“All about the location right?” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The GEM Hotel Chelsea

You added The GEM Hotel Chelsea to your Saves list
The GEM Hotel Chelsea
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   300 W 22nd St, 22nd Street & 8th Avenue, New York City, NY 10011 (Formerly GEM Hotel - Chelsea, an Ascend Collection hotel ) (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #289 of 459 Hotels in New York City
Brisbane, Australia
“All about the location right?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

I selected the GEM Hotel Chelsea as it was in a great location and the price was great. The hotel lobby and roof top terrace is great. We were in a studio double and it was very small & noisy. It was adequate for the two of us however there wasn't much space and we were constantly climbing over our suitcases. The bed was very comfortable, however street noise was fairly loud.

Great area to be in, close to subway, highline and all the great restaurants!! If you can spend an additional $100 - $200 night you might want to get a larger room.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
GEMChelseaFOM, Manager at The GEM Hotel Chelsea, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Good Day Jasmineo84, thank you for sharing your review about your stay with us. We are thrilled that you enjoyed our delightful hotel and lovely location. I am pleased you reserved your stay at a special rate and that our charming rooftop terrace amazed you. I apologize that you were disturbed by the noise levels from the outside and understand that your comfort and relaxation should have been exceeded. I would like to let you know that we do offer larger business class rooms that are more spacious and would certainly make sure that you will have this type of room for your next return. We are glad some of our local restaurants were to your liking and that you found us easily accessible by subway. It would be a privilege to be of service to you once again and provide a memorable experience that you deserve.

212.675.1912 f

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Thai first
Oyster Bay, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

The Gem Hotel in Chelsea is an excellent Hotel. The staff was very polite and extremely helpful. My checkin was so fast, i was in my room within 5 minutes. Kudos to all the employees that helped me at the front desk,very professional, and much appreciated.My room was clean, and well maintained. My bed was very comfortable, I slept like a rock!!!! The location is also great, anything that you think that you may need is in the area, food, pharmacy, clothing, gym , you name it , it's there. I am looking forward to my next visit.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Greetings DerwinNY, thank you so much for choosing The GEM Hotel Chelsea during your time in New York. We are so privileged to have the opportunity to be of service to you and create a memorable stay. I am pleased to hear you had a flawless check-in experience and that your guest room accommodations were to your satisfaction. It is our commitment to provide the finest amenities and services so your stay is always enjoyable and one of a kind. I am very pleased to know that our friendly front desk team made you feel special and unique. We are glad that you liked our location and found many shops near the hotel. We too are looking forward for your next return and are excited to indulge once again.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013 via mobile

The Gem Hotel Chelsea is not only an excellent hotel, located in an amazing spot in the city, but their staff is polite, understanding of all the possible inconveniences that a trip can present, gracious and incredibly helpful. The front desk personnel is attentive to every possible detail, Debra, Yula and Jenny are outstanding people. The rooms are very clean (thou not as big as they look in the pics), the details that make your stay much more comfortable are all there, from complimentary wifi, water and amazing lavender drops to help you rest at night. I'm definitely coming back.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
GEMChelseaFOM, Manager at The GEM Hotel Chelsea, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Greetings Sara H, thank you for writing such a stellar review about your stay with us. We are so excited that enjoyed our delightful hotel and charming location. It is our passion to exceed your every expectation and we are inspired that you felt the warmth of our unique hospitality. We love making you feel indulged and at comfort in our modern guest rooms with superior amenities. It is so rewarding that the personalized service of our front desk team was the highlight of your stay and Debra, Yula, and Jenny will be thrilled that you remembered them. We look forward to welcome you back and create many more wonderful memories.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013 via mobile

If you ever get the opportunity to book the Penthouse room @ The GEM, I would highly suggest it! What the room lacks in size, it's quickly made up by the large outdoor patio. It's very private - a great place to relax and take in the view of the city. Even though the room was small, it was efficient, very functional, clean with hip decor. Also, the bathroom was a modest size that could accommodate 2 people. The icing on the cake was the genuinely warm and professional staff@ The GEM, they made stay very enjoyable! I look forward to my next visit.

