“beautiful bed and breakfest” 5 of 5 stars
Review of 1871 House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
1871 House
Save Saved
You added 1871 House to your Saves list
130 East 62nd Street, between Park and Lexington, New York City, NY 10065 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #28 of 97 New York City B&B and Inns
Fort Lauderdale, Florida, United States
“beautiful bed and breakfest”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

this 1871 bed and breakfast is a great place to stay upper east side nyc. Very clean and beautiful room more like a house then hotel. excellent location very close to subway, shops, and restaurant. I stayed two nights the room called front parlor a very romantic studio. great view of the street. Perfect place to stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

163 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

I stayed at 1871 House for three full weeks for a work trip. In that time, I stayed in the Parlour Room, the Front Library Room, and the Mission Suite. The Parlour room has very high ceilings, the Front Library Room is cozy, but the Mission Suite was my favorite. It's modern, cool, and quiet, and had the nicest layout of the other rooms in my opinion. Felt very private.

The area (E. 62nd & Lexington in the Upper East Side) was wonderful. Very close to the NRQ, 456, and F trains, and tons of shopping (Bloomingdale's Zara, Sephora), and so many delicious restaurants. Just a 6 or 7 minute walk from Central Park and Columbus circle. Really wonderful area, and for the prices they offer (which are well below other hotels in the area), you can't beat it.

The staff at 1871 House are friendly and helpful, but the one thing I found very challenging was that there's not a front-desk person on 24/7 like there are at larger hotels. My work schedule while in town was from 5am-7pm every weekday, so there was never anyone there if I had a problem after hours, which I did: they once forgot to move my luggage from one room to the next while I was at work, so I came back to my new room and my luggage was locked in a room 2 flights up; and I had internet connectivity issues a couple of times and it was hard to get ahold of staff after hours, although they did eventually get back to me. They were always helpful once I was in contact with them, and they did apologize for the luggage mix up.

Housekeeping only comes every couple of days, but that didn't bother me at all. They also do not offer refunds on cancelled bookings, so just be aware of that.

Overall, 1871 House was clean, comfortable, and a great price. I would stay here again. If you're looking for something that feels more like home, and want a room that's much bigger than the average hotel room, give 1871 House a try.

Room Tip: The Mission Suite is cool and quiet, since it's in the basement, and has a nice kitchen space wi...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1871House, Manager at 1871 House, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear Misty,

Thank you for the kind review. It’s wonderful you were able to experience so many of our suites during your three week stay. Each room has its own personality, and we’re glad you found one to call your favorite.

We couldn't agree more about our location. Time and again we hear from our guests that our cozy hotel is a well-placed gem (nestled perfectly between Park and Lexington), offering a quiet escape from the hustle and bustle of the roaring city and all of its delights.

As a small family owned operation, we do recognize the challenge of meeting our guests’ “after-hours” needs, and our staff often goes to great lengths to accommodate late-night requests (And although we bill ourselves as a “self-serving” establishment, office managers are readily available to assist guests outside of regular business hours). As you mentioned, sometimes a unique scenario arises that requires our attention, and our staff will work to ensure your comfort and happiness, no matter the time of day or night.

1871 House doesn't consider itself an ordinary hotel, and as such, some of our procedures and policies (such as our cancellation policies) are designed to make our small business run more efficiently and keep guests’ costs down.

We're very glad you enjoyed your stay and it's always a pleasure to hear, "1871 House was clean, comfortable, and a great price. I would stay here again." We hope to see you again soon!
Memphis, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Firstly, this place has mice. My stepdaughter saw one in her room, and then we saw another one in my room. The owners are perfectly aware of that, because their contract says they bear no responsibility for both incects and rodents. I find that ridiculous given the price they charge. Secondly, wi-fi wasn't working when we arrived. Though it was eventually fixed, I expected the service be much better. The place is a perfect example of a B&B being operated by amateurs. I will stay at a hotel next time.

Room Tip: Don't stay there if you are afraid of mice!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1871House, General Manager at 1871 House, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Dear Inna,
We regret that your experience was anything less than extraordinary at 1871 House. Our Bed
and Breakfast aims for a level of care and personal attention not found at larger hotels and the
staff was deeply hurt by some of your more imaginative inaccuracies.
Family owned and operated for nearly 20 years, the hotel is an inviting and authentic NYC
experience, but because of the urban setting, the staff concedes that a small pest might escape our notice now and then, but the event is a rarity, and handled swiftly.

As for our rates, it’s well known that 1871 House offers one of the best values in the
neighborhood. For similar dates in August, nearby lodgings such as the Plaza Athenee,
price one room with 2 adults, 1 child, sharing 1 king-size bed at $495 per night (they cannot
accommodate 2 children in one room) and $1355 per night at the Plaza for 2 adults, 2 children.
Rates in the Fall (including our own) are usually some multiple of these rates. Based on our location, the quoted rate and accommodations you received were particularly generous.

Lastly, regarding internet connection, at no time was Wi-Fi unavailable to you. Your comments
indicate otherwise. Guests at 1871 house can enjoy free Wi-Fi access in our front lobby, 24/
7. Upon arrival, and after a short interlude, internet access was administered to your personal
rooms.

