“Could Have Been More Acommodating” 2 of 5 stars

You added The Jane to your Saves list
The Jane
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   113 Jane Street, New York City, NY (West Village)   |
Ranked #300 of 464 Hotels in New York City
“Could Have Been More Acommodating”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

This past Thanksgiving I had a problem adjusting the heat (it was too hot). I was okay turning the air conditioner on for a while to adjust the temperature. At 9pm the room's smoke detector sounded approximately 8 times. The battery was replaced. At 4:15am the detector again sounded numerous times, waking me up from my sleep. The staff removed the detector from the room, which concerned me in the event a fire were to occur. I was told to e-mail the Front Desk Manager, who would compensate me for my loss of sleep. Several weeks later they responded saying the MAY be able to give me a DISCOUNT on a future stay. My reason for my overnight stay was to have a good night's sleep, and I'm disappointed in the hotel's response. Though I have liked staying at the hotel in the past, I am now thinking of staying at others in the future.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
The_Jane, Front Office Manager at The Jane, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
Thanks for writing.

As your stay was on Thanksgiving and you are writing less than two weeks after the holiday, your claim of a response from management "several weeks" after your stay would appear to be incorrect. A response was sent on Monday. If the auto-response out of office email you received was unclear I apologize as I did in my initial response to your complaint. Any of our managers would have been happy to address your concern immediately should you have emailed reservations as was suggested in the out of office response. I'll do my best to address this additional complaint as swiftly as possible as I'm now back from vacation.

Our heating system is quite old and difficult to regulate throughout the building. I'm glad to hear that you were able to regulate the temperature in the room to make it comfortable. I apologize again for the smoke alarm. Technical malfunctions do happen from time to time, but we try to minimize discomfort for our guests whenever possible.

As you wrote that you were considering a future trip to The Jane we did offer the possibility of a discount based upon availability. We are required to let you know that requests are "based upon availability" because if all of our rooms are booked we are unable to offer a room at all. I'm sorry if you felt this was inadequate compensation.

Thanks again for the note. We wish you all the best in your future travels.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
  • Finnish first
Westminster, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

For a weekend in December where its impossible to find a room for two (separate beds) for under $270, The Jane was a great find ($145 incl. tax). I stayed one night there (5th Floor bunk cabin) during a weekend visit with a friend and it is literally a step back into the past with the quality of any other Manhattan hotel albeit on a smaller scale.

It also boasts a pretty popular club which draws in large crowds at night so be prepared if you arrive at that time. You can hear the music outside but it doesn't carry through the hotel.

It was nice to get out of the busy city but still have a great experience- the seaman's hotel was built in 1908 and housed Titanic Survivors.

Service: The hotel has room service and a restaurant but my friend and I didn't use those. The doormen who greeted us and the front desk clerks were polite and dressed as early 20th Century bellhops.

Rooms: The bunk cabins are definitely small and though there's adequate storage below the bed, if you have large luggage, you'll lose valuable space. The Bunk Beds were comfortable and the room clean and very authentic. Each bed has its own tv. My only complaint was that the heater/air conditioner didn't seem to work so we either had to leave it on the set temp (which got cold overnight) or turn it off (which got warm and stuffy).

Bathrooms: The Bathrooms are shared with two on each floor. Each only had two-three toilets and two showers but they were all fully separated and enclosed with a long vanity and a few sinks out in the middle. The waterfall showers were fantastic- they're large and it's easy to get warm water. Each guest gets a bathrobe and uber comfy slippers and there's enough room to hang them on the back of the door without getting them wet (If you don't want to be barefoot in the shower, you'll need flip flops). The bathroom was as clean as any private bathroom I've had and never busy.

