“Good value near Union square” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Townhouse Inn of Chelsea

You added The Townhouse Inn of Chelsea to your Saves list
The Townhouse Inn of Chelsea
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   131 West 23rd Street, New York City, NY 10011 (Formerly The Inn on 23rd) (Chelsea)   |
Ranked #12 of 95 New York City B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Uppsala
“Good value near Union square”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Subway-station at the corner and walking distance to to Union square.
We stayed in the 1940´s room. It was very big (had both king-bed and seperate sitting area) and quiet (even though it was facing the 23rd street.) Very clean. Bed was ok. (I am spoild and missed a fluffy cover.) Big bathroom with nice shampoo/soaps provided. WiFi in the room. Breakfast with cereal and bagels, coffee/the was served in the beautiful library room set up with a long table in the middle and smaller tables by the window, so that it is up to the guests if they want to interact or not. Very helpful staff that is much more service-minded than the personel at some of the more expensive hotels.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Wilmington, DE
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

My husband and I just celebrated his Birthday with a trip to NYC and we found this wonderful Bed & Breakfast called The Inn on 23rd Street. Upon our arrival, there was a bottle of Prosecco chilling in our room. What a wonderful way to celebrate after a 3 hour drive. The Inn was beautifully decorated, the staff was so friendly and helpful and our room (The Victorian) was large and very comfortable. We had a few windows, but they looked toward another building, but this was the reason the room was so quiet. I forgot we were in the city. The eat in library served a lite breakfast in the morning an an honor bar. The Inn is in the heart of Chelsea and near many museums and art galleries and they even had a few free passes. There is also a subway entrance right threre. We used www.iconparking.com to find a parking garage right across the street. It was so easy and convenient. We would definitely stay here again and we are so excited to find it. Thank you to the wonderful staff for your advice and help.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Bear, Delaware
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

As part of our 20th wedding anniversary trip to NYC, my wife and I booked our stay at The Inn on 23rd via Living Social. The offer included a complimentary bottle of Prosecco, which, by the way, was chilling on ice upon our arrival, a free beer tasting and $30 meal voucher at the adjoining eatery (The Guilty Goose). We were pleasantly surprised with how nicely things worked out. Although we had other meal plans and did not take advantage of the $30 voucher, this really was a great value for what we paid. We stayed there 1 night, from Monday, March 11th to Tuesday, March 12th (room #42).

This quaint and charming boutique hotel is everything that the large hotel chains are not. In fact, I saw that one reviewer described it as the "anti-hotel," which is absolutely dead-on. This bed and breakfast-like property has such character and an almost communal feel (an honor bar and shared kitchen space with a refrigerator). Every staff member we encountered was very pleasant and cordial. Ethan, the clerk at the desk when we checked-in, was very nice and accommodating. He took us on a tour of the place and showed us all of the cute amenities (a great personal touch), which included an eat-in library (overlooking 23rd street) with comfy seating and plenty of natural light, ideal for quiet time with a good book and a cup of their complimentary tea or coffee.

We stayed in the Rosewood suite. Although we did not have much of an outside view, our room was cozy and intimate and the decor was quite eclectic and chic, containing a curio with many interesting books and bric-a-brac. The exposed brick wall just screamed NYC, with all of its raw beauty. The queen-sized bed was very comfortable and the bed linens were clean and fresh (trust me we always check). The bathroom was clean and well maintained, which is a personal must for me! The water pressure in the shower was good also, which is something that I always appreciate personally.

Put on your comfy walking shoes, as The Inn on 23rd is within walking distance of a large concentration of art galleries (e.g. Agora Gallery), and other city attractions such as the iconic Chelsea Hotel, the Flatiron Building, The High Line Park, Chelsea Market, Eataly and many more. It is also part of the fashion district. Hop in a yellow cab or jump on the 1 or 3 train and you are only 10 minutes away from Times Square and other, more touristy sites.

The Inn on 23rd does not offer parking (parking on the street is at your own risk). Although there are numerous parking garages in the immediate vicinity, they mostly cater to monthly parking and did not have availability for overnight parking. After driving around for about an hour looking for a place to park, we gave up and drove over to a parking garage we've used many times driving into the city (located on West 49th between 9th & 10th Avenue). We then grabbed a yellow cab from there to the hotel. Parking was around $35 for 24 hours and the cab was about $11 (not including tip if you are so inclined).

