“Wonderful experience” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Florham Park, New Jersey
“Wonderful experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

We booked multiple rooms as well as adjoining rooms/suites for ourselves and our guests for our son's wedding weekend. The suites were used for the wedding party to get dressed the day of the wedding. We found the hotel is impeccably clean and the rooms are tastefully decorated. Other than the young lady from Group Sales with whom we had to work (she was frustrating to deal with as she had great difficulty understanding our needs, dates, etc.), the staff was amazingly gracious, accommodating and helpful. We could not have been more pleased in every way. And by NYC standards, the prices were pretty reasonable which was appreciated by our guests. We will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
John L, General Manager at The Strand Hotel, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for selecting the Strand for your son’s wedding. The fact that the Strand will be part of such joyous memories is humbling to us all. I was so pleased that you overall stay was wonderful and hope you will consider staying with us next time you are in NYC.
Congratulations on your son's wedding, we wish them all the happiness in the world!

John N. Loizos

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
  • Hungarian first
Falkirk, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

Just arrived back in Scotland at 07.14 this morning after staying for 5 nights at the Strand Hotel in New York, the location is perfect for all the major sights like Times Square and Broadway 15 minute walk, the rooms are of a reasonable size ours had a king size double which was very fluffy and comfortable, adequate wardrobe space for a short break, and a small bathroom with a walk in shower, great roof top bar where you can almost reach over to touch the empire state building. We received complimentary continental breakfast with our package which was excellent and saved a fair bit of money over the 5 days stay. The staff are great and could not be more helpfull, alsso they were not in your face for the obliagtory tip everyone alse looks for even if you ask someone the time !!!!! know what I mean. Macey,s and good shopping are within a 15 minute walk and the majority of the theatres are within a 15 to 25 minute walk up Broadway. This hotel is in a good location and a safe area. If arriving into Newark airport expect to pay around 90$ for a taxi to the hotel and return trip not cheap, you acn get a shuttle bus which cost less but may have 20 other people on board to drop off at varying locations, I would certainly recommend the Strand and would stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front of house and high up, the hotel has 20 floors and you will lok directly...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
John L, General Manager at The Strand Hotel, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Dear Guest.

Thank you so much for your kind comments and generous praise of our central location, comfy rooms, and attentive, friendly staff. I am very grateful for your recommendation and I hope we will have an opportunity to welcome you again, as well. Your pointers about airport transportation will certainly be helpful to other travelers, and I thank you again for taking the time to write from bonny Scotland.

Old Bridge, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012 via mobile

First off its in a great location. Very close to Penn station, macys, and the empire state building. Next the hotel is very clean, and front desk was pleasant.
OK the bad. The room went for $380 and there is no free breakfast, the room has a bottle of Fiji water for $8.50, that is not a typo. Next they do have a mini bar but... For another fee. I like to drink water at night but not for $8.50. There is a little Matt on the same block which is much cheaper. Room is small, but nice.

• Stayed September 2012
John L, General Manager at The Strand Hotel, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Dear Guest,

We are so pleased that you were able to enjoy all of the wonderful attractions that are steps away from the Strand. Our close proximity for your shopping at Macy’s, sight seeing of the iconic Empire State building and ease to all major transportation make the Strand a great central location. I hope that we will have the opportunity for hosing you again in the near future, and encourage you to contact me directly for the best available rates.

Conwy, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

First visit to NYC, myself, wife and our 14 year old son. Was a little apprehensive when booking as there are so many hotels to choose from. Wasn't disappointed.

On arrival was greeted by cheerful and friendly staff who got us checked in to the hotel quickly. The room was wonderful with a walk in shower, and all the usual facilities one would expect of a modern hotel.

We were delighted with the room with fantastic views overlooking the empire state building. Room was spacious enough for the three of us, beds really comfortable and had pillows that I could sleep on!

Breakfast was free and enough to start the day, pastries, cereal, cold meat, juice and tea/coffee. Gets really busy after 8.30 , but we were always early so was not an issue.

Hotel ideally suited for sightseeing and shopping. One minutes to the East and you are at fifth avenue, ten minutes West and you are on broadway and Times Square.

We didn't eat at the Hotel for evening meals as there are so many places in New York to dine.

The rooftop bar has spectacular views of the empire state building!!!

We have had a great trip and would highly recommend this hotel to anybody wanting a great central location.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

We are pleased to hear that your stay at The Strand was thoroughly enjoyable. Thank you for taking the time to write in detail about your family’s experience with us. I’m delighted that our central location and spectacular views of the Empire State Building gave you the exhilarating sense of being in the heart of the world’s greatest city.

I look forward to welcoming you again soon, and hope that on your next visit try you try our delicious cuisine from Chef Kelvin Fernandez in the Strand Bistro. Many Thanks for recommending The Strand!

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

Two weeks prior, I was in town with several girl friends and we stayed in a boutique hotel in SoHo. This time around, with my husband, we decided to stay midtown on 5th for several reasons...shopping on 5th and Reebok CrossFit on 5th. For a quick weekend getaway, we wanted to be close to everything we wanted to do. The Reebok CrossFit gym was right on the corner for our daily workouts and shopping was a few steps away as well.

