“Comfortable and convenient” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The International Cozy Inn

You added The International Cozy Inn to your Saves list
The International Cozy Inn
3.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   248 Lenox Avenue, Malcolm X Blvd, New York City, NY 10027 (Harlem)   |
Ranked #34 of 95 New York City B&B and Inns
Italy
“Comfortable and convenient”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

We stayed at the ICI for a week during Christmas and would consider staying there again in a future trip to NYC.

The ICI has small yet fully functional apartments (including kitchen) in a lovely traditional brownstone terraced house in the historic heart of Harlem. The rooms are clean and comfortable and the owners are helpful when needed but otherwise not interfering. You can basically do as if you were living there. There's no restaurant in the ICI so if you want to eat there you will have to buy your own food (the room has a refrigerator and is fully equipped with dishes, mugs, cutlery, coffee machine and so on.

There's no elevator - there's a romantic wooden stairway instead - so if you get a room in the upper floors you will have some extra leg exercise after your long sightseeing day in NYC every day...

The location of the ICI was good for us, as it is located in the center of Harlem, which is a place we planned to visit anyway. It is only a few minutes walk from the underground station which is also conveniently located by a Starbuck's - perfect if you like the pattern "breakfast at Starbuck's and then go", which we did. Also close to the ICI is Sylvia's restaurant which is probably the most famous "soul food" restaurant in NYC (it is so famous that many organized tours stop there for lunch or dinner) and actually very good and nice. Many other famous locations in Harlem (e.g., the Lenox Lounge, the Apollo Theater and others) are within walking distance of even on your way from the hotel to the subway. Also within walking distance are malls are shops where you can buy anything you need.

Harlem has - or has had in the past - a bad reputation, but things have been changing and it is now a quite "trendy" and richer district than it was. We actually never felt discomfortable (much less in danger) while there, even when walking down the streets in the evening. The only problem with being based in Harlem is that taxi drivers from mid- and downtown will frequently refuse to take you home! The way we understood it, it's not much about Harlem in itself: taxi drivers in NYC, in general, tend to be very picky (it actually happened to me that a taxi driver refused to take me to Tiffany on 5th avenue!). In any case, if you're going to be based in Harlem, you *must* be comfortable with the idea of occasionally getting back home by underground or bus. As I said, the neighborhood isn't actually scary, but whether using public transport - and walking a few minutes - at night in a foreign city might be a problem to someone. Another option that I didn't explore is that it should probably be possible to book a taxi ride in advance when you're planning to stay out until late - there are actually Harlem-based taxi companies that you may call.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2011

Stayed here on my 21st birthday trip with my partner in Suite 101M and it was fabulous!
Loved the location, do not be apprehensive of Harlem, it's wonderful to be away from the hustle and bustle and to see a different side of the city. Perfect at the end of busy days to come back to a quiet and relaxing place.
Literally two minutes from the subway, 15 mins max. to get to Times Square and make your way around from there, perfect!
Room was fantastic, extremely clean and spacious, everything you could want.
Lovely and helpful ladies who run the hotel. Loved that it was so personal and homely, not some high rise hotel where you're just a number.
Would honestly rate this 10/10, made our trip even better!

Room Tip: Highly recommend Suite 101 M.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2011

With a friend of mine I stayed for one month at the International Cozy Inn for our study. Harlem is great to stay, not dangerous anymore. Fascinating people and great places to eat. Everyone should eat by: Red Rooster, Native and Sylvias Soulfood. Ramona and Michelle are so hard working and sweet! If I'm going back to New York, I will stay in Harlem for sure. In a few minutes you are in downtown Manhatten, and Harlem is very affordable to stay.
Lenox Avenue is a little bit noisy, but I think if you're going to NYC noise is what you're looking for ;)
I would recommend this appartment to everyone who's staying in NYC for a longer time. You feel like home, you can do whatever you want, you can eat whatever you want (in your own kitchen), you can get mail overthere.. It's great!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Canberra
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2011

Hi all,

We stayed at the ICI248 for 2 weeks over xmas 2010 to Jan 2011. It was great! Michelle & Ramona were fantastic....whatever we needed, whenever we needed it....we got it. It's in a great location, very safe, with all the amenities in the area that you need. If you want the New York experience without the New York accommodation price tag.....this is your place!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Prague, Czech Republic
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2011

Everybody knows that the biggest tourist cities have often a big problem with extremely expensive but poor service accomodation. This was not the case even if for the same price elsewhere in the US one gets free internet and breakfast and swimming pool, for Manhattan it was really a good deal. For a reasonable price we got a really clean and quite spacious room. There were fortunately no bedbugs at all, which is usually a problem in NY. The room was equipped with a well furnished kitchen with dishes, a classical and a microwave oven, the bathroom had a shower. The furniture and colors were chosen with a hint of designer chic, just the sheets were a bit slippery, so sometimes our covers fell to the floor during the night. There was a paid wireless internet service available but we did not use it since we were all days out in the city. For people who have some problem walking many stairs up I would recommend to ask for a room on a lower floor, since the facility is an old NY manor and has no elevator.
The place lies just one or two blocks walking distance from the metro station and even in the evening there was nothing to be afraid of, the neighborhood wasn´t dangerous and nobody bothered us (we are two pretty girls in their twenties). In the surroundings you can find some shops, cafés or fastfoods. The reception is open only in specific hours so we had a little problem on the day when we were leaving for the airport. We had to wait until one of the ladies came but fortunately we caught the plane. It´s recommended to arrange with them more precisely on coming and leaving. The reservation is done mainly by e-mail and has to be confirmed by prepaying a daily rate (if I remember well) via paypal, but it went all right.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Collingswood
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2010

We love Ramona, Michelle, and the Cozy Inn. The rooms are clean and comfortable. The building is conveniently located for transportation, food, and entertainment. You can't do better!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2010

Initially I was apprehensive about staying in Harlem, but after alighting from the subway and following the simple and clear instructions the ICI had given me with my booking I found I felt quite safe. I was in room J101, which has its own bathroom, even though it wasn’t exactly connected to my room. I had to walk through the little kitchenette area I shared with the people in the room next to me, but they didn’t share the bathroom – weird arrangement I know, but it worked.

I was a little paranoid about bed bugs, but so is the ICI and they take great measures to keep their place bed bug free. The Inn was really close to subway and the bus stop was at the front door – very handy, with another bus line only one block away. I did actually catch the subway back late (after 11pm) a few nights and felt safe, but a cab may be a better idea.

My only gripe would be that the free internet didn't work for any of the 5 nights I was there. As I was checking in, someone else made a comment that she couldn't get it working either and for whatever reason it wasn't fixed during my stay.

I didn't have any noise at all during my stay, in fact I was almost wary of how quiet it was.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo

Been to The International Cozy Inn? Share your experiences!