“The trip of a lifetime!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book Direct and Save 10%
Ranked #43 of 449 hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
“The trip of a lifetime!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

I visited the strand to celebrate my 40th birthday. After many reviews saying how tiny the rooms are, I must say, I was pleasantly surprised. There was plenty of space. The room was clean and that is the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in, having back problems, I'm not used to having such a good night sleep. I had no internet problems, as long as you log in using the hotel password it was fine. I had an amazing breakfast. Red velvet pancakes with bananas in syrup and nutella cream. It was gorgeous! The setting next to the fish tank was lovely. I had a cocktail in the bar and that view is out of this world. A must. Staff were very friendly and helpful. The only disappointment was that while out, a staff member decided to help themselves to some sweets my husband left out, they didn't like it and it was spat out onto the bathroom floor next to the bin! This was being looked into when we left. Overall though, this hotel was great. I love New York and The Strand. I'm hoping to return this year.

• Stayed November 2012
John L, General Manager at The Strand Hotel, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am so pleased that you selected the Strand for some quality time with your children. Many thanks for taking the time to write about your January visit. Thank you for mentioning some of the details that made your stay comfortable to include our humble staff, slate bath tile, rain-shower fixtures, exclusive toiletries (Fragonard) and luxurious bedding that make the boutique experience we provide memorable. We appreciate your fantastic review, and look forward to welcoming you back.

Many thanks,

1,246 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

I took two twelve year olds to NYC to "do Broadway" on a budget. I got a deal on Jettsetter on an "executive King Room" with an 'interior view."

The room was nice, not huge but not tiny with a pull out love seat. The shower was great with natural slate and a great big rain watering can style fixture.

People were very nice, not too pushy, but ready to be helpful.

I thought breakfast was a little expensive.

Our "interior view" was great because we had a high floor, which I recomend asking for.

This hotel is not in Times Square, it's closer to the NY Library and Grand Central. But that's better because there is less noise and those are two must visits for kids in NYC.

Room Tip: If you get a high floor the views from both sides of the hotel are great.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Many thanks,

Stamford, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

I stay only at boutique hotels and this is the best in NYC. It's an easy walk from Grand Central and on quiet 37th Street but right around the corner from busy 5th Avenue. The staff are friendly, the rooftop bar is the coolest, hippest and romantic hopping spot anywhere. The rooms are quiet so you get a good nights sleep. The bistro has excellent food but the bar is a great place to meet for drinks. The place is clean and a great place for work or play. I've been there multiple times and love it. My last trip included an overnight stay, a trip to the great cocktails on the Top of the Strand and an afternoon walk down 5th Avenue to Eataly.

Room Tip: The higher floors on the south side are quiet and you can see the Empire state building at night.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We appreciate your review and for mentioning some of the highlights of your trip with us. New York is a busy metropolis, with noise that is most often out of the hotels control. I apologize that you were disturbed by the noise of our neighboring building, and glad that you slept well in second room we provided. Thank you for taking the time to write, and for making The Strand your home away from home in Manhattan.

Please feel free to contact me next time you are in to ensure that you are provided with a quite room.

West Seneca, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Sayed here on business for 2 nights. We tried to check in early, but our rooms were not ready and we were told to come back at 3. Was given a room on the 12th floor, with a view of other buildings. The room was quite small and the bathroom was tiny. The website for the hotel says free wifi. I was only able to connect for about 20 minutes on the first night and many others in the group had the same problem as well (we chose the hotel because they did offer wifi, so we were all pretty disappointed). I called the front desk at one point and did send someone up, but as soon as the guy knocked, I got connected. I went out for dinner and was surprised to see a bottle of wine and cookies in my room when I returned (assuming it was for my wifi issue).

The hotel is centrally located, but I doubt I would stay here again due to the wifi issue. I also had Sprint and was on data roaming the entire time in the hotel.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Fort Worth, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

The rooms are small. It felt like I was staying at my parent's house as I could hear everything going on out in the hallway as well as in the room adjacent to mine. That being said, I was only there to sleep as I was in NY for business. The room was clean and service from the staff was prompt so I couldn't ask for more in that department. The bathroom was small and did not have much in the way counter space as I did have to get creative as to where to place my toiletries. I suppose that one should expect smaller rooms when staying in a place like Manhattan where space comes at a premium, however, this was a bit ridiculous. I'm a big guy (6'3 at 230lbs) so I had to move about the room carefully in order to prevent myself from knocking something over or banging a limb on a table corner.

Don't get me wrong, there are positives to staying at the Strand. There is a rooftop bar for those who are interested in the social scene, the restaurant was full when I was there so it must be of some quality given that there are numerous places to have dinner in the city, and the staff were very nice and courteous. Also, it is centrally located in Midtown and is not far from major landmarks like the Empire State Building, Time Square, etc.

Bottom line: if you are in town for work and only plan to sleep here, you will be fine. If you will be spending more time in the room and are a tall / wide person, then maybe you should consider staying somewhere with more room

• Stayed January 2013
John L, General Manager at The Strand Hotel, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at the Strand and for detailing your experience. We constantly strive for excellence and so accept your feedback and will address all areas of concern

Vernon, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

Stayed here for 7 nights - the location of course is more than ideal. Literally a 1 minute walk up to 5th Ave and close to Herald's Square, Broadway, etc. It is situated on a side street so you don't have to worry about heavy traffic. My biggest grief was the construction noise from next door as there is another hotel being built beside The Strand. I couldn't figure out what exactly it was but everynight between 11pm-4am the noise was unbearable. Had to switch to the back of the building - lose the view but it was very peaceful and I had great sleep after making the change. Would recommend travelers to book in a corner room at the back of the building if you are staying here for any length of time. Restaurant staff was very courteous and attentive. Trendy and clean.

Room Tip: Book corner room at the back of the hotel
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

This boutique hotel on West 37th and 5th is well placed for exploration of NYC.
The concierge and door staff are excellent and very helpful.
The rooms are all well appointed and I d get one as high as you can for the great view north or indeed south to the Empire State Building 4 blocks away !
The roof top bar is breathtaking , cocktails overlooking the Manhattan skyline , hard to beat !

Room Tip: As high as you can get ?!!!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments about our dedicated team, appealing rooms, and ideal location. I’m so glad that you had a chance to see the amazing skyline view from our rooftop bar. Imagine it in springtime when we’ve rolled back the retractable glass roof and have the feeling that you are in reach touching the Empire State Building! Please come and see us again, any time of the year, hope to have the opportunity to personally welcoming you.

John Loizos

Been to The Strand Hotel? Share your experiences!