“Better choices elsewhere!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #308 of 464 Hotels in New York City
Hamilton, Canada
“Better choices elsewhere!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

Electrical power in the room depends on plugging in your room key so forget about charging a computer, phone, e-reader or iPad while you're out touring the city. Multiple doors between your room and the shared bathroom mean an all night symphony of banging doors keeping you awake. When I asked for a "top up" of my morning coffee, I was not advised that the coffee was neither bottomless nor included with the breakfast ... $7.00 for coffee on day 1! Last straw ... Just walked out of the hotel bar having been told in no uncertain terms that photos were NOT allowed. I won't be back in this lifetime!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
The_Jane, Front Office Manager at The Jane, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Thanks for writing and for your comments. While we are a green property we are happy to offer our guests an additional power rod to charge their electronics if they should like. Please feel free to call down to the front desk in order to request one. While our rooms are compact and numerous there are areas of the hotel which have less traffic. We are happy to place you in one of these rooms if at all possible. I'm sorry if you were confused regarding coffee refills. Cafe Gitane serves some fantastic coffee, however refills are not complimentary. If you would like photographs of our ballroom please feel free to visit our website www.thejanenyc.com. I am sorry if our policy regarding photography was inconvenient for you. Thanks again for writing.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
  • Finnish first
Bendigo, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

I travelled to NYC in October, 2012 with my mum and the Jane hotel was perfect for my stay. Please people if you are used to luxury hotels don’t bother. NYC is an expensive place and you get what you pay for. Yes the rooms are tiny, but I was out and about all day every day and the Jane was just used as my sleeping pad. The staff are extremely friendly and helpful and the cafe attached to the hotel is the cutest place for a morning cuppa or arvo wind down drink. I felt super safe in the neighbourhood and it was a short walk to the subway. There are plenty of bars and restaurants around the area and from some bathrooms you can even get a tiny glimpse of the statue of liberty. The shared bathrooms were no problem for us they were always clean and tidy. There was no issue with the bathrooms being full as there a few on each floor and people are generally pretty quick. I would recommend this hotel for the budget traveller, but I stress again if you are a luxury person this hotel is not for you!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Thanks for writing. We're so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again soon!

Please let us know if we can assist you with anything else in the meantime.
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

The rooms are very small with no closet. However, I learned to utilize hooks, shelving, etc. Soon everything had a spot.
Bathroom down hallway - no problem accessing toilet and sink. But shower on my floor was never available when I needed it. You can use one on another floor though.
Restaurant was great spot for breakfast. Hotel staff was friendly and helpful.
The room rate can't be beat. In fact, I am returning in April for another stay.
It's quirky, but it works fine for me!

• Stayed September 2012
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

My friend and I booked The Jane hotel because she had been to the Jane Ballroom on her previous visit and liked the ambience of the hotel - we were not disappointed. We stayed in room 201 (a Captain’s Cabin) with a view over the Hudson and the Statue of Liberty in the distance. The bed was amazingly comfortable and made it difficult to get up in the morning! It is right next to the highway and you can hear the club but it didn’t keep us awake at all. Slept better there than at home!

The staff couldn’t do enough and brought us extra blankets in the early hours, were always very courteous on reception and extremely helpful. The location is excellent with the Highline just a block away which takes you all the way to 30th street. It’s a close walk from Greenwich Villiage and Soho.

The cafe is also good and we enjoyed the club on one of the nights, it does get very busy though.

I would definitely stay here again and will certainly be recommending it to my friends.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

It had been a few years since my hostel days and I honestly thought they were over, but when I came across the amazing pricing of this cabin at the Jane (70 USD/night), in the heart of the meatpacking district, I couldn't resist

The hotel had amazing reviews, also helped by its bar and restaurant which I have come to understand are particularly hot spots for the new 20s generation. I have tried both and can confirm cocktails are properly done, and served in a retro / baroque charming ambience, and café Gitane is really good, a sort of a sofisticated diner with a decent wine list

So, coming to the review of the hotel, here are the key elements I was concerned about:

- Shared bathroom (no wonder). Nowhere I had found how many rooms actually share the bathroom, this is an important factor not just for cleanliness (which, confirming other reviews, was no issue at all) of the facilities, but to have an idea of how busy it will be typically in the morning. So for the 6th floor I can say there were 14 rooms (some of which with bunk beds) sharing a bathroom made of 2 toilets, 1 shower and a small basin which would give you only hot water. It was not too bad, I felt that given the shared nature of the facility no one abused of his/her time in the shower or in the toilet, and I very rarely had to queue
- Noise. After all those raving reviewes on bar and restaurant, I was quite worried the music would keep me awake, but there was not even an hint of that in the room. On the other hand, the heating system is really old and has got a personality, so the first night I was woken up in the middle of the night by some heavy banging on metal, and the second night I simply went to sleep with wax ear plugs as it was all a gurgle of water through the pipes, plus banging of metal every now and then. It was not particualrly upsetting, quite fascinating in a way, but bring your earplugs if you are a light sleeper
- Patrons. From the look of some of the patrons I met in the lift, in the lobby or on my floor, this is not just an hotel where you can hang out for a couple of days, this is also very affordable (value for money) accomodation in an amazing neighbourood of Manhattan. So you won't just find the young crowd you would normally see in a hostel, sometimes it is middle age men and women with a street outfit (ie. might have slept in the park if it was not so cold). Nothing harmful, if any quite interesting for me but if you don't like such things better stay away

Having said that, the cabin is very small but well organised, not sure how a claustrophobic would feel but I quite enjoyed its cosiness. Unless you have a trunk for luggage you should be able to fit it on the floor or under the bed I had no view but being on the 6th floor I got a lot of daylight, which was very nice. Cherry on the icing, the staff is incredibly friendly - not just for New York standards.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

Just got home from a short three night business/pleasure stay in NYC. I found this funky little gem through a Google search. The rooms are beyond small... I chose the bunks as I was traveling with an assistant. The rooms and hotel are wonderfully "campy" with great character. One of us would have to leave the room while the other got dressed. I thought the shared bathrooms would become a problem as we did have meetings, but I never waited for a shower or toilet. I would have liked to have seen the "private" rooms for size and comfort. The staff was very helpful!!!
We peeked our head into the night club ( also funky) and it always had a short line to get in :-) The cafe was a wonderful touch with a nice little menu. Neighborhood offers everything you need being between Chelsea and the Village, and only a short walk 5 minutes to the subway, and if you are lucky...a view of the Statue of Liberty out your bathroom window with a reflection in the mirror.
I would offer this property to the person on a tight budget, easy going traveler or a person who uses the term Funky Monkey.

Room Tip: Do not get the bunk rooms if you have large luggage!! This is a room for the light traveler.