“Hotel Hipster” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ace Hotel New York

Save Saved
You added Ace Hotel New York to your Saves list
Ace Hotel New York
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   20 West 29th Street, at Broadway, New York City, NY 10001 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #135 of 451 hotels in New York City
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Hotel Hipster”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

We were in the city for a dinner and needed somewhere central & could not have found a better place. It's a dark, grungy super stylish lobby with staff to match. Service is sharp and professional. The room was a great size with a comfortable bed, large 4 seater table, and all the usual set up with plenty available to purchase. Great bathroom with an excellent shower (over bath).
People joined us after dinner for a drink in the lobby; excellent bar staff who knew how to mix a cocktail without the help of a book.
Breakfast was superb. Delicious and interesting menu. Service was spot on.
If I'm pushed to find any negatives one would be that there was more street noise that I would have expected & the noise of the shower next door in the morning was obvious, but this was exacerbated by that guest taking a shower for over half an hour!
Fun thing to watch: In the morning the lobby fills up with young hipsters arriving to buy a coffee and hang out with their electronic device of choice. They arrive in their most hipsterish outfit, take over every available seat and just hang out.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
AshtonatAce, Manager at Ace Hotel New York, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Dear Waikokowai,
Thank you for your visit and especially for noticing one of my favorite times in the lobby - the morning! It all seems to unfold at such a perfect pace - and the Stumptown coffee helps a lot.
Sorry about the noise issues and please let me now if I can assist on your next visit. I will find the perfect room for you!
Warm regards,
Lisa and the Ace NY Team

995 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
  • Korean first
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

Just got back from a five night stay here and absolutely loved it! Staff were friendly and helpful. I asked for a room on the higher floors and was given a great room on floor 11. Complimentary checkout through until 1.00pm and the reception staff kidnly printed off my boarding pass. Housekeeping was great and I would certainly return to this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view! Go high, I would imagine it might get quite noisy on the lower floors.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Dear atlas2009,
We are happy to read you enjoyed your stay and that your requests were handled happily and efficiently! Your kind words mean a lot to us and we hope you will come back soon!
xoxo
The Staff of Ace NY
Belmar, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

Must say working and living in NY i've seen and stayed in many Hotels. But nothing quite like this one... I absoloutely loved the hipster vibe from the moment you enter the Hotel. The main lobby is filled at all times with locals and guests alike with there PDA's, Laptops enjoying free WIFI while having a cocktail from the lobby bar with friends and or business associates. Love the very trendy feel of the Hotel alond with the "Green" Philosophy. Very friendly and informative staff who at times is hard to differntiate from the hotel guests. (You won't find anyone wearing a stuffy suit here)The restaurants are amazing and convenient located on either side of the hotel. Rooms are spacious for Manhattan and very clean. The decor and views are second to non. One stay my son was playing with a guitar that was part of the room amenities and the following week we had a room sporting a turntable. Yes thats right. I did bring my family and we came back the following week we had such a great experience. For the price, views and very trendy atmosphere Ace is the place I would deffinately check out if your looking for something special.

Room Tip: Ask for Empire State views....
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
AshtonatAce, Manager at Ace Hotel New York, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Hi Noel S.
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your visits, It was a pleasure having you. Are you here now? (Ha ha!)
Come back soon - we look forward to seeing you again!
xoxo
The Staff at Ace NY
NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

I recently returned from a business trip to NYC -I stayed at the Ace Hotel. It's a fun, hip place, rooms were large for NYC standards. I booked a medium room and a bathtub was my priority so I ended up on the 3rd floor. Upon arrival, I upgraded ($30 a night extra) for a room with a "view". Got to the room and, in my opinion, the "view" was not worth the extra $30. The room was larger than the one I ended up with and had a refrigerator which my 3rd floor room did not. I had no view, but I was only there for two nights, so that was not an issue for me. The two restaurants connected to the hotel were pricey, pricey, pricey. Not much close by in the way of restaurants, but Lilili was recommended to me by the front desk and it was great - still pricey though. If you want to walk and you normally do in NYC, the Empire State Building is close by as is Macy's/Herald Square area. All in all, a pleasant stay and would stay again now that I am more familiar with the area

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Montreal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

I booked the Ace hotel on Quikbook, and was quite pleased with my choice. The lobby is modern,and comfy,with plenty of space to sit and socialize. The coffee shop serves amazing coffee. My room was not ready, as I arrived early in the morning, but my bags were immediately stored, and I was advised of where I can access a computer(on odd numbered floors). The front desk staff were very helpful with directions for the subway and shopping.. Just want to say thanks,especially to Jesse,who was so friendly and professional,and took the time to just chit chat about the flea market.
As for the room, it was amazing. I booked the mini room, and it was far from mini. It was spacious, with a modern and trendy decor. It was equipped with a fully stocked SMEG fridge, ironing board,blow dryer,safe,place to hang up clothes, great radio.The rain shower was perfect, and I loved the white subway tiles, and dual flushing toilet. For me, the room was very comfortable, and warm, and I would book it again in a heartbeat!!!!! Subway station just around the corner.
Thanks ACE for a great stay!!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the Ace for 4 nights in August and had a blast. This is the type of hotel my mother would hate: the lobby is permanently dimly lit like a nightclub or Hollister store with music playing. The decor is very 1930's, the staff all 'hipstered' up to the max. Very stylised but it works- really fun place to stay. Impressed with the room and location works too.

• Stayed August 2013
AshtonatAce, Manager at Ace Hotel New York, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Dear River20132013,
We are glad you enjoyed your stay and thank you so much for your feedback.
Our lobby was designed to create an inviting space where people are always welcome to congregate, socialize, work or wind down and free wifi is available. What's not to like, right?
Come back and see us again, we look forward to it!
The Staff at Ace NY
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

this is a fun place to stay at, the lobby is sort of like a dj nightclub type of place so that is either fun or annoying. There is a great coffee place called Sip in the lobby. The rooms are cool and hip. The neighborhood has something to be desired, there is a cabby restaurant across the street and there are like 20 cabs hanging around out front and there is no real "neighborhood" so that is the only downside.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
AshtonatAce, Manager at Ace Hotel New York, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Hi crazzi1234:
Thanks for your visit and review. We were happy to hear you had fun and just wanted to note that our caffeine and non- caffeine fixes are supplied by Stumptown Coffee Roasters and we love them very much too!
Hope to see you soon-
Lisa and the Staff at Ace NY

Been to Ace Hotel New York? Share your experiences!