“Great value!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ace Hotel New York

You added Ace Hotel New York to your Saves list
Ace Hotel New York
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   20 West 29th Street, at Broadway, New York City, NY 10001 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #222 of 466 Hotels in New York City
Virginia, United States
“Great value!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

I just returned from three nights in NYC for a conference. I stayed at Ace Hotel because it was close to the conference and I got a discount from a professional organization. I was a little worried about staying at a "hipster" hotel because of a previous bad experience at the Hudson, another "hipster" hotel in midtown.

ACE HOTEL ROCKS! This was a great experience and hotel. I had a midsized king room, which was plenty big for me; but I assume people who are used to non-Manhattan hotels might find them a little small. Here are some thoughts:

Pros:
- The staff was great. They made me feel welcome -- unlike at the Hudson. I was in the conference and sent a email to general information address trying to get a dinner reservation at the Breslin. I got a quick reply and exactly the time I wanted. That kind of service is MUCH more than I expected for this price in Manhattan.
- The room was immaculate and well equipped.
- The linens and the bed were fantastic. I slept very well, which is sometimes a problem for me on the road.
- The shower was huge (room 923) and great water flow. Nothing like a rain shower after walking all over town!
- The lobby/bar was hopping every night. It was cool scene of people just hanging out talking and working. I grabbed a beer on the "workbench" and caught up on email one night.
- Stumptown coffee is connected to the lobby and had GREAT coffee and pastries.

Cons:
- My room had a guitar, which gave me flashbacks of musical inadequacies after years of failing to learn to play :-(
- The room was dark -- even with all the lights on. My room only had one window, I assume others have more and are brighter.
- No valet parking. A colleague drove into the city one night and had to park a couple blocks away. I was surprised there weren't valets and didn't warn my guest.
- The surrounding area is still in transition. I suspect it will be a great neighborhood in 5 years, but there isn't much there now. Be ready to walk or cab.

As a result of the location and lobby atmosphere, I probably won't bring my kids there. But I will 100% return on business or just with my wife!

Room Tip: I was in 923, which only had 1 window and looked out over a parking lot. I assume the rooms looking...
    • 5 of 5 stars
AshtonatAce, Manager at Ace Hotel New York, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Hi Mike F.
Thank you for giving us a try and the super review you wrote. I noted your preference for a room with more natural light and we will definitely try to make that happen.
Please let us know if you decide to return with your family. I think you might be pleasantly surprised at all there is to do and we have some really fun suggestions.
We certainly look forward to your return!
Warm regards,
The Ace Team

brooklyn
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Unusually large room, tasteful decorations. Ample space for spreading out and comfortable bed. Quiet, upper floor. Lobby is fun and bustling. Staff is friendly and attentive. Location is convenient for walking and public transportation.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank emma e
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

the rooms are on the smaller side but being business traveler that never spends time in my room, this is not a problem. My favorite thing about this place is the amazing Breselin restaurant (Their brunch is especially tasty) and their lobby. Such a great place to meet up with friends, grab a cocktail, or get some work done. I've even brought my dog and they've always been so welcoming. The service overall is a bit hispster "too cool" esque, but I have no complaints either.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

I love it, love it's style, love turntable in the rooms. The best place to stay while you're in NY. Also, on the first floor, there's my favorite John Dory's Oyster bar, and I recommend you visiting it!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Davis, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

Or is it the other way around? We were on the 11th floor -- the entire hallway was black. Our room had a very large black wall that looked like it had been tagged by a grafitti artist. Many curious retro touches...pencils and a hand-crank pencil sharpener on the desk. An industrial radio. A little cube of black soap, hand-crafted in Portland, OR (so said the tiny label), hanging from a little hook over the sink. The bedding was lush. The shower was excellent. While some reviewers find the lobby of the Ace cozy, it seemed more like being inside a burrow or an anthill: Dark, dense, noisy, thronging with activity. The Ace is teeming with style, no doubt about that. The adjoining bar and restaurant is welcoming and felt much more convivial than the lobby lounge area. The service was OK-- our room wasn't ready and we had to wait until the 3 pm check-in--there wasn't much effort on the part of the front desk to do anything more than offer to stow our luggage in the interim. When we did check in, I was waiting for clerk to offer me a typewriter; the Portlandia feeling abounds. Loved the neighborhood. A crazy number of fantasy jewelry stores, wig stores, handbag merchants, and perfume outlets. KoreaTown is just a short walk from the Ace. Great food all around. If trendy cool (fringing on precious) is what you are after, the Ace is the place. The location is convenient and offers new perspectives and places to explore that are off the beaten path.

Room Tip: They are all different...
3 Thank Caitlin M
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

Spent a week at the ACE Hotel in April 2013, it was icy cold outside, the moment you step into the ACE Hotel - you feel the cosyness, warmth and friendliness. Great for People watching - get to see New Yorkers spending time in the lobby, enjoying some amazing coffee while they work online.

Summary:
Service: With a Smile
Look & Feel: Cosy, Alternative, Edgy
Activity: Always something Fun happening, just step into the lobby.
Food: Fantastic...

Room Tip: Small rooms are great for short stays (1-3 nights), for longer stays(7 nights), go for the medium ro...