“Good hotel, worth the money” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The GEM Hotel Chelsea

You added The GEM Hotel Chelsea to your Saves list
The GEM Hotel Chelsea
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   300 W 22nd St, 22nd Street & 8th Avenue, New York City, NY 10011 (Formerly GEM Hotel - Chelsea, an Ascend Collection hotel ) (Chelsea)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #306 of 464 Hotels in New York City
“Good hotel, worth the money”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

When visiting NYC, you have hundreds of hotels to choose from. You can use any number of criteria with which to decide where you would and would not want to stay. I chose the Gem Chelsea based on its location and its relative value for the cost.

When booking a hotel, I look for a few key things:
- Free wifi
- Hotel bar
- Early check in / late check out (whichever I'd need)
- Location, ease of access

This hotel met all four, although upon arriving early I found that my room was not actually ready. No matter, though, because the hostess at the front desk assured me that I could store my luggage with them and get it back when I officially checked in later that evening. When I did return that evening, I picked up my luggage at the front desk and took it with me to my room. It did occur to me that it would have been awesome for them to have it waiting for me in my room, but no matter, after all I did appreciate them allowing me to store it in the first place.

The room itself surprised me: very small! Any solo travelers should have no issue, neither should couples looking for some time to spend with each other, because with more than one person there would certainly be a lack of personal space. I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing, I think it is just something to keep in mind when booking. The room does have a window, and the black out shades work like a charm. Despite near perfect weather during my trip, I would wake up each morning unsure of the time as they effectively blocked out the sun. The television had okay reception, although most channels did not appear high-definition and the cable package did not offer any pay-per-view. After a long and busy day and staying in a hotel, I rather enjoy renting a movie 'on demand', usually a recent release or one I haven't yet gotten from Netflix. So the television was overall a bummer. The bathroom was surprisingly big for the room, with a privacy door built into the wall and the comfiest towels you have ever seen in a hotel.

Be careful of the bed. As soon as you lay down you will fall asleep. It is very comfy, and the linens only make it more so. I woke up so rested I could not believe it. Usually I have difficulty with my first night of sleep on a trip. At this hotel I fell right asleep and never had difficulty.

The only unusual thing which occurred during my stay happened on day two: my towels weren't replenished. Where as the cleaning person took any towel which appeared used or dirty, he/she did not replace them, so I ended up with an odd assortment of whatever had not been taken. In essence I had one body towel, one hand towel, and one wash cloth; so my hand towel became my foot towel and I would then dry my hands with the body towel. It just seemed like an unusual oversight because cleaning a hotel room properly requires method, and the towels must be part of that.

I'd go back. Chelsea is somewhat off the beaten path, so depending on my location needs I might end up at a different Gem next time.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Thai first
Allentown, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Recently stayed at the GEM for 1 night. Staff was friendly and the location is good. But the hotel lobby, hallways, and rooms are just okay. Small rooms don't bother me--that's normal for NYC. But a bathroom with just a shower (no tub) is difficult to work with--the shower area floor was not pitched at enough of an angle so the water almost ran out of the bathroom and into the living space area. Same with the sink--the water just pooled in the bowl. Should be more updated features for the price of the room.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled solo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

I stayed here on my last trip to New York due to the great location. I would not recommend it. My room was so dated,tired, smelt of stale cigarettes and very noisy. The bathroom is even more dated and dark. I would avoid! Only plus side were the friendly staff!

• Stayed February 2015, traveled on business
Jackson, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Located in one of the heart of Chelsae. Rooms are a tad small, which personally is a non issue for us given that my stay was for business and there was little to no time to just sit around. Otherwise clean and quiet, bed was super comfortable with decent size bathroom and strong shower pressure. Staff went out of their to accommodate.

Room Tip: Ask for room facing the avenue.
Mountain View, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The rooms are small, but very clean and nice. The staff was very friendly and easy to work with. Most rooms seem to face away from the street and I heard less street noise than in most New York hotels. Highly recommended!

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Mexico City, Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I spend 15 days in NYC staying at The Gem for a business trip, location is great and very convenient to move anywhere in the city. Lots of restaurants, coffee shops, bars, cool gay area!

I won't come back to this hotel only because rooms are extremely small, not even enoigh space for your clothes, once you open the door to get inside, you just need ONE STEP to touch your bed! ONE STEP to get to the bathroom and ONE STEP to get to your tinny mini closet!!

Only recommendable if your stay is no longer than 2 or 3 days!

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Tampa, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Nicest hotel staff you could encounter. While the rooms are very small, the place is comfortable and quiet. Good toiletries, robes, wifi, fluffy towels. Nice coffee bar in lobby. Good location for a Chelsea visit. The rooftop terrace offered an escape from the hustle bustle of the street and a bit of sunshine at the end of a busy day.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple

Been to The GEM Hotel Chelsea? Share your experiences!