As a person who travels for business quite often, it is rare that I find a place worthy of a Trip Advisor review. And yet I continue to share my thoughts on my all-time favorite place in NYC - 1871 House. It is easy to tire of the same old business hotels, so it was refreshing when I stumbled on this quaint upper East Side property. I have taken my family here twice on vacation, and I continue to stay here on business when they have room. It is the perfect way to experience NYC.
Are the rooms made for business travelers? Not really. Does this cater to a business traveler at all? Not really. And that is the beauty and charm of this great place. Rather than going back to a hotel, I literally feel like I am arriving "home" when I get to 62nd and Lex. The rooms are quaint and appropriate - they have everything one would need for the evening. The entire property has the charm you would expect. Whereas others have commented on the water pressure or some other minor inconvenience, I find all of the nuances of 1871 House to be what makes it so special. I have never had an issue that wasn't resolved immediately. For instance, on this last trip, there was some water damage in one of the rooms in the top floor suite that I was staying in. This was due to the heavy storms that had been in NYC just a few days before. As I arrived, the staff prepared me for this and told me that I might want to choose the smaller part of the suite to stay in. They decided NOT to work on the damage while I was staying there, postponing the repairs until I left. It was appropriate - and part of the challenge of working with an old NY building. Part of the charm and appropriately handled.
Two special elements of the experience stand out for me:
(1) The location: You absolutely can't beat the upper East Side location of 62nd Street between Park and Lex. I can walk just a few blocks and be in Central Park for a morning jog. There are amazing neighborhood restaurants and shops just outside the door. And big department stores and power shopping just down the street. You can walk anywhere and get almost anything you might want. When you stay here, you feel like you live here. That's the way to experience a city.
(2) The staff: The staff at 1871 House is not your typical B&B staff - and they acknowledge such. They are not there to engage you in conversation or be your "hosts" in the city. They are there to make sure everything goes well; otherwise, they are quiet and behind the scenes. And yet, it's one of the things I love about this place. They have taken VERY GOOD care of me. They remember that I have stayed there before. They know I arrive late and leave early. And most importantly, they accommodate my last minute requests for a room when they can. They show flexibility and loyalty, which is rare these days. I am grateful for the kind staff that work at 1871 House and how they have welcomed me into their home.
I have sent a number of friends to 1871 House - both business colleagues and personal friends. Bar none, their experiences have been outstanding. I can not more highly recommend this place to anyone looking to experience a different, more personal and intimate NYC. (Just hoping they don't get TOO booked up; I want to make sure they have room for me on my next trip!)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- 1871 House offers seven apartment-style suites in an historic five-story English Rowhouse, circa-1871 within the Upper East Side Historic District neighborhood. The house offers lovely views of other historic homes, is flooded with sunlight, has an incredible garden, and grand-scale details. 1871 House is surrounded by the Upper East Side's finest restaurants, stylish cafes, galleries, Madison Avenue's chic boutiques as well as world-renowned museums such the Museum of Modern Art (MoMA), the Whitney Museum, The Metropolitan Museum of Art and The Frick Collection. Centrally located and just a short walk to Central Park & Fifth Avenue 1871 House is perfect for culture seeking visitors to the Big Apple. However, for business-oriented visitors, 1871 House is also ideally located near Midtown Manhattan. Easy access to public transportation makes 1871 House also convenient to Wall Street and the Financial District. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotwire so you can book your 1871 House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- 1871 House Hotel New York City