“Stay Here if You Love LOUD Construction Noise & Unfriendly Hotel Staff & Dark Decor” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Ink48 - a Kimpton Hotel

You added Ink48 - a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Ink48 - a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   653 11th Avenue at 48th, New York City, NY 10036 (Midtown)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Book Early And Save
Ranked #50 of 463 Hotels in New York City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersGold level
Denver
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW via mobile

Upon arrival, I found out I booked a hotel in the middle of 2 sets of construction. Can you read my lips - starts @ 7am LOUD!!!!!! I had 2 hotel rooms for our group - a Jr Suite on the top floor of the hotel with Hudson River & Southern views that faced a huge construction project that will last until 2017 AND a 2-double bed room on the 2nd floor facing 11th Ave, which you could not see for all the scaffolding on the hotel until August 2015. I would describe the interior design of the common spaces of this hotel as "someone hired a bad decorator who was hung up on using dark chocolate brown colors". The hallway walls and halls were very dark. The lobby was very dark except for the lit yellow glass behind the front counter, which did not match anything else in the lobby. The lobby area had a dark sitting area you were allowed to use. The vivid red eyesore of a seating area in the lobby was off limits as was indicated by ropes blocking it off and a sign that said you could only use it if you got permission from the dining area (guess you had to buy food/drink to use). The hotel rooms were bright and roomy - boy were we surprised. One wall of the bathroom was made of glass making it very bright. Unfortunately, it was not soundproof and all the toilet noises could be heard in the room - big ICK!! Most of the staff in this hotel could use some training. The doorman rarely opens the front door for you & has no uniform. I thought he was a street person wanting handouts. Not a lovely 1st impression. The hotel is only 1 avenue & 5 blocks from Piers 92 & 94 if you are going there - big advantage. Upon checkout, the desk staff will only give you a receipt if you ask for it. I had to ask twice for mine - as I said, more training needed. Will we stay here again? - NEVER!!!!

Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
Joseph M, Front Office Manager at Ink48 - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Hi WhippetsRule,

We are deeply apologetic for the inconvenience you have experienced here, we assure you that isn’t the norm. Please allow us to further rectify the situation and welcome you back to a better stay. Please feel free to contact us at 212-757-0088.

We look forward to hearing from you,

Team Ink48

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (675)
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

I travel often and have high yet attainable expectations and Ink 48 delivered in all areas. It had everything we needed, great staff, comfy bed, great view of the Hudson & Intrepid, excellent food & martinis in a great lounge/restaurant atmosphere downstairs. You will also find a lovely rooftop bar with all of the quintessential NYC happy hour trimmings that serves as a refreshingly classy late night spot as well.

Price was very good, use your AAA for an even better rate.

Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Hi UrbanCityGirl,

We are glad to have met your “high yet attainable” expectations!

Quintessential is definitely the right word when describing the Press Lounge, we do hope to welcome you back again!

Wales
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Myself & husband stayed here for 4 nights January 2015. Hotel is lovely, Staff very nice, friendly & helpful. We stayed in a City View King and wow the view was amazing. Didnt eat in the restaurant so cannot comment. Our room was lovely and clean throughout our stay. Housekeeping were very nice.
Shame the rooftop bar (Press Lounge) didnt have the same friendly staff. Although Im sure this is run by a different company. If you order a Coke and a smile, dont hold your breath for the smile although it will be on your bill! I expect it to be expensive but also expect a little personality. Im sorry but the Bartender had the personality of a Teaspoon. We will be booking for our next trip in January and cant wait. Wont bother with press lounge again though.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
Hi Wilson2009,

I must agree with you, the view of the City View Studio King is quite amazing! We do hope to welcome you back next year!

Edgewater, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

Wanting to stay in a different area of the city and generally fans of Kimpton hotels, we opted to book Ink48 and in general were very happy with our stay -for the 2 main reasons I chose it - the rooftop lounge and the location. To sum it up here are positives/negatives:

Positive-
Friendly, welcoming staff (all staff in the hotel were top notch, Antonio up in Press Lounge was a delight to talk to and the Press restaurant staff were also wonderful)
Nice, comfortable lobby space with ample seating and stylish décor
The restaurant, Print was AWESOME
The rooftop bar, Press Lounge was equally awesome - delicious cocktails with a stunning view
Valet service coming and going was very efficient/friendly
The room (City view studio king) was stylish and updated compared to many comparable hotels in the city. It was large and comfortable.
The complementary bike access was wonderful - we definitely enjoyed biking along the extensive pathways

The negatives -
We were on the 7th floor (room 703)- the city view that we paid extra for was nice, but definitely would have been better higher up. In addition, the windows are filthy and that definitely detracted from the view. I realize that's a challenge in the city, but I've never seen windows that filthy anywhere.

While the hotel itself was quiet, the noise was loud all night long from the street below and disrupted our sleep. Again, it would have been better higher up.
On that note, and despite the previous reviews, I didn't ask for a higher floor upon check in since I was immediately told that while I am a Kimpton "member" - because I didn't book the room directly through them (I booked through Expedia), I didn't receive the additional benefits or credit for booking this stay. That will definitely make me reconsider booking at a Kimpton in the future.
While there seemed to be several doormen/valets, what have you...no one ever opened the door coming or going for us. Personally I think that stinks.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Hi Isnyder

We are very glad you were able to utilize our bike program, biking along 12th Ave is certainly scenic to say the least! The Press Lounge definitely offers the most stunning view of the city! I do agree that Print provides a superb culinary dining experience, I, myself is a huge fan!

We hope to welcome you back to Ink48 Hotel, this time, on a much higher floor so you can have a more enjoyable stay!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Helpful staff with a open-minded attitude, interested in supplying tips on where to eat and what to do (both at the front desk and the restaurant, which bolstered great food too). The free wifi was excellent and room quality superb. I'll definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
Hi Roderick N,

Thank you for your candid feedback, it’s feedbacks like yours that keeps us doing what we do best.

We do hope to see you again the next time you return to NYC!

South Bend, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

What a fantastic hotel in a less frenzied part of Hell's Kitchen in Nyc. At check in, I was greeted with the same friendly service that I've come to expect from Kimpton hotels. Kat and Didier may have been some of the friendliest front desk employees to date! I was upgraded to a suite with easily the best view I've ever been treated to in Nyc (and I say this having just come from the Conrad, which also has nice views of the river). I spent the evening watching the sun set over the river and then, after a first rate dinner at Print downstairs, got into the super comfortable bed for a good nights rest. Thanks, Ink48, for an exceptional visit. I'll be back!

Stayed April 2015, traveled on business
Hi ProfPayne,

Thank you for your awesome review!

We truly appreciate your feedback and comments so we can better our service for the future! It’s reviews like your that keeps us going and striving for the best! We love spoiling our guests, and we hope you do come back for more, shhh we won’t tell Conrad!

Philadelphia, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I am completely spoiled by my experiences stayed at Kimpton hotels and absolutely loved this stay. It's a gorgeous hotel with wonderfully helpful and friendly staff. The room is a great size, beds are comfy, and all the appointments top notch. The lobby, restaurant, lounge areas and bar are funky and have a great feel. Beautiful view from the rooftop bar. I definitely recommend this hotel and look forward to staying again.

Stayed March 2015, traveled on business
Joseph M, Manager at Ink48 - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Hi PhilaTraveler22,

Spoiling is what we do best, our staff really works hard to provide the best customer service possible, we sincerely appreciate your recognition!

We do hope to see your return soon!

Team Ink48

Been to Ink48 - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!