“Small but grand.” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #300 of 464 Hotels in New York City
Brussels, Belgium
“Small but grand.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

I spent three nights on the third floor. The cabin sure is small, but it is full of character and fits all travel needs. You can smartly store your luggage under the bed or on the shelve above it, plug in your chargers and surf the web or slip into your bathrobe and go take a rain shower. Room was a little cold at night but it was winter time after all. Housekeeping did a good job and the shared bathroom was clean at any time of the day.
Staff is professional and correct.

Plus: a charming neighbourhood with plenty of breakfast opportunities and historic sights. I'll be back!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor if you're a light sleeper. I didn't have any trouble sleepi...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
  • Finnish first
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

Super unique hotel tucked far away from the hustle. At the west end of Jane Street with views of the Hudson and Jersey. The interior is pretty neat and the common areas are filled with character. We had a bunk room which was unbelievably small, but it really made no difference to us, I was travelling with my father and we didn't spend much time in the room anyways. We obviously had no bathroom in out room due to the size, but the common/shared bathrooms were squeaky clean and the showers ran hot water at all hours of the day.

Overall a great value for the location and there seems to be plenty going on just a short walk from the general area. The night we were there the ground floor common room was closed for a private party which looked really neat. If you're just looking for a place to stay with great vibes and a helpful staff, this is totally the place. If you're not minimalist travelers like we are and want a big room with your own bathroom, probably not the place to stay

That being said:
10/10 would stay again.

Room Tip: The bunk rooms are literally the size of a closet. But in NYC, will you be spending all that much ti...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Newbury Park, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

We had a room on the fifth floor overlooking the Hudson, with a view of Jersey Skyline, Statue of Liberty, and even the new World Trade Center. The staff was excellent, more than friendly and accommodating, and the location within walking distance of many Village restaurants and clubs. The bed was huge and comfortable. The restaurant off the lobby has a great menu, though we only had a nice breakfast, the coffee delicious. If you're looking for a quaint hotel with a history on a cobblestone street, this is the one. It's not extravagant by any means, but lovely nonetheless. We look forward to a return on our next visit to New York.

Room Tip: If you want Hudson River view I would recommend the fifth floor as it a bit removed from the busy we...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

The Jane is an historic hotel in the Meatpacking District. With a colourful history it has been renovated but still retains its charm. Rooms are small but good value and it feels like a great New York experience in a great location.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

The hotel and rooms are styled in a maritime way (but not tacky!). The design of the rooms is so clever, that’s amazing. I stayed in a single room. It is small but as for the clever layout, hooks and hidden spaces I didn’t mind the small space. I was exploring the city anyway. There was always fresh drinking water, a bath rope and slippers… so even it’s not expensive and small… they try to give you the max luxury they can.

As I was traveling on my own... I actually liked the share bathroom area. I met some nice people while brushing my teeth. It’s very clean and the design of the bathroom ties in with the design concept of the hotel and the history of the house.

I found the staff is exceptional friendly.

The independent cafe downstairs has such a lovey style to it… I could have stayed there all day. Food/coffee/tea was great… healthy food options and no silly buffet, where so much food is wasted.

The locations is super… just down the road from the Highline and walking distance from Chelsea Market and from many other nice independent cafes and restaurant…. And next to the river. I often didn’t use the Metro and just walked for there. You get the total New York feeling.

As I mentioned… I love this Hotel. I’m already planning my next trip there. I would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

If you actually want to sleep don't come to this hotel. It's 1:30 am and while the staff is very nice they haven't been able to find us a room that isn't next to a blaring dance party or the inconsistent rumble of motorcycles along the west side highway. Not to mention the temperature control is awful. I would never come here again.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Brussels, Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

It is the second time we come back to the Jane. And we love it. Even if the music of the bar does wake us up at night during the week ends ! The atmosphere is bohemian, the look superb and the service excellent.
We choose a captain's room, a great choice.
Great dining room with a retro look and a superb bar.
We come back the first week of February, that tells it all !

Room Tip: We love room 201, good size and great view on the Hudson
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business

Been to The Jane? Share your experiences!