“My all-time favorite place in NYC” 5 of 5 stars
Review of 1871 House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
1871 House
Save Saved
You added 1871 House to your Saves list
130 East 62nd Street, between Park and Lexington, New York City, NY 10065 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #27 of 96 New York City B&B and Inns
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
“My all-time favorite place in NYC”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

As a person who travels for business quite often, it is rare that I find a place worthy of a Trip Advisor review. And yet I continue to share my thoughts on my all-time favorite place in NYC - 1871 House. It is easy to tire of the same old business hotels, so it was refreshing when I stumbled on this quaint upper East Side property. I have taken my family here twice on vacation, and I continue to stay here on business when they have room. It is the perfect way to experience NYC.

Are the rooms made for business travelers? Not really. Does this cater to a business traveler at all? Not really. And that is the beauty and charm of this great place. Rather than going back to a hotel, I literally feel like I am arriving "home" when I get to 62nd and Lex. The rooms are quaint and appropriate - they have everything one would need for the evening. The entire property has the charm you would expect. Whereas others have commented on the water pressure or some other minor inconvenience, I find all of the nuances of 1871 House to be what makes it so special. I have never had an issue that wasn't resolved immediately. For instance, on this last trip, there was some water damage in one of the rooms in the top floor suite that I was staying in. This was due to the heavy storms that had been in NYC just a few days before. As I arrived, the staff prepared me for this and told me that I might want to choose the smaller part of the suite to stay in. They decided NOT to work on the damage while I was staying there, postponing the repairs until I left. It was appropriate - and part of the challenge of working with an old NY building. Part of the charm and appropriately handled.

Two special elements of the experience stand out for me:

(1) The location: You absolutely can't beat the upper East Side location of 62nd Street between Park and Lex. I can walk just a few blocks and be in Central Park for a morning jog. There are amazing neighborhood restaurants and shops just outside the door. And big department stores and power shopping just down the street. You can walk anywhere and get almost anything you might want. When you stay here, you feel like you live here. That's the way to experience a city.

(2) The staff: The staff at 1871 House is not your typical B&B staff - and they acknowledge such. They are not there to engage you in conversation or be your "hosts" in the city. They are there to make sure everything goes well; otherwise, they are quiet and behind the scenes. And yet, it's one of the things I love about this place. They have taken VERY GOOD care of me. They remember that I have stayed there before. They know I arrive late and leave early. And most importantly, they accommodate my last minute requests for a room when they can. They show flexibility and loyalty, which is rare these days. I am grateful for the kind staff that work at 1871 House and how they have welcomed me into their home.

I have sent a number of friends to 1871 House - both business colleagues and personal friends. Bar none, their experiences have been outstanding. I can not more highly recommend this place to anyone looking to experience a different, more personal and intimate NYC. (Just hoping they don't get TOO booked up; I want to make sure they have room for me on my next trip!)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
IluvNY62, Manager at 1871 House, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Craig, thank you for the glowing review! We’re honored that you consider us your “favorite place in NYC.” We appreciate the recommendations you've made to your friends and colleagues (and we agree, our location can’t be beat). As you mentioned, the staff here at 1871 continues to provide the utmost level of care and consideration to our guests while respecting their privacy. Thanks again for your kind words and we hope to see you again soon.

Best Regards,
David, Assistant Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

My five-night stay at 1871 House was wonderful! The Parlour Suite on the second floor had everything that I needed: large windows looking onto the tree-lined street, an en suite bath with tub and shower, an efficient kitchenette cleverly concealed behind two doors, a charming fireplace and attractive antique furniture. I was impressed by its cleanliness as well as the comfortable bed with down pillows.

Travelling on my own for the first time in New York City, I had lots of questions! The friendly staff went out of their way to help me which included directing me to restaurants, tea rooms and stores that could accommodate my special dietary needs and arranging for transportation to my meetings in the city.

Most importantly, at the end of each busy day, I felt like I was coming home when I returned to 1871 House. It was an oasis amidst the excitement and buzz of the city. I will happily stay again!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
IluvNY62, Manager at 1871 House, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
Beth,

We really enjoyed having you stay with us, and thank you so much for your lovely review! We're glad you had such a wonderful time here, and we definitely hope to see you again soon. The three of us would also like to say thank you for your very sweet card. It made my day knowing that we all made your stay memorable :)

All the best,
Erin, Assistant Manager
Lawrence, Kansas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

We had three grandchildren with us, ages 13 and 10. The Madison suite was comfortable for the five of us. I agree with another reviewer it would be nice to have one more chair for kitchen table. Having the kitchen for breakfast and snacks was a benefit with the children. Everyone slept comfortably and well. Location great. Staff helpful when needed. We will be back.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
IluvNY62, Manager at 1871 House, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
Hi Joan!

Thanks for your review! Glad you enjoyed your stay with us, and as always, we sincerely hope you decide to stay with us again soon.