Location: Great!
Rooms: Its smaller than other boutique places in NYC we've stayed at but not the smallest room we've stayed at either. They managed to fit a desk/dresser on one wall with enough room to pull a chair out before hitting the foot of the queen bed. 2 side tables and a side chair. A small closet with a safe tucked inside. Clean room and bathroom but needs an upgrade due to visible marks on the bathroom sink and desk.
Restaurant: We only had breakfast there, a bit pricey and they got my husbands order incorrect and didn't offer to fix it. We were in a hurry so we didn't pursue the issue.
Bar (Top of the Strand): They had the whole thing shutdown one night from 4-10p for a private function and they sent up a free drink coupon that same night. We found that odd but I suppose it was meant to be for the next night? We did enjoy the bar/DJ the following evening and the view of Empire State was spectacular. It was raining that evening so the roof was closed but the view was nevertheless fantastic.
Front desk/reception: Pleasant, we arrived early so they didn't have our room ready but they did call us when it was which was much appreciated.
Doormen: Pleasant and helpful when they were there. I'm not sure if they had shift work or they weren't supposed to be there at night but it wasn't consistent. One doorman stood in the foyer while we were trying to come in from the rain. Another doorman was fabulous in hailing us a cab.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing. I’m glad that the rain didn’t spoil your visit to NYC, and that you enjoyed our rooftop bar even with its retractable glass covering in place. As you pointed, the Empire State Building looks spectacular from there, even on a rainy night. I am grateful that you took the time to write about your visit to the Strand, and very happy that the room and our location were ideal for your needs.

Cockeysville Hunt Valley, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

I stayed at The Strand in NYC this week, and it is a safe, sumptuous, clean, first-rate hotel in central Manhattan, one you could return to again & again, and know you will have a fine stay. My room was on the 9th floor, and street noise was negligible (& with heavy curtains drawn, not an issue at all). As others have mentioned, the front desk staff is extremely friendly (& knew me by name, Ms. ______, each time I came or went!). The mid-size room size is typical for an upscale New York hotel, with all the amenities: beautiful decor, granite-&-glass bathroom, two robes, turn-down service (of the beds), an in-room safe, privacy/clean-my-room "buttons" (instead of a hanging sign for the outdoor doorknob). The smallish roof terrace bar and its view are awesome; I just went up the elevator to look at it, but would definitely make sure I dawdled with a drink up there next time. Breakfast is in the full-size hotel restaurant/bar just off the lobby, and it was quickly served (it is not just a buffet); my room rate did include a complimentary continental breakfast, which included a nice amount of mixed fruit, four mini-pastries (1 croissant, 1 roll, 1 danish, and 1 muffin), plus butter and jam (nicely presented), and coffee (normally priced at $18 -- ok, so it's New York). Since I was visiting a family member in the city for late brunch, I did not mind the lack of protein (& could have ordered eggs, omelets & more for a charge). Free wifi (in the room, & I assume throughout the hotel) was also available, using a password provided during check-in. A small Business Center was useful for copying & printing out things. The TV and the remote worked fine, check-in & check-out were quick, easy & accurate, porters and the usual carts were available to help with my luggage, and a nearby garage cost $43/day (again, it's NYC)(on 36th, almost to 5th Ave). The bed was very very comfortable, & lovely. The only reason I'm not giving The Strand five stars (though I might give it 4&1/2) is that the lobby is small (decorated quite well, but small) and a few minor things that are important to me:
(1) I would have preferred the room service dinner for two be delivered on a rolling table (my computer & devices and various cords were already filling up the desk, & had to be cleared to make room for the food)(but to be fair, the two dinner salads we ordered came in less than 30 minutes & were really quite good);
(2) the lighting was good, and in particular the desk lamp and the lamp between the beds were large and stable, but I would have preferred for them to be on a base with at leas two electrical outlets: I had to search high & low to find enough wall outlets for my computer, phone, & iPad;
(3) there was a small horizontal stain on one of the window drapes (4" long?), perhaps not a big deal, but that and the small lobby cost The Strand a fifth star from me;
(4) the desk pen provided was starting to lose ink, so it was frustrating to write with;
(5) view from the room is nothing special, just lots of buildings.
Lastly, I want to add here that I have no idea what "tomuchtravel" was talking about, in his/her one-star review of The Strand; I have stayed in hotels all over NYC, and The Strand is definitely a very nice, top-drawer hotel. To call its area "desolate" is bizarre: The Strand is in the Garment District, between 5th & 6th Avenues, in practically the very center of New York! Cabs & people are everywhere! It's a terrific base for a stay in the city. I recommend it. (It can be pricey, but I used an on-line discount service, and was practically grateful I could find such a nice hotel for $340/night during Fashion Week; in contrast, I stayed in an equally nice hotel, nearby, in late August, when the city was dead, and only paid $200/night.)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Your detailed, positive remarks are deeply appreciated, and I thank you for taking the time to write a review. Your summary of The Strand as “safe, sumptuous, and first rate” makes me and all of the team feel extremely proud, and we are grateful to you for sharing your thoughts. Be assured that you will be greeted with that same high level of care and personal service on your next visit. I hope you will consider The Strand as your home in New York.

Manhasset, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

Stayed 2 nights at The Strand, upon arriving the staff where extremely friendly. We arrived too early for our room to be ready so we were offered tea and coffee while we waited. The room was normal NYC hotel size, which we found to be more than enough room for the 2 of us. The beds are very comfortable, rooms very clean. The view from our room of the empire state building was beautiful. The roof top bar nice and relaxing in the afternoon, more upbeat in the evening. Fantastic view! We ate one night at the hotel restaurant. The food was beautiful, one of the best meals in NY. The Strand Hotel is the only hotel we would stay at in NYC.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Nothing makes me happier than knowing that your visit to The Strand exceeded your expectations. Thank you for mentioning that your meal at the Strand Bistro was one of the best you’ve had in NYC, because that competition is stiff, as we all know. I appreciate your taking time to write about the courtesy and care you received from our dedicated staff, and I’ll pass your praise along to the team.

Many thanks,

John N. Loizos

Been to The Strand Hotel? Share your experiences!