“Fantastic hotel” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Boston, United Kingdom
“Fantastic hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

We had a week at the strand and couldn't find fault at all. Our Room on the 16th floor was clean & spacious and the novelty of waking up and seeing the Empire State Building from out window never grew tiresome. Staff were exceptionally friendly. Really wish I could remember the other guys names as there were 3 that dealt with our enquiries but Mathew was one of them. A small guy with a moustache and tattoos and a African American with short hair were the others.
Would definitely stay there again as it was very close to a lot of touristy bits. (Empire State, time square, maceys, etc).

Room Tip: Across the road is the Blacksmiths. A great clean cafe for breakfasts, drinks and quite a bit more...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
John L, General Manager at The Strand Hotel, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Dear Guest,

It was our team’s pleasure to make everything about your stay enjoyable, and you have my heartfelt thanks for taking time to write about it. Nothing pleases us more than your plans to come and stay again. I look forward to welcoming you personally on your next visit.

Many thanks,

John Loizos

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (366)
  • Hungarian first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

I've just returned from a 5 night stay at The Strand Hotel for my 30th birthday. This was a great hotel and I would definitely recommend it.

All of the staff were welcoming and helpful and were more than happy to answer any questions we had. The room was clean with more than enough space for the two of us. The bed was really comfy and huge!

The roof top bar is a really nice space with a brilliant view of the Empire State Building. The bistro bar is also great and has a happy hour during the week- we enjoyed a few drinks here before heading out for dinner.

The hotel location was brilliant and there are plenty of deli's and restaurants nearby. Times square, the empire state building and the Rockefeller centre are all within walking distance. There are a number of subway stations nearby which we used to visit the 9/11 memorial.

All in all I had a fabulous time and would stay at the Strand again if I'm ever back in NYC.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Belated wishes for a very happy birthday! I’m delighted that you chose The Strand for this milestone event, and that everything was perfect from our location to your room to the great views from our rooftop bar. It was an honor to help make your birthday trip to New York a memorable one and look forward to welcoming you for many years to come.

Warm Regards,

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

I lived and worked in NYC many years ago and have returned frequently on business. But I've never stayed at the Strand nor was I even aware of it. A colleague and I were in the City on October 1 and 2 on business - she was a frequent guest there in a previous business life and recommended the Strand.

I was very, very impressed with this small hotel. The staff greated my colleague with smiles and open arms - and the same level of kindness and friendliness was given to me, too. The staff is professional, courteous and kind - not something you experience at every hotel in Manhattan. I expected a very small room - I suppose it was small compared to some but it was perfectly adequate for me. Comfortable bed, comfortable pillows, AC worked fine and the room (and entire hotel) was quite modern.

There was a minor glitch with the TV remote but that was taken care of in no more than 15 minutes.

I do suggest that the Strand prepare a simple instruction card for the shower control - it's not intuitive at all. I'm a very (very) frequent global traveler and I couldn't figure it out.

The roof-top bar with a view of the Empire State building is beautiful.

All in all, the Strand is a fine hotel and, when I return to NYC, I'll be staying there.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view of the Empire State building - pretty special. A high floor might be less no...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind words about what I hope is only the first of many stays at The Strand. I appreciate your suggestion that we provide instructions for the shower controls. As you pointed out, today’s high-style designs can be mystifying. I’m glad that our friendly staff and comfortable accommodations added up to a very pleasant stay, and I look forward to welcoming you often.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013 via mobile

Stayed 4 nights for my husband's 40th birthday. Staff very friendly and helpful on arrival and throughout. We were given a great room (1705) with view of Empire State Building. Bed very comfy. Not a huge room but everything we needed-we were hardly in the room!! We walked to Penn Station in 5/10 minutes and took LIRR/air train to JFK - very handy. The restaurant was lovely and staff attentive-we ate breakfast here every morning and we miss it!!! The only reason I've not given the hotel 5 stars is that of our 4 nights there, the rooftop bar was only fully open on one night. This, while not a deal breaker, was a bit disappointing as was one of the main reasons I picked this hotel. However suffice to say I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel or return to it as the staff and general.atmosphere are spot on.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Happy belated Birthday! We are grateful for your wonderful review and for the time you have taken to share your experience with our tripadvisor travelers. We were pleased that you enjoyed the wonderful view from our Empire rooms, comfortable bedding, great location, and lovely restaurant. I understand you were not able to fully enjoy our rood top lounge during this visit and hope we can make it up to you on your next trip.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly, jloizos@thestrandnyc.com

Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

We stayed for 5 nights and have just arrived home. I can recommend the Strand highly. The staff were friendly and helpful and the executive room was very spacious for a central New York hotel. We had a side room which overlooked tenements, which although not great to look out on, was very quiet with no street noise.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
John L, General Manager at The Strand Hotel, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Dear Guest

We are all so grateful for your terrific 5 star review and pleased that you enjoyed the comfort of our spacious executive rooms. I was happy that you enjoyed our rood top and hope we can have you back again, our friendly staff awaits you.

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

By far the best NYC hotel any of us have stayed in (and we've probably been to about 10-12 between us). We were made to feel incredibly welcome, and as it was a joint birthday celebration the little extras like a higher room with an amazing view of the Empire State Building made the trip special. We couldn't have asked for anything more, everyone from the housekeepers to the bar staff and all the front desk team were lovely and always happy to help.

The rooftop bar had been the deciding factor in choosing The Strand and it didn't disappoint - although some of the seats were reserved for private functions we were always able to find a spot to relax and enjoy the view and great cocktails.

As for location, you're close to Times Square, Macy's , Penn Station (& Subway links) and of course the Empire State Building without being in a crazy environment. A nice deli and coffee shops in easy reach for a quick refreshment and the hotel bars were both welcoming.

Three of us shared a room with 2 double beds, the wardrobe just about held clothes for 3 ladies for a 5 day stay, but there was plenty of draw space so we didn't feel like we were on top of each other.

I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: The rooms at the front have the view of the Empire State (the higher the floor - the better the view...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

With so many hotels to choose from, and the fact that you feel we are the “best of the bunch” when comparing us to so many others, makes us all so very proud.

We sincerely appreciate your high praises and for recommending us to others. I encourage you to contact me directly in the future for the best available rate and hope to meet you next time you stay at the Strand. .

Warmest regards,

Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

We stayed at The Strand for 5 night stay in September. We would highly recommend this hotel the staff were very friendly and helpful. The hotel was was in a central location, the roof top bar was a great place to chill after a busy day sightseeing and it has an amazing view of the Empire State Building, we will be definitely returning to this hotel on our next visit.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

We are so pleased that you enjoyed your 5 night stay at the Strand and for your glowing review. Your recommendation means the world to us and I hope I will personally have the pleasure of meeting you on your visit.

Warmest regards,

John Loizos.

Been to The Strand Hotel? Share your experiences!