“Important cultural institution” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Studio Museum of Harlem

Studio Museum of Harlem
144 West 125th Street, New York City, NY 10027 (Harlem)
212-864-4500
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #352 of 1,635 things to do in New York City
More attraction details
Owner description: Museum that focuses on historical and contemporary works of African-American artists.
El Cerrito, California
11 attraction reviews
“Important cultural institution”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

The Studio Museum of Harlem was great. They had an exhibit of contemporary artists, and photographs by the great Gordon Parks, on a series he did of a Harlem Family in 1967. Not every piece of the contemporary artist was immediately accessible, but the photographs by Gordon Parks were incredibly moving and gave a face to the challenges associated with being poor in the US, then and now. The exhibit on Postcards from Harlem captured past and present photographs of history of individuals, institutions and public art in Harlem. We were rushed, but if we had had more time I would have loved to spend it in their great gift shop, filled with books of prior exhibits and art. We got lucky, because they have free admission on Sundays, thanks to Target, though we happily would pay to return.

Visited December 2012

Seattle WA
26 attraction reviews
“Wonderful small museum”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for this museum in Harlem. My husband and I came in from a rainstorm, looking like drowned rats, and we were greeted with such warmth and concern. They hung up our wet coats and told us they would be dry by the time we left. The exhibit was a temporary show about the revolution in Haiti in the late 18th century, very interesting and not something we knew much about. Upstairs there were paintings by contemporary artists, depicting contemporary life in the black community, very sensitive. On our way downstairs, I mentioned that Jacob Lawrence had lived in Seattle and taught at our university. and the museum people and I spent a minute or two appreciating Jacob Lawrence. I think this museum is important, very much worth the trip to Harlem.

Visited October 2012
7 attraction reviews
“Museum in the Heart of Harlem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

A great place to immerse yourself into the arts. The time just flew by quickly as I socked in the history before my eyes. Situated in the heart of harlem love the space !

Visited August 2012
Cheverly, Maryland
“Worth the Trip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012 via mobile

This museum is off the beaten path but definitely worth the detour. I really enjoyed the installation. The entrance fee was very reasonable compared to other NYC museums. They are commited to mentoring the next generation of NYC arists which is commendable. I highly recommend a visit to the Studio Museum while in Harlem.

Atlanta
12 attraction reviews
“Worth checking out”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

I've been visiting the Studio Museum of Harlem for 20 years. It's one great place to spend a few hours steeped in history and art immersion. I always take the time to learn what exhibit is on display there before any trip to NYC. The Romare Bearden retrospective was outstanding! So have been many others. Depending on the exhibit making a visit to the Studio Museum can make a day in NYC even more memorable.

Visited June 2012