“Single girl in single cabin with shared bathroom” 4 of 5 stars

The Jane
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   113 Jane Street, New York City, NY (Manhattan)   |
Ranked #282 of 457 Hotels in New York City
London, United Kingdom
“Single girl in single cabin with shared bathroom”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

It had been a few years since my hostel days and I honestly thought they were over, but when I came across the amazing pricing of this cabin at the Jane (70 USD/night), in the heart of the meatpacking district, I couldn't resist

The hotel had amazing reviews, also helped by its bar and restaurant which I have come to understand are particularly hot spots for the new 20s generation. I have tried both and can confirm cocktails are properly done, and served in a retro / baroque charming ambience, and café Gitane is really good, a sort of a sofisticated diner with a decent wine list

So, coming to the review of the hotel, here are the key elements I was concerned about:

- Shared bathroom (no wonder). Nowhere I had found how many rooms actually share the bathroom, this is an important factor not just for cleanliness (which, confirming other reviews, was no issue at all) of the facilities, but to have an idea of how busy it will be typically in the morning. So for the 6th floor I can say there were 14 rooms (some of which with bunk beds) sharing a bathroom made of 2 toilets, 1 shower and a small basin which would give you only hot water. It was not too bad, I felt that given the shared nature of the facility no one abused of his/her time in the shower or in the toilet, and I very rarely had to queue
- Noise. After all those raving reviewes on bar and restaurant, I was quite worried the music would keep me awake, but there was not even an hint of that in the room. On the other hand, the heating system is really old and has got a personality, so the first night I was woken up in the middle of the night by some heavy banging on metal, and the second night I simply went to sleep with wax ear plugs as it was all a gurgle of water through the pipes, plus banging of metal every now and then. It was not particualrly upsetting, quite fascinating in a way, but bring your earplugs if you are a light sleeper
- Patrons. From the look of some of the patrons I met in the lift, in the lobby or on my floor, this is not just an hotel where you can hang out for a couple of days, this is also very affordable (value for money) accomodation in an amazing neighbourood of Manhattan. So you won't just find the young crowd you would normally see in a hostel, sometimes it is middle age men and women with a street outfit (ie. might have slept in the park if it was not so cold). Nothing harmful, if any quite interesting for me but if you don't like such things better stay away

Having said that, the cabin is very small but well organised, not sure how a claustrophobic would feel but I quite enjoyed its cosiness. Unless you have a trunk for luggage you should be able to fit it on the floor or under the bed I had no view but being on the 6th floor I got a lot of daylight, which was very nice. Cherry on the icing, the staff is incredibly friendly - not just for New York standards.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
  • Finnish first
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

Just got home from a short three night business/pleasure stay in NYC. I found this funky little gem through a Google search. The rooms are beyond small... I chose the bunks as I was traveling with an assistant. The rooms and hotel are wonderfully "campy" with great character. One of us would have to leave the room while the other got dressed. I thought the shared bathrooms would become a problem as we did have meetings, but I never waited for a shower or toilet. I would have liked to have seen the "private" rooms for size and comfort. The staff was very helpful!!!
We peeked our head into the night club ( also funky) and it always had a short line to get in :-) The cafe was a wonderful touch with a nice little menu. Neighborhood offers everything you need being between Chelsea and the Village, and only a short walk 5 minutes to the subway, and if you are lucky...a view of the Statue of Liberty out your bathroom window with a reflection in the mirror.
I would offer this property to the person on a tight budget, easy going traveler or a person who uses the term Funky Monkey.

