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ace Hotel New York

Save Saved
You added Ace Hotel New York to your Saves list
Ace Hotel New York
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   20 West 29th Street, at Broadway, New York City, NY 10001 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #135 of 452 hotels in New York City
Dumbarton
“Very cool place to be”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

We popped in here for brunch on recommendation. The cool people are most definitely hanging out here. Music is fab, food excellent and brilliant service. Worth a wander around just for the decor. Highly recommended.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

1,010 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
  • Korean first
Mountain View, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

The Ace is in a crappy part of The City. It's no man's land. It hasn't been redeveloped and what's there is so old and uninteresting and has no character (at least not as far as NYC goes). But you can see the potential. It's definitely coming back. The hotel itself is quirky. Lots of interesting features. My room came complete with a turntable, some albums to play, an acoustic guitar and an old school style refrigerator, stocked with the finest libations a credit card can buy.

The room is comfortable. Bed was fantastic. Lots of character inside the hotel. But the best feature about the hotel is perhaps the Lobby. The Ace is the place to hang out if you're self employed, or you're a photographer, or an editor, or some kind of day trader. All day long, the lobby, which boasts super comfy chairs, table space, pretty good wifi and really nice munchies, is packed with young up and comers who've found a nice place to do business and get out of the home office and meet others just like them, young and old. The hotel restaurant is also really nice. Big focus on pork, but the meals were outstanding.

In short, it's a good place to stay. The neighborhood isn't interesting, but it's safe, clean and it's just a cab ride away from all the cool stuff.

Room Tip: I had a room facing Broadway. It was just fine!
Kent UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Pros - We stayed at the Ace hotel at the start of October, the room and bathroom were very clean with plenty of hot water and fresh towels. The bed was the best I think I have ever slept in very comfortable with great pillows. Very helpful reception staff. Central location but there is a distinct lack of affordable restaurants close to the hotel. Try Guy & Gallard on 6th Avenue great food and staff.
Cons - the room was too dark with brown painted walls which don't reflect light and when the actual lights in the room are not good either you do find that you have to have every lamp on in the room so you can see anything.
The hotel is expensive, $18 for two cans of beer at the bar and $14 for a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast!! Needless to say we didn't eat in the hotel!
We were on the 10th floor but without very good double glazing we could hear the street noise throughout the night.

Room Tip: Ask for a room as high as possible to avoid street noise
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Paris, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

I went for the first time at Ace hotel in Oct 2013.I enjoyed the professionnal but decontracted service offered by the staff.
As the hotel was oversale, They offers me a room in the Attic, not so easy to go (2 differents elevators) but so stylish inside.
For sure, next time I'll go in NYC, I'll choose Ace hotel again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
AshtonatAce, Manager at Ace Hotel New York, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Hi Hugo W!
We wanted to say thank you for your visit and kind words. It will be a pleasure to welcome you back and we look forward to it.
xoxo
The Ace NY Team
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

People have been raving about how hip and trendy Ace Hotels are, so I won't dwell on that here. You already know this place is probably too cool for school.

But no one ever speaks to how great the service is here! Honestly, I've stayed in some of the best hotels and resorts around the world but the staff here really made a great impression.

Everyone is so effortlessly hip and cool, you'd be excused for thinking that you were suddenly surrounded by the popular kids in high school who stuck their noses at you. You'd be wrong.

The care I was given here was second to none. Again in an effortlessly cool and casual way.

I arrived a day late due to a flight delay in Munich so the original room they saved for me wasn't available, but they moved me to it the next day. I had completely forgotten that they had planned to do this and left my first room completely unpacked as I left for a day of meetings.

When I returned, I found the porters had removed everything from my first room and placed it just as I had intended. Everything was perfect. They even removed the items from my safe and had it sent to security for safe keeping.

The manager, I think his name was Daniel, checked on me twice to make sure I had all my items and so did the porters who moved my belongings themselves.

On my last day they even managed to arrange for me to get to JFK in 30mins in time for my flight!!

Have to say that I trust these guys to go above and beyond the call of duty here. And for that I'm definitely recommending this place for more than it's hipster credentials...

• Stayed September 2013
AshtonatAce, Manager at Ace Hotel New York, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Dear Yung O,

We thank you for your visit and review. Your shout out regarding Staff and Service makes all of us really happy and you are correct, Daniel is the man! We hope to see you again soon.
JFK in 30 minutes? Really?!
xoxo
The Ace NY Team
Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

Trendy and hip...and great bars and restaurants ...but the basics of what you need in a hotel are missing. Rooms so dark you feel you are in some sort of nocturnal zoo exhibit. Indifferent service from those too cool for school. And to top off an ordinary week, a note under the door at 740pm last night advising no hot water for 12 hours...starting at 7pm. Not acceptable when paying top $.

Dear Stewart_singas,

Thank you for your feedback and our sincere apologies for the lack of hot water. Every effort was made to get the situation back to normal as quickly and efficiently as possible. We would never want our guests to be without hot water. When we experienced the major mechanical failure that resulted in the lack of hot water we felt it was our duty to at least inform our guests. We have a variety of rooms in our hotel and gladly would have moved to something with more light. We’d love to speak with you more about the service you received and will reach out to you directly.

Sean Walsh, Front Office Manager sean.walsh@acehotel.com
Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

Having never been to NYC before hubby and I were delighted with the location, cleanliness, modern and friendly reception of the Ace Hotel. We arrived one evening after a 19 hour flight from Australia and were greeted with a 'happening/trendy bar-like' atmosphere. Worried that we were in dire need of sleep and a shower (and a quiet room to withdraw to) we were quickly reassured when we were given a room towards the back with no noise from the party below or street traffic...arhh!
Most hotel rooms seemed to be on the small side in the U.S and Canada. The Ace Hotel was probably a little smaller then we were use to but well organised and provided adequate room for the two of us for the week. I was greatly disappointed with the Breslin bar (which neighbours the hotel). I thought the menu was very limited and a bit overrated.
Great shower. Very modern and clean (which is important to me - particularly the clean bit)!
Brilliant location - one block to nearest subway with easy access to all city attractions.
Would I recommend this to my grandmother, probably not. To my parents, well - I didn't see a lot of 60 year-olds but it was quiet and clean. Would I recommend this to other couples in their 20s/30s, without hesitation. Was it recommended to us - YES! Did it live up to the recommendation - yes.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room at the back.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Ace Hotel New York? Share your experiences!