• Stayed September 2013
GEMChelseaFOM, Manager at The GEM Hotel Chelsea, responded to this review, October 12, 2013
Greetings Roly1939, thank you so much for sharing your lovely review and for giving us the opportunity to make your stay a one of a kind experience. We are thrilled that you enjoyed the charming Penthouse Suite and hope that the views of the city amazed you. It is our great pleasure and commitment to provide accommodations and amenities that truly make your stay special and unique. I am so honored to hear such wonderful words about our team and will most certainly share your wonderful compliments with them. We are motivated that you felt the passion of our hospitality and always promise to create the most memorable experience. We too look forward to your next visit with us and once again to exceed your expectations.

Baltimore, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

This hotel was in the perfect location for where I needed to be in NYC for work. 2 blocks to work, 5 blocks to the conference. But the room was ridiculously small for the price, and pretty dirty. Hair on the towels and mold in the shower and weird things on the wallpapered walls. It was also very small, there is no way 2 people could ever fit in a room. And like most NYC hotels, it was very expensive for what you got. I wouldn't stay here again.

Room Tip: My room, 216, faced the interior and was dark.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
GEMChelseaFOM, Manager at The GEM Hotel Chelsea, responded to this review, September 29, 2013
Dear jlp306, we dearly thank you for sharing your review and for the privilege to serve you. We are thrilled that you enjoyed our location and that we were close to your events. I regret to hear that your room accommodations were not to your satisfaction and am sadden that your room was not properly prepared. It is our passion to attend to your every need because making you feel special and indulged is our everyday commitment. Please, accept my dearest apologizes for the uncomfortable moments you have felt, instead of spending time enjoying your stay. Allow to me assure you that is not a normal procedure and I have shared your feedback with our housekeeping managers that too promise superior cleanliness each and every time. I would like to discuss this matter with you personnally and do everything that I can to make it right. We would be honored to have you as our guest once again and create a unique GEM experience that you deserve and except. I remain at your complete disposal and will personally make sure your next visit with us is truly one of a kind.

pittsburgh
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

Location is great. There is a Thai restaurant that is pretty good across the street. The front desk was nice. Rooms where normal size for NYC. The only complaint I really have is the maid never gave me new drinking glasses and never took the two glasses I used. I checked in on Sunday and used a glass Sunday and Monday and both stayed in the room until Weds. It was odd to me since the glasses where obviously used.

Would I stay again? Maybe. This hotel was recommended by my company, but I think for the price I could find a location closer to my office.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
GEMChelseaFOM, Manager at The GEM Hotel Chelsea, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Greetings Phpgh20, we sincerely thank you for sharing your review and for allowing us the opportunity to be of service. It is so nice to hear that you enjoyed our charming location and the exquisite Thai restaurant across the street. We are glad that you felt at comfort in your guest room and I regret to hear that our housekeeping team did not replace your drinking glasses. I am dearly grateful that you have shared your comments and feedback about your experience and let me assure you that immediate measures have been taken with our housekeeping managers to avoid such future discontents. Your kind words about our front desk team will forever be treasured and we hope that you can give us the privilege to be our guest once again as we promise to exceed your expectations and create the most memorable stay.

Watertown, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

Stayed overnight for a formal wedding at the Chelsea Pier Lighthouse. Was expecting the usual New York hotel a small room, dated decor and rude staff none of which happened. Although the room was small the bed was comfy, the room super clean and the decor very up to date. All staff were very nice and ready to help in any way they could. Would have no problem staying again or telling friends to give it a go. The cost as New York hotels go was not too bad either.

Room Tip: Pillows are small and super soft
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Greetings Ed R, thank you for taking your valuable time to share your lovely review and we hope that you had a wonderful wedding event. It is so touching to know your stay with us was memorable and that you enjoyed your guest room accommodations. I am so glad that our superior cleaning standards were to your satisfaction and I will share your kind comments with our housekeeping team. We are thrilled that you felt the warmth of our unique hospitality and are truly grateful that you would recommend us to others. It is our commitment to exceed your expectations each and every stay and hope to welcome you back soon again to our special GEM!

212.675.1912 f

Been to The GEM Hotel Chelsea? Share your experiences!