“Great place to feel like a "New Yorker", but it needs improvments” 4 of 5 stars
Review of 1871 House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
1871 House
130 East 62nd Street, between Park and Lexington, New York City, NY 10065 (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #28 of 97 New York City B&B and Inns
Sao Paulo, Brazil
“Great place to feel like a "New Yorker", but it needs improvments”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

The location is superb and the system that allows you to have the keys as if you were at your own home is also great. The room we satyed, the Mission Studio, is really nice. But as it is in the basement needs to be more carefully cleaned and maintained. We also noticed that, except for Anita (kind and interested in helping with directions) the Autumn staff was not so much interested in helping guests. People who made our reservation by email in the begining of the year were nicer. We think that simple changes can make House 1871 better since there are very few places likethat in New York

Room Tip: We think rooms upstairs can be better.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

163 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

We just returned from a lovely long weekend trip to New York. 9 Women taking on Manhattan. Some of the ladies were never in New York previously, none of us have ever experienced 1871. We stayed in the Library front and rear and the Madison Suite. Both rooms were very pretty with nice amenities. It is probably best to stay in the rear of the building as it is very quiet. The front of the building sometimes gets a traffic noise in the night. The girls were forewarned it was a walk up, but after many hours walking the lovely streets of NYC that last climb always met with a little groan. Holly Golightly we ain't, but it truly is a NYC experience not to be missed. And, if you're first in the shower you need to let it run a good long time before the hot water appears, but that's because it's a very old building and plumbing is upgraded to as much as they can. The kettle was always on the boil, and the refrigerators in the the kitchen were a nice touch to store a snack or a leftover from a fabulous meal or that next bottle of Pinot Grigio :) . so the house was like coming home to a warm and cozy place with a very comfortable bed, not a sterile environment . It was truly perfect for our Girlfriends reunion.

Room Tip: Stairs are narrow, so remember your luggage and pack light, Also, rear rooms are quieter than the...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Syracuse, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

The staff was wonderful and the room looked exactly as it was pictured! I checked all of the reviews before I booked and thank all who have posted. Someone mentioned that the bathroom they had was old. Well, yes, it is, but I have a one hundred year old house so it didn't faze me and on balance, everything is so clean and so charming...and, the neighborhood is wonderful, an old bathroom is a fair trade!!!!!! I used to live in Manhattan in the 1970s and have stayed in hotels on visits since then. So cold and sterile! Now that I've found the 1871 House, I would never go back to a hotel...and, can't wait to return!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
IluvNY62, Front Office Manager at 1871 House, responded to this review, November 10, 2012
Thank you!! We're so glad you enjoyed your stay at the House. We hope we provide a cozy alternative for those who want to explore NYC.
Antwerp, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

We ( 2 adults + 2 14 years- old ) just spent 4 nights at 1871 House in New York during hurricane Sandy!
At 1871 House you feel at home immediately. On our arrival on Saturday October 27, 2012 we didn't need much time to feel as true New Yorkers. The location is just splendid, near Starbucks, Le Pain Quotidien, The Bread Factory, a couple of nice restaurants (Fishtail from David Burke, Italian restaurant Pane & Vino and many others), Smiley's 24/24 right on the corner. New York isn't cheap but in this part of town you get quality for a decent price. At no time did we feel worried because of Sandy coming. We realize we were very lucky. Because of the great location of 1871 House we did all we wanted to do walking ( subway and buses were not in operation for a few days ) : Times Square, Central Park, Guggenheim,...
I would not recommend 1871 House to people who need a lot of reassurance or help in whatever matter. Basically you have a nice ( but old ) cosy appartement where the plumbing makes quite some noice and the outdated shower is not a rain shower as you find in new modern/boutique hotels. I do however recommend 1871 House to experienced travellers who want to discover New York by themselves and get the feeling of how a true New Yorker lives.

Room Tip: We stayed on the top floor: Lexington
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
It was a pleasure having you and your family here. We're so glad also that you loved the amenities of the area as much as we do. Our staff is here all day every day (8:30-6:30 on M-S, and 8:30-3:30 on Sundays). We try very hard to be non-intrusive, yet available: we hope you felt you could ask us for anything if you needed it. That's what we're here for! :)
Tazewell, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

1871 House was part of my very first NYC experience in 2009 and I jokingly referred to it as my home away from home...the decor of my room was so much like my own home in Virginia that I was at ease from the start. The staff at the time, Jennifer, Hedy & Simon, were lively and wonderful and so gracious regardless of how many times I asked about directions, cab etiquette, broadway shows, or even bus schedules! I didn't meet Warren, but Lea and the girls were friendly and welcoming, but certainly not intrusive. I'm truly sorry that I didn't write this review right after my 2009 trip. On my last visit, I naively expected the same staff would be there and had a long overdue sercy for each of them. Of course, by now, they had moved on to other jobs, but the neighborhood was still as comfortable and charming as before. Everything you need is within walking distance, including a great section of Central Park. I stayed in the Library Suite Rear bedroom w/private kitchen. I had an extended stay and even though there's a scrumptious restaurant in just about any direction you choose, having the kitchen was a great option.

I've traveled back to NYC a number of times since and regardless of the amenities offered at large hotels, there hasn't been anywhere I've enjoyed as much as 1871 House. I'm planning another NYC trip soon and intend to stay at 1871 House again... It's true, there's no place like "home".

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
It's never too late! Thank you for all your kind comments. We truly appreciate that you thought of us for your return trip to the city.
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

My colleague stayed there a year early, and my wife and I were equally impressed with the Parlour Room@1871. After staying in Times Square Novatel the week prior this place was a real slice of Manhattan and such a welcomed change. The area around is like a village with groceries, laundry, hairdresser all so close by, which as we had a small kitchen came in handy. Walk to central park and go for a jog while the wife went to Bloomingdales 200m away ... try Serendipity and Bob Dylan niece's lolly shop - " Dylan’s " frozen chocolate. Subway is a block away. A five dollar taxi will have you in Times Square. The staff makes you feel welcomed and let you go about your holiday undisturbed, but are there to assist if needed. Would go back tomorrow! Thank you all at 1871

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
We're so glad to hear you and your wife enjoyed the Parlor Room. It sounds like you got to check out some of the neighborhood's gems! We hope we can welcome you back here sometime.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

1871 House is the perfect place to stay in NYC. The most incredible townhouse, close to everything you could possibly need. The rooms are amazing, authentic and have great character- you can see that a lot of time and effort has been out in to making them clean, comfortable and some thing you will remember.

The staff at 1871 House are way make it so fantastic, they go above and beyond what is necessary to help you and make you feel comfortable.

I wouldn't stay anywhere else!

We will be back :)

Room Tip: The Garden Room is beautiful, it has its own Garden where you can relax...Hard to find in NYC!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Thanks for your comments. We're glad you got to enjoy the Garden terrace before it got chilly here. We hope we'll see you again! :)

Been to 1871 House? Share your experiences!