I just returned from three nights in NYC for a conference. I stayed at Ace Hotel because it was close to the conference and I got a discount from a professional organization. I was a little worried about staying at a "hipster" hotel because of a previous bad experience at the Hudson, another "hipster" hotel in midtown.
ACE HOTEL ROCKS! This was a great experience and hotel. I had a midsized king room, which was plenty big for me; but I assume people who are used to non-Manhattan hotels might find them a little small. Here are some thoughts:
- The staff was great. They made me feel welcome -- unlike at the Hudson. I was in the conference and sent a email to general information address trying to get a dinner reservation at the Breslin. I got a quick reply and exactly the time I wanted. That kind of service is MUCH more than I expected for this price in Manhattan.
- The room was immaculate and well equipped.
- The linens and the bed were fantastic. I slept very well, which is sometimes a problem for me on the road.
- The shower was huge (room 923) and great water flow. Nothing like a rain shower after walking all over town!
- The lobby/bar was hopping every night. It was cool scene of people just hanging out talking and working. I grabbed a beer on the "workbench" and caught up on email one night.
- Stumptown coffee is connected to the lobby and had GREAT coffee and pastries.
- My room had a guitar, which gave me flashbacks of musical inadequacies after years of failing to learn to play :-(
- The room was dark -- even with all the lights on. My room only had one window, I assume others have more and are brighter.
- No valet parking. A colleague drove into the city one night and had to park a couple blocks away. I was surprised there weren't valets and didn't warn my guest.
- The surrounding area is still in transition. I suspect it will be a great neighborhood in 5 years, but there isn't much there now. Be ready to walk or cab.
As a result of the location and lobby atmosphere, I probably won't bring my kids there. But I will 100% return on business or just with my wife!
I was in 923, which only had 1 window and looked out over a parking lot. I assume the rooms looking...
See more room tips
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Hi Mike F.
Report response as inappropriate
Thank you for giving us a try and the super review you wrote. I noted your preference for a room with more natural light and we will definitely try to make that happen.
Please let us know if you decide to return with your family. I think you might be pleasantly surprised at all there is to do and we have some really fun suggestions.
We certainly look forward to your return!
The Ace Team
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.