“Simply average” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The GEM Hotel Chelsea

You added The GEM Hotel Chelsea to your Saves list
The GEM Hotel Chelsea
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   300 W 22nd St, 22nd Street & 8th Avenue, New York City, NY 10011 (Formerly GEM Hotel - Chelsea, an Ascend Collection hotel ) (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #289 of 459 Hotels in New York City
Salzburg, Austria
“Simply average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Most important, the rooms are clean and the employees are very friendly and helpful. The rooms are a bit small, but just fine for us. The biggest issue was that the air in our room suffered from high humidity and our sweaty clothes did not really became dry over a night. More or less everything felt wet and cold. Also the air condition was quite loud at night. A neat detail is the nice roof top with nice chairs and tables, with a view to the Empire State Building, altogether creating a beautiful atmosphere.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
GEMChelseaFOM, Manager at The GEM Hotel Chelsea, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Good Day Stefan H, thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. We are committed to provide superior cleanliness and service so your stay is most comfortable and unique. I am very concerned that you were not able to fully enjoy your guest room accommodations and I would like to have our maintenance engineer inspect the ac unit and repair any deficiencies. Your comments and feedback are very valuable to us and I would be grateful if you would e-mail me your dates of stay and room number to chelsea.fom@thegemhotel.com, so we can avoid such future discontents. It is so rewarding to know your wonderful compliments about our friendly staff and they will be motivated that you remembered them. I am glad that you visited our charming rooftop terrace and hope that the views of the city amazed you. We would be honored to welcome you back and provide you with the memorable experience that you deserve and except.

212.675.1912 f

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Thai first
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

I stayed at the GEM Hotel Chelsea in June 2013 and it is a GREAT choice BUT only if you like hotels that are clean, friendly, courteous and in a great location!

The staff couldn't have treated us better. The location is ideal with restaurants, coffee shops and access to taxis and public transportation. Being right off 8th Street allows easy access to Mid-Town, Broadway shows or sightseeing in lower Manhattan.

I would recommend GEM Hotel Chelsea to family, co-workers and friends.

Charles & Pearl from Denver, CO

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Greetings Charles R, thank you for sharing such a wonderful review about your stay. We are so privileged to be of service to you and are thrilled that you felt the warmth of our hospitality. It is our passion to create the most memorable and indulging stay because we are devoted to make you feel special and unique. I am glad that you enjoyed our location and found us easily accessible to other parts of our great city! We are grateful that you would recommend us to others and hope to have the opportunity to wow you again very soon.

Ballston Spa, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

We landed at 1 AM in JFK and decided to crash overnight in the city before heading out in the morning. It is just a couple blocks from Penn Station, so it fit the bill perfectly. The room was very clean and up to date. It was small, but would only be too small if you were planning to spend any significant time there (in NYC, I always spend my time out and about). The bathroom was also small, but again, not problematic. All staff we encountered were very pleasant and helpful. I would stay there again in a heartbeat.

The air conditioner was a little noisy, but was needed on this sweltering night. It didn't bother us in the least, although I must admit that we were very exhausted after our travels to get there.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
GEMChelseaFOM, Manager at The GEM Hotel Chelsea, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Greetings Graig M, thank you for choosing our hotel in such a late hour of the evening and we are grateful for your valuable time taken to share your review with us. We hope that your flight to JFK was pleasant and restful. It is our commitment to provide guest rooms with superior cleanliness and amenities because we want to ensure that you are comfortable and relaxed each and every visit. It is so nice to hear your wonderful compliments about our staff and that you felt the warmth of our hospitality. We are devoted to exceed your expectations and motivated to make your stay fulfilling. I am very concerned that the air unit was noisy and if it is fine with you to e-mail me your room number and dates of stay, I will have our maintenance engineer inspect the ac unit and address any deficiencies. We would be privileged to have you as our dear guest again and create an even more memorable experience.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

This hotel just works. It is nice, functional, a little small for room size, but not claustrophobic small.

The best part is that it is next door to Foragers - a great organic market and restaurant where you could eat all three meals and be perfectly happy - more than happy.

It is close to subways and I will definitely come back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Greetings CharlotteMeyer, thank you for sharing your review and for giving us the opportunity to be of service. We are thrilled that your liked your overall stay with us and that your guest room accommodations were to your satisfaction. I will most certainly share your kind words with the team at Foragers and they will be so excited that you enjoyed their market and restaurant. We hope to welcome you back on many more wonderful occasions.