Location: Located in Chelsea on the West Side, the hotel's about three or four miles from the heart of Times Square but its easy to take the subway from Penn Station to 14th Street and walk a few short blocks. We got off the subway around midnight and I'll admit the area is a bit sketchy after dark but it was bustling in the morning and is actually a nice little town (not too much in entertainment though). The hotel is easy to find and close to the 8th street subway as well and the Chelsea Piers and Highline.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
We're happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that the details and staff were not lost on you! We would be happy to see you again soon. Please reach out if there is anything we can do in the meantime.
worldwide
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

I stayed here for a week, in one of the Captain's rooms, and loved it. There are many wonderful things about this hotel: The staff, the location, the decor and, of course, the bikes!
I felt very welcome here. The staff really go out of their way to assist you with anything - they seem to employ genuinely nice people.
Location is convenient to both east and west downtown, and not too far to Brooklyn either.
I've stayed in various hotels in NYC and for me 'the Jane' wins for charm, location and ambience.
I felt like a real lady chilling out at the Jane. Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
We're so glad you enjoyed yourself. Come back and see us soon!
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

Read all the reviews and thought it sounded cool. The room was actually bigger than I expected--it is NYC after all. But the goods news stopped there. Heat was not controllable --its either on or off and the 'engineer' turned it off but we had to turn on the air conditioner to be able to sleep. And the AC was a ferocious noise--not fixable.
The front desk staff was too into talking to each other to spend any time expeditiously helping guests--from help finding starbucks , to finding a gym off site (no work out facilities on site) to getting a taxi to late check out--it was all too much trouble. Sigh

So although it was only (?) $350 for the night it was not worth it.
A bright note the Cafe G is open all day and the food is quite nice--service good.

Room Tip: Be careful--many of the rooms are directly on the west side highway--noisy noisy noisy
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Thanks for writing. I am sorry to hear that you ran into some issues during your stay. Should you come back to see us again I would suggest requesting a room which faces the exterior of the building. These often have better airflow and are generally cooler for guests who prefer lower temperatures. We generally get a flood of positive responses about the staff, so I'm very sorry to read this. I will see what I can do to address this moving forward.

Thanks again for the note.
Vancouver, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

This hotel is a great deal. The property is very unique. The rooms are very small, but designed like an old ships cabin. The restrooms are down the hall.
The restaurant is very good.
The lounge is classic.
The staff is wonderful.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
We're so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I'll be certain to send the staff your best!

Come back soon...
Seinajoki, Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

Spent a night here with my boyfriend on the way home. The place looks really cool inside, like an old cruise boat and everything was clean. Shared bathroom was close by and also clean. Our room was really really tiny, but there was everything we needed and the staff was really nice. Boyfriend is 6ft tall and he had no trouble sleeping in the bunk bed. There were water bottles in the room, which was a nice touch. Only bad things were that the heater was heating A LOT (might be that we just didn't know how to operate the thing) and that the hotel isn't really close to the metro or the sights. As an experience or for people who don't plan on being in the room a lot, I'd recommend any time. I really liked the place.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks for taking the time to write. We're happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay!

I apologize if the heat was overbearing. Please feel free to request a room which faces the exterior of the building for next time as these often have better airflow.

We hope to see you again soon!
PDX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

We booked our night here as we were laying over on our way to Philadelphia. What a treat. My husband and I were upgraded to a Captains Cabin, despite only booking the double bunk room.
After a long flight, we decided to have dinner in the restaurant. The food was well priced and the service was excellent.
The room itself was spacious and spotlessly clean. Though finding the rooms can be a little confusing as the halls are catacomb like. Reviews I read spoke about a rooftop bar, however it's only open for functions.
There is a downstairs bar/club which at about 3am, I was woken to the soft pounding of music. Slightly annoying, but not so disturbing I couldn't get back to sleep.
The bathrooms are well appointed with large, deep bathtubs. So deep they may be a problem for some people to get in and out of as the bath walls are rather high.
We had breakfast in the same restaurant the next morning and it was a wonderful surprise to this Australian to see they had Vegemite on Toast on the menu!
All in all we had a great stay at The Jane - if I was a tourist visiting NYC for a longer length of time, I think I would choose a hotel closer to the attractions. However if you don't mind the subway / bus travel to your daily attractions, this would be an ideal hotel for you!

Room Tip: Spend a couple of extra bucks a night and get a room with facilities. If you do, ask if you can get...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Thanks for writing! We're so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you again soon. Let us know if we can do anything else in the meantime.

Warm Regards.

Been to The Jane? Share your experiences!