The Staff of 1871 House is shocked by your remarks, but wishes you the best of luck in your
future travels.
Huntsville, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

We loved our stay at 1871 house! The location was fantastic-close to everything like Central Park and shopping. It is in a beautiful neighborhood. It felt like a home away from home. I enjoyed staying there so much more than staying in a hotel room. We stayed in the Mission Suite which was decorated with charming antique furniture and a great kitchen area and newly renovated bathroom. The suite was huge! We will definitely be back.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

We stayed at several places in New York, to experience different parts of the city. Our stay at 1871 house was a pleasure. Even though it is an apartment, the service provided by the staff was equal to hotel concierge levels.

I found the rooms a little cramped, and couldn't stay for extended periods, but nicely decorated and spotlessly clean.

The location is brilliant, not just because it is close to the park, but because you have the choice of 5th Ave, 7th Ave, Madison or Park....it is right in the middle of several different shopping and eating experiences.

Overall could recommend this

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
IluvNY62, Manager at 1871 House, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind review, We really enjoyed having you and your family staying here, and it was a pleasure meeting you all. I really appreciate especially the lovely words about the staff, as we try our hardest to provide the best service to each of our guests. We hope to see you again!

All the best,
Erin, Assistant Manager
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

As a person who travels for business quite often, it is rare that I find a place worthy of a Trip Advisor review. And yet I continue to share my thoughts on my all-time favorite place in NYC - 1871 House. It is easy to tire of the same old business hotels, so it was refreshing when I stumbled on this quaint upper East Side property. I have taken my family here twice on vacation, and I continue to stay here on business when they have room. It is the perfect way to experience NYC.

Are the rooms made for business travelers? Not really. Does this cater to a business traveler at all? Not really. And that is the beauty and charm of this great place. Rather than going back to a hotel, I literally feel like I am arriving "home" when I get to 62nd and Lex. The rooms are quaint and appropriate - they have everything one would need for the evening. The entire property has the charm you would expect. Whereas others have commented on the water pressure or some other minor inconvenience, I find all of the nuances of 1871 House to be what makes it so special. I have never had an issue that wasn't resolved immediately. For instance, on this last trip, there was some water damage in one of the rooms in the top floor suite that I was staying in. This was due to the heavy storms that had been in NYC just a few days before. As I arrived, the staff prepared me for this and told me that I might want to choose the smaller part of the suite to stay in. They decided NOT to work on the damage while I was staying there, postponing the repairs until I left. It was appropriate - and part of the challenge of working with an old NY building. Part of the charm and appropriately handled.

Two special elements of the experience stand out for me:

(1) The location: You absolutely can't beat the upper East Side location of 62nd Street between Park and Lex. I can walk just a few blocks and be in Central Park for a morning jog. There are amazing neighborhood restaurants and shops just outside the door. And big department stores and power shopping just down the street. You can walk anywhere and get almost anything you might want. When you stay here, you feel like you live here. That's the way to experience a city.

(2) The staff: The staff at 1871 House is not your typical B&B staff - and they acknowledge such. They are not there to engage you in conversation or be your "hosts" in the city. They are there to make sure everything goes well; otherwise, they are quiet and behind the scenes. And yet, it's one of the things I love about this place. They have taken VERY GOOD care of me. They remember that I have stayed there before. They know I arrive late and leave early. And most importantly, they accommodate my last minute requests for a room when they can. They show flexibility and loyalty, which is rare these days. I am grateful for the kind staff that work at 1871 House and how they have welcomed me into their home.

I have sent a number of friends to 1871 House - both business colleagues and personal friends. Bar none, their experiences have been outstanding. I can not more highly recommend this place to anyone looking to experience a different, more personal and intimate NYC. (Just hoping they don't get TOO booked up; I want to make sure they have room for me on my next trip!)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
IluvNY62, Manager at 1871 House, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Craig, thank you for the glowing review! We’re honored that you consider us your “favorite place in NYC.” We appreciate the recommendations you've made to your friends and colleagues (and we agree, our location can’t be beat). As you mentioned, the staff here at 1871 continues to provide the utmost level of care and consideration to our guests while respecting their privacy. Thanks again for your kind words and we hope to see you again soon.

Best Regards,
David, Assistant Manager
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

My five-night stay at 1871 House was wonderful! The Parlour Suite on the second floor had everything that I needed: large windows looking onto the tree-lined street, an en suite bath with tub and shower, an efficient kitchenette cleverly concealed behind two doors, a charming fireplace and attractive antique furniture. I was impressed by its cleanliness as well as the comfortable bed with down pillows.

Travelling on my own for the first time in New York City, I had lots of questions! The friendly staff went out of their way to help me which included directing me to restaurants, tea rooms and stores that could accommodate my special dietary needs and arranging for transportation to my meetings in the city.

Most importantly, at the end of each busy day, I felt like I was coming home when I returned to 1871 House. It was an oasis amidst the excitement and buzz of the city. I will happily stay again!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
IluvNY62, Manager at 1871 House, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
Beth,

We really enjoyed having you stay with us, and thank you so much for your lovely review! We're glad you had such a wonderful time here, and we definitely hope to see you again soon. The three of us would also like to say thank you for your very sweet card. It made my day knowing that we all made your stay memorable :)

All the best,
Erin, Assistant Manager

Been to 1871 House? Share your experiences!