Birmingham, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

The GEM Hotel Chelsea was the perfect spot. I was in walking distance of fabulous food, markets, coffee and entertainment. The room was clean, neat and comfortable. The rooms are small, but I am only in the room for sleep when I visit the city, so the size is of no matter to me. The staff were exceptionally kind and helpful as well. Would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: My room overlooked a tree lined street and was lovely.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Greetings Jorjabea, thank you sharing your short and sweet review. We are glad that you enjoyed our charming location and found the wonderful dining and entertainment choices to your satisfaction. It is our passion to prepare each guest room with care and dedication so your stay is truly one of a kind experience. It is so rewarding that you felt the warmth of our hospitality and your kind words about our devoted staff are really inspiring. I am pleased that you were comfortable staying with us and we all hope to welcome you back for another exceptional stay.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

Overall a nice and clean hotel in a great location - middle of chelsea and in very close proximity to restaurants, meatpacking bars and clubs and main subway stations. Hotel also has a small Gym in the bottom. Be prepared for a small room though - the room is pretty much a bed. In the first night they put me in a room facing the main road and there was a lot of noise. I asked to move and they moved me to a back facing room which was very quiet. One more problem I had is that the hotel kept on authorising my credit card for incidentals on a daily basis without telling me. This caused my CC company to cancel my CC twice! admittedly this wasn't only the hotel's fault, but they could have been clear about the charges they are putting on the card.

Room Tip: Ask for a back room if you don't want the main road noise.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Greetings Groni76, we dearly thank you for sharing your review and for the privilege to serve you. We are thrilled that you enjoyed our location and that we were near your areas of activities. We are so excited that you liked our new fitness center which was recently renovated. I am pleased that our staff was able to accommodate your request and it is our passion to attend to your every need because making you feel special and indulged is our everyday goal. I do apologize that your credit card was authorized several times and please let me assure you that is not a normal procedure. I would like to be discuss this matter with you and do everything that I can to make sure that an extra of your funds are returned to you immediately. My e-mail address is chelsea.fom@thegemhotel.com and I am always at your complete disposal. We hope that you can be our guest again and allow us to make your stay with us truly memorable and unique with our first class hospitality.

Zaragoza, Spain
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

We chose this hotel on the basis of its location and the reviews from other Trip Advisor contributors. We knew, therefore, that the rooms were small, but we weren't prepared to have to trip over our two suitcases to get to the tiny wardrobe. There was no place to sit except for the bed which was very uncomfortable. We did not sleep well any of the three nights we spent there. The bathroom was clean and the walk-in shower was the best part of the room. On the positive side, the staff was friendly and cheerful, always greeting us with a smile as we left to explore the area and upon our return. Wi fi was free and we were logged on automatically. Although the hotel does not have a restaurant, the staff recommended The Dish for breakfast which was close by and very good. We were surprised upon receiving the final bill to see that there was a two dollar a day charge for the in-room safe - something we weren't expecting and haven't encountered in other hotels of this type. Unfortunately the free bottles of water and coffee maker in the room did not compensate for the lumpy, saggy bed. I would not choose this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Pelbro, thank you for taking your valuable time to write your review about your stay with us. We are so grateful that you chose to stay with us from so many others and that you liked the reviews shared from our Trip Advisor guests. I regret that the size of your guest room was not your satisfaction and if you allow me to recommend reserving our larger business class rooms that provide more space to relax and overall comfort. I am glad that our superior cleaning standards were to your satisfaction. It is so rewarding to know your kind words about our team and that you have felt the attentiveness of our friendly staff. The Dish is one of our favorite local restaurants and we are thrilled that you enjoyed their delicious cuisines. I understand your frustration about our safe fee, but I hope I can explain that we only charge for the safe fee because it is mandatory by the manufacture of the safety deposit vaults and I can remove the safe warrantee fee on your bill if you do not mind e-mailing your full name and dates of stay to chelsea.fom@thegemhotel.com and I will gladly remove it. We certainly do not wish to lose you as our valued guest and I personally hope to welcome you back to show you the improvements we made due to your dear feedback. I remain at your complete disposal if you have any more comments or suggestions.

212.675.1912 f

Been to The GEM Hotel Chelsea? Share your experiences!