The chair that we'd originally moved to the Madison after the last request was unfortunately moved back to another room. We have moved it back to the Madison again and there it shall stay! :) so if you book the Madison again it'll be there for your family.

All the best,
Erin, Assistant Manager
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

A family of five (children 17, 15, 12,) we stayed for a week in the Madison-suite. Looking at the other reviews (good and bad) that taken together paint a realistic picture, we have a few remarks and suggestions of our own. To be clear: these are mostly minor details to us, as on a whole we were very happy with our decision to book a stay in 1871 House.

In our case staff service was very capable, pleasant and personal; coming from Europe, we were able to use the NYC-address of 1871 House for delivering of tickets we ordered through the Internet; on arrival everything was waiting in our room. During our stay we could use their equipment to print tickets and boarding passes. The owners keep a distance to the day-to-day running of the operation, and we didn't meet them.

For our family there was more than enough space in the Madison Suite. Having only one bathroom asks for some improvisation. Also, we think the decision to put a relatively large cabinet in the front-room (not in the photos) to hold a tv could/should be reconsidered. Waterpressure (?) at times was low, so we couldn't get the shower running instantly; there always was warm water though. The beds are good and everything was clean. We used the small kitchen for breakfast (fresh croissants at Le Pain Quotidien, around the corner) and also a few times to cook dinner. We missed some basic supplies you don't want to buy for a relatively short stay, like tablets for the dishwasher. And for a party of five an extra chair at the table would be pleasant. Yes, in an old house floorboards make noise when you walk and you sometimes hear your neighbours, but for us that added to the charm.

Public transport connections to the rest of the city are excellent; proximity to Central Park a plus. It is great to do your own grocery-shopping in the nearby stores, and to open the door to your own kingdom with your own keys. It really gave us a "home away from home"-feeling. We didn't want to leave.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1871House, Owner at 1871 House, responded to this review, May 12, 2013
We thank the guest for taking the time to share their thoughts and we very much appreciate the kind comments!! We are located in an amazing part of the city and love it here ourselves. In regards to a few of the guest's suggestions: the approx. 21-inch deep armoire serves to hide the TV when not in use; we will add a photo of the room which shows the armoire to give a sense of the space to guests who haven't stayed with us before. It's a beautiful, functional antique and although it takes up space, we hope it elevates the feel of the room. :) Per the guest’s suggestion, we have added an extra chair in the Madison Kitchen so five guests can sit at the kitchen table. There are also two chairs located in the adjoining room which provide extra seating. And finally, the water pressure is sometimes affected by simultaneous, multiple uses in the house (flushing toilets, showers, dishwashers) but should stabilize quickly.

As owners, we have a hectic schedule so we are not always available to directly interact with guests. However, both Warren and I are on premises and very much involved with the day-to-day management of 1871 House. There is always at least one staff member available during business hours to service, interact and assist our guests. Our 3-person management team is personable and more than happy to converse and assist in any way possible.

We thoroughly enjoyed having this guest at the house, and appreciate the time and effort of the suggestions!
Milan, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

Second time at 1871 House. No surprise. Fantastic location and atmosphere. Friendly and nice staff.
The B&B is perfectly located 5 mnutes from Central Park and 5th Avenue.
Being one of the most rated residential area staying at 1871 House makes you feel a true newyorker.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Really nice staff! We stayed in the Garden Room and we wished we could have enjoyed the terrace however the week was pretty cool so we did not use it. In warmer months it certainly expands on the space and space in NY is always a plus. I have to say that the shower is strange albeit usable. I understand that in a house of that age that there are compromises to be made and no doubt it was the best that could be managed. The room is a good size, the bed comfortable and the quiet was a pleasant surprise as we pretty consistently heard how noisy NY could be. You hear people on the stairs but not noise from outside the building. If we visit again we will stay at 1871 House.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

My girlfriend and I really enjoyed our stay at the 1871 House. The staff, especially Jennifer, were very accomodating in terms of googling and printing off directions as well as recommending restaurants etc. We stayed in the Garden room. It was cozy yet very spacious. We were fortunate enough to use the terrace(weather was good) which provided an additional living space and a great place to enjoy our morning coffee. The Queen bed was very comfortable and the trundle bed was perfect for one as well. There was ample storage space for our clothes, two dressers and an armoire. A perfect table for writing and/or snacking. While the bathroom was definitely unique and small it was good enough for showering. We had plenty of hot water at all times contrary to reviews I had read previous to our stay. The additional sink in the room was a welcome addition for teeth brushing and washing before bed.
The neighbourhood was very nice. Minutes away from Park Ave, Central Park and a short subway ride away from the hustle and bustle of Times Square. The little fridge was perfect for housing our juice etc for breakfast and the kettle providing our morning hot drinks. I would definitely recommend this place to anyone who wants to stay at a place with cozy comfy place with character vs a hotel room.

Room Tip: Garden room perfect in spring time, terrace is private and provides additional space.