Overall, we would definitely stay at the Inn on 23rd again! This was only a 1-nighter, but next time we will stay for a couple days or so.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the elevator, as it could sometimes be a little noisy, especially late at n...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Bear, Delaware
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

My husband & I stayed @ "The Inn On 23rd" for our wedding anniversary & it was very enjoyable. We stayed in the Rosewood suite & although no "view" of the city in that particular room...it was private & quiet. Which we really appreciated!! (Because city views usually come w/city noise). Accomodations are very warm, cozy & VERY CLEAN!! Location is awesome & only a few short blocks from the Chelsea Market & the art gallery district. WE both agreed we would love to stay there again.

Room Tip: travelers should be aware however, that hotel does not have it's own parking so it may be a chal...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

I stayed here last month during the pleasure portion of an extended holiday. The "library"/lobby is gorgeous(your personal kitchen) and rooms are huge.

Rooms are spacious and feature exposed brick and comfortable beds. My only complaint was a lack of channels with their DirectTv packages, but isn't that always the case. The bathroom was decent (no frills, but a larger shower and tons of extra amenities around--never happens, right?). Dust off your old ethernet cords!!!(hotel offers ethernet, but wifi is only available in certain areas). I very much enjoyed the Victorian room(especially its toned down decor) and slept like a king in its bed.

The library/lobby: is your personal kitchen and library, including books, magazines, travel inspirations. Additionally, the staff here is prompt and very helpful(a plumber was called w/o hesitation right when I mentioned an odd furnace in my room). Breakfast includes scrumptious pastries, hot water/tea, fresh fruits, juices and (I think) coffee.

The area: I generally dislike Chelsea, but I love its central location. The Inn is perfectly situated for cheap taxi rides Anywhere! Great subways(often more $) are also nearby(including right up to most broadway/off-broadway shows). The hotel is semi-close to the amazing shopping in Soho(check out Vince, if you're a man who needs pants... heaven!). Cheap gym or two w/in 1/4 mile on 23rd.

For food, I highly recommend going to East Village/ 2nd Ave, where this reviewer grew up, and enjoying endless amazing restaurants there on St. Mark's Place, especially if you need a NYC ethnic food fix(there's also up and down Columbus and Amsterdam up around the 70s). I highly recommend Ports Coffee over Joe the Art of Coffee; there's also Eataly and Patsy's Pizzeria; Lenny's for to-die-for(literally) ruebens; Chelsea Market for amazing breads(and amazing fruit tarts at the bakery before Amy's Breads).

I would definitely stay here for any extended stay in NYC, because hotels are like golddiggers -- not to be tolerated for too long :-) For the price(~ $200) and the spaciousness, how could I not give The Inn 5 stars!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

This litle Inn on 23rd street in NYc is very comfortable. The staph is helpfull and nice.
We just stayed for a week with our 2 children in the Suite, room 51. Large living room and double bedroom, good with space for 4. Personal and comfortable. The breakfast is good and exactely what you need before starting a long day of touristing in NYc. The location on 23 rd street is great, all major Subways have stops on this street. The Inn has a many Membercards to the most popular museums, these are free to borrow for the Inns guest. What a bonus to pass all lines!
We would never stay in any other hotel if we return to Nyc.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Hollywood, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the Inn on 23rd in October 2012. My room was on the top floor, so it had really cool sky lights, exposed brick, and was also very spacious. My colleagues had 2 other rooms on the same floor and each one was unique in terms of layout, but all were spacious with cool architectural elements. The lobby and lounge area are very comfortable. They serve a very nice breakfast (hot and cold entrees), and in the evening you can enjoy wine and snacks. One of the evenings I returned to the Inn, I was greeted by the resident cat (name escapes me right now); a very sweet and charming surprise. I had dinner at the Guilty Goose (attached restaurant), which was excellent (although very few vegetarian options). As a final note, the service was also excellent - very hospitable, efficient, and welcoming. This will be my first choice for lodging the next time I have a trip to NY.

Room Tip: As I state in my review, I loved my room on the top floor with the sky lights.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to The Townhouse Inn of Chelsea? Share your experiences!