Room Tip: Do not get the bunk rooms if you have large luggage!! This is a room for the light traveler.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

The Jane has the advantage of a great location in a beautiful neighborhood in the West village that is quiet and safe. Next to Hudson St Greenwich St and West 4th st that are abundant with great little restaurants, cafes, and stores. Also just a few blocks away from the 8th ave/14th st ACE stop. The service was great, all the employees were polite and respectful with a smile on their face at all times. The room was much smaller than expected, even after I went through all the available pics online. My only recommendation is the addition of some hangers - bring your own! Also, a room sink and some tissues would be awesome as the bathrooms use air dryers. Nevertheless, the room was clean, comfortable under the circumstances and provided a bottle of water every day. The bathrooms were reasonably clean and I pretty much never had a problem using the bathroom/shower throughout my stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
The_Jane, Front Office Manager at The Jane, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Thanks for writing. We're happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay! Please do let us know if you'd like tissues or additional hangers on your return trip as we are happy to provide them.

Hope to see you again soon!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

The Jane is a hidden gem, off the beaten path in NYC. My husband and I are not routine travelers to the City, and we are easily lost and overwhelmed, so finding the Jane was a delight for us. The location in the West Village was great and easy to fine. The hotel staff was very friendly and went out of their way to help any way they could. There is a quirky charm at the hotel that we found endearing. The rooms were clean and the shared bathroom situation wasn't a problem either. We would stay again.

Stayed September 2012
Thanks for writing. We're very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay! Come back soon...
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

I have stayed a few times. The standard cabin and sharing bathrooms - isn't really for me anymore. I pay extra for a single room with its own bathroom and am delighted to do so. Good wifi is included. Rooms are well maintained and v clean. Great location. Friendly staff always on hand.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
We're happy to hear that you're enjoying the Captain's Cabin! We hope to see you again soon... Thanks for writing.
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

This hotel reminds me of The Shining, and also of every nightclub fire disaster I've ever read about. I'm not that clausterphobic of a person, but something about the narrow hallways and low ceilings, which seem even lower if you're in the top bunk, make it feel more like a crypt. Which I'm sure is really cool for photoshoots or a drink downstairs, but I would highly advise against actually sleeping here.

In case you're not already hyperventilating from lack of space, you will be soon from lack of air, as the temperature is kept at a mandatory bikram-yoga-esque 80 degrees. I felt like a fish out of water, pressed up to the miniscule window just trying to get a breath of fresh air. A window which, once opened, made me think sleeping under the Brooklyn Bridge would've been more peaceful. But the icing on the cake was when I saw something crawling on the floor in our floor's communal bathroom and knelt down to investigate. That's right, I'm not someone to just crush any living thing - I wanted to know if it was something that absolutely needed to go. And lo and behold it was a bedbug! A HUGE ONE. Not a baby roach, not a flea, not something else, but a bedbug.

I thought about reporting this to the front desk, or the health department, but to be honest, after reading some of the other reviews on here - they must already know they have an infestation. And I'd find it hard to believe if the city doesn't already know as well. It's absolutely crazy to me that they haven't been shut down, or sued, and that people are actually paying money to stay here!!!!!! Crazy.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Thanks for writing. I am sorry to hear that your Bunk Cabin was not as spacious as you would have hoped. It is true that these rooms are small, but we do offer Captain's Cabins as an option for those who would like more space. I apologize if you ran into troubles with the temperature in the room. Please don't hesitate to call down if this should happen. If we can find a more comfortable room or adjust your heat we are always happy to do so. As for your encounter with a bed bug... I am very sorry to hear that you felt it was not appropriate to inform our staff that this occurred. We are extremely proactive in preventative and treatment measures should we encounter this problem. It is an epidemic in New York and we do not take it lightly. That being said, I can appreciate your concern and we will certainly treat immediately.

Thanks again for writing.
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Firstly, the hotel has a good location. I love the west village.
The hotel building is very beautiful, and has a helpful concierge personnel. The lounge looks pretty cool also.
I stayed in a cabin. The room was very clean, cozy and very quiet. It had a lcd, ipod dock, free local phone calls and a fan.
The shared bathroom was also very clean.
Of course it hadn't any view and is was very dark, but if you are looking for a clean very cheap and well located place only to sleep, it's just perfect.
I love this hotel, and I will for sure come back.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Thanks so much for writing. We're glad to hear that you enjoyed yourself and hope to see you again soon!

Been to The Jane? Share your experiences!