“Perfect for a place to stay” 4 of 5 stars

The Jane
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   113 Jane Street, New York City, NY (West Village)   |
Ranked #313 of 464 Hotels in New York City
Honolulu, Hawaii
“Perfect for a place to stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Good value for a west side Manhattan hotel. Stayed in the bunk bed room. Small, but when we spent all day out and about, its worth it. Baths are nice. Hotel is also a 2 minute walk from a parking garage.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
  • Finnish first
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

After reading so many great reviews I figured I'd give this place a try. I wanted to write this review to warn people about the potential nightmare they may face if they choose to stay here. The Jane has bed bugs. If I felt that this place actually treated the rooms properly to attempt to remove the problem then I wouldn't be so harsh, but I highly doubt that this place takes the steps necessary to rid its rooms of bed bugs.

I stayed here July 5-8. I cut my stay by a night after finding bed bugs. That's when my nightmare began and my trip took a turn for the worst. I noticed the bites on my arm and a few on my legs. After seeing a bug on my bed I went immediately to the front desk and told them. They seemed to doubt that I had bed bugs even after I showed them my arm and the bug. Anyway, they set me up in a new room, provided me with new linens, had me shower, and “treated” my stuff. After getting into my new room and getting my "treated" clothes back to wear I went to the restroom and found a bed bug on my bra and one seemed to fall from my hair or shoulder. At that point I had to get out. I told the front desk again. They "treated" my clothes again and I showered. I booked myself into the Hilton. It was late so I had to book it for the following night. I ended up spending the remainder of the night hanging out in the Jane lobby. In the middle of the night the doorman brought my “treated” belongings back. They had supposedly been treated with heat, but oddly enough a number of the items were not warm. I didn't sleep wink that night. Early in the morning I headed to the Hilton.

After leaving the Jane I found a bug on me the next day.

Below is a list of the damage. I was charged for all of my nights booked at the Jane even the night I spent in the lobby ($105 to hang out in the lobby). My night at the Hilton was $250. In the next town I visited I had to book extra nights at a hotel rather than staying with a friend ($500). I was afraid of bringing bed bugs to his place. I ended up throwing out many of my belongings ($250+) that I brought on my trip out of fear that there might be bed bugs on them, and that doesn't factor in the items I damaged while trying to clean what I kept. I bought a box (thermalstriker ranger) to heat my belonging in order to kill the bed bugs that might be there ($200+). I lost a lot of sleep and "free" time during my trip. I spent hours on my trip washing my clothes multiple times, cleaning my suitcase, and doing whatever I could to help resolve the problem (packing everything in ziplock bags). The bugs could have been anywhere. I didn't want my boyfriend hugging me. I didn't want to sit on things. I was afraid (still am) of my belongings thinking that they may be contaminated.

The physical, mental, emotional, and financial stress caused by this is not worth staying at the Jane. I am traumatized by this. I'm home now and I'm still freaking out. Washing the clothes I've worn. Heating up/treating my luggage. Afraid to sit on my couch in case there is anything on me.

I understand that you could get bed bugs from any place, but I truly believe that the problem at the Jane is due to the fact that they are not taking care of the problems they have. The place seems to be infested.

Peace of mind worth a lot. Spend a little more and stay somewhere else that's cleaner and more trustworthy. In the end I spent so much on this mess. In case you weren't counting in my above paragraph this has cost me an additional $1200 and counting.

The Hilton was great. It was clean. The staff was awesome. Even after I told them that I came from a place that had bed bugs they couldn’t have been nicer. They even sent the head of house keeping up to look at all my belongings. She inspected all of my clothes and my suitcase. They were just fabulous. Totally wished I would have stayed there from the beginning.

Do yourself a favor and don’t stay at the Jane. It may be cheap and charming, but it isn’t worth it. I think the psychological issues I got from this will last long after my bug bites are gone. Every time I see a speck of dirt or feel the movement of a piece of thread against my skin I think there might be a bug on me.

If my review doesn't convince you to not stay here then google some of the other jane reviews that involve bed bugs.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

If you make up your mind before for tiny rooms and shared bathroom, you will find it awesome. Because, except these two, everything is excellent from price, location, staff and cleanliness. Perfect for solo visitors.

Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Columbia, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

I grew up a few blocks from the Jane, back in the 60's, so I have somewhat of a vantage point. Build in 1907 as a rest spot for sailors, this hotel breathes history and is in superb condition. It housed survivors from the Titanic in 1912. Beautiful building with a historic lobby and bar. Also has a restaurant.

Located in a great neighborhood in the West Village, two block from the High Line and right across the street from the Hudson River and park. Loads of restaurants. Only a mile or two from midtown Manhattan and the theater district. The prices of the rooms are reasonable, low to mid 100's for the smaller rooms and mid 200's for the larger rooms.

There are three types of rooms, the Standard, the Bunk, and the Captain's Cabins. The Standard, which is one bed, and the Bunk which is two beds, have the same incredibly small size of 50 square feet. That's about the same size as the bathrooms in most regular hotels. Don't forget that these rooms were build for sailors over a hundred years ago. It's especially tight in the Bunk rooms, where it's pretty easy to fall off the ladder right onto the person below.
The Captain's Cabins are much larger at 250 square feet.

The bathrooms and showers are shared down the hall and are very clean and offer sufficient privacy. The restaurant is nice but overpriced. The front desk and lobby staff are very courteous as are the staff that cleans the rooms, but some of the maintenance staff that clean the halls and bathrooms are less than polite. Lastly, the lamp fixtures over the bunks in our room had loose wires and seemed potentially dangerous.

I would recommend the bunk rooms only for people that either have good gymnastic skills and/or are up to the adventure of it all. The standard cabins with one bed are better. I would recommend the Captain's rooms for those that have more money to spend and don't want to deal with the gymnastics.

Overall, despite the flaws, this hotel is an adventure well worth having.

Room Tip: Don't try to fit two people into the single bed standard cabins. The mattresses aren't larg...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

The Jane's location is fantastic especially if you plan to spend time wandering around the West Village and Chelsea. The area is laid back but central. The budget rooms are TINY but what they lack in size they make up for in character and quirkiness. The shared bathroom was always clean and shiny in our experience. Best of all, the staff are charming, super friendly, and couldn't have done any more to make our stay fun and easy. Really amazing value for Manhattan.

Room Tip: There was a bit of door slamming going on in the corridor. I guess the rooms furthest from the bathr...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

The Jane Hotel feels like a place a Wes Anderson film was based on. Well designed, everything is considered, but still subtle, charming, authentic and low key. Everyone told me not to stay there because of the small rooms and communal bathrooms, but everything is tight quarters in New York - so deal with it - it's only $100 a night and in a great part of town! Plus, I think that adds to the charm and immediately attracts a unique breed of clientele to the place. It's like sleeping on a boat. Even if you don't stay there, the bar is awesome. Free open wifi is a huge plus too. The only negative I had was the smell of cigarette smoke in my room.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

The Jane.............where to start??? This hotel was sooo good in sooo many ways!! First off, the location is awesome; far enough away from the craziness of midtown; but walking distance to most of NYC attractions! If not walking distance, there are bikes avalible or subways (5 min walk from hotel). Secondly, the staff was amazing and kinda hilarious; from the moment we arrived they went out of there way to help us with anything we needed (bags, resturant recomendations, directions, car service, ect.) all while smiling, joking around and/or singing. Between the location and staff I would definately stay here again!!

I was traveling with my boyfriend and when I told him we were staying in a hotel with bunk beds and shared coed bathrooms, he definately thought I was crazy and that we would be scrambling to find new accomidations for the weekend, but shockingly he seemed to love it as much as I did!! As advertised the rooms are tiny.... but equipted with everything you need for a weekend in the city. Bathrobes, towels, toiletries, slippers and water were supplied and despite the size of the room we had more than enough storage space for our clothes and shoes. We were only visiting for 3 nights, so bunk beds were not an issue for us. The room and bathrooms were very clean, and although it is a very old building, it appeared to be maintained well without losing its character.

There is a bar downstairs which gets very busy on the weekends, we stayed on the 3rd floor and could not hear anything, the only slightly annoying thing about this bar is after arriving back to the hotel after a long day is having to wait/squeeze through the lobby to get up to your room. This wasnt a big issue for us, but worth a mention.

I would 100% stay at the Jane again, maybe we opt for one larger bed opposed to bunkbeds if we were to stay longer than 3 nights next time.....

Overall, great hotel with a great history ( do the ' free tours by foot' darkside of the High Line if you want to hear some cool stories about The Jane), all for a great price!!!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to The Jane? Share your experiences!