“Best of the NYC Kimptons” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ink48 - a Kimpton Hotel

You added Ink48 - a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Ink48 - a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   653 11th Avenue at 48th, New York City, NY 10036 (Hell's Kitchen)   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
Book Early And Save
Ranked #58 of 459 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersGold level
San Francisco
“Best of the NYC Kimptons”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

I just finished a business trip to New York and stayed one night in each of the four Kimpton hotels located in Manhattan, this one was the nicest in my opinion. The location is a bit out of the way depending on where you want to go (the other locations are very close to Times Square, Penn Station and Grand Central), but I found the staff and the hotel to be the best. Don't get me wrong, I actually had good experiences at the other three properties, but this last night was my favorite. Upon arrival I was told that I was upgraded to a Hudson River Suite (I'm Karma Inner Circle so I get free upgrades, when available) and I was blown away with the size of the room, especially the bathroom, and the huge windows looking out onto the Hudson River.

Room Tip: I got upgraded to a Hudson River suite...highly recommended for the large size and beautiful view of...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Olimpia M, Manager at Ink48 - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, August 17, 2014
Hey Michael H,

Thanks so much for the kind words! We really appreicate when guests have a great stay and then decide to share their experience. I'm most thrilled to hear about our awesome staff. We take pride in creating a great work environment and this in turn is reflected in the wonderful service they provide.

Thanks again! Hope to see you here again sometime soon.

Best,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (614)
HOVE
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

'' Impressive '' is my overall description, but my first impression of this hotel was quite the opposite. We were shown into the hotel by a severe looking doorman who didn't even have the courtesy to speak to us. Once in reception however, it was a different story. Professional and welcoming and very helpful. One of the staff even remembered which trip we had been on the previous day and asked if we had enjoyed it.

Wanting a change from something more ' corporate ', Ink 48 certainly delivers. We chose a City View room which was located on the 9th floor. The views from the large window were special, particularly at night. An unusual feature of the room was that the bath and the his n' hers basins were both actually in the room...the wc and shower room being separate. This gave the advantage of being able to enjoy your city view from the luxury of the bath !

There is a rooftop bar ( not operated by the hotel ) offering great city and river views. I thought the early evening crowd were somewhat pretentious, but when re-visiting a couple of hours later things seem noticeably more relaxed.

A word about the area....I had not stayed in this part of NYC before, and I was a little dubious about the hotel's location. It is a good 15 minute walk to the nearest subway ( 8th and 50th ), but cabs are plentiful and there are clear signs that the area is on the ' up '.

The acid test of course is asking yourself would you stay there again....and our answer was a definite '' yes ''

Room Tip: City view, the higher the better
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Hey HOVEEAGLE,

So glad we were able to reverse that first impression you had. Sounds like you really got to enjoy so much of what the hotel has to offer and I'm thrilled that you recognize our awesome staff.

La Quinta, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

My husband's first visit to NYC! Nothing but good to say! Staff, dining, views were amazing! Had one incident which was immediately resolved by the manager, Chris, of the hotel. His demeanor and professionalism bespoke of the overall experience in this most unique boutique hotel. The roof top view was an experience I loved reflected on my husband's face. The bed was the most comfortable we have ever slept on! Seriously! We will definitely come back to his "place of rest".

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing uptown
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Hey Charlene W,

Thanks so much for your kind words about the hotel! Sounds like you really got to experience so much of what we have to offer, and I'm thrilled you recognize are awesome staff (in particular Chris, who is simply great at what he does).

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

Stayed at Ink48 looking for a NY boutique hotel experience for a weekend away with my wife and another couple.

The hotel itself was interesting. Funky lobby and spacious hotel room. Hotel staff were very engaging and helpful (with the exception of a bit of a goofball guarding the elevator to the rooftop bar. Should have got his name -- a bit snarky for no apparent reason).

The location was not ideal. Required cab rides to anywhere of note from SoHo to Midtown to Upper East side. Nothing really interesting within walking distance.

Views from hotel room were expansive but the area still felt underdeveloped and a bit industrial.

Overall decent if you're looking for a nice place to chill inside.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Hey MMX_Travelogue,

Thank you so much for your kind words about the hotel. We also always appreciate a shout-out to our awesome staff.

Apologies that the location wasn't ideal, but I can tell you first hand that Hell's Kitchen is a pretty happening area these days. 9th Ave is now called "restaurant row" with a TON of great options to eat and some fun bars as well. The Highline is a 10 minute walk away as well, and of course we have the river behind us. I'd have to agree that 11th Ave isn't the best but new stuff is even popping up on 11th as well (like the world-renowned Gotham West Market, and the famous Landmark Tavern).

It's definitely all relatively new in terms of a cool area to be in so if you're in town again, feel free to inquire about things to do and one of the concierges can give you great advice on where to go nearby.

Thank you again for the kind words about the hotel though! We rely on feedback from people like you, so it's much appreciated.

Hope to see you here again sometime soon.

Will
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2014

My husband and I came here for part of our honeymoon for 5 nights. On the first night our room wasn't brilliant as we were quite low down and didn't really have much of a view; but we asked for an upgrade and the front desk were more than helpful and put us in a great room with a fantastic view for the next 4 nights.

The rooms were nice and clean; the only thing we could fault in the room is the fact that the towels weren't changed the whole time, even though we left them on the floor and a couple of times they left us with no shower mat.

The wifi was also pretty expensive compared to other city hotels in the USA we've stayed in previously; where it has been free or not so pricey.

We thought the location of the hotel was great. It was a bit noisy, but that's kind of what we expected in New York.

The hotel is really nice inside and we thought all the staff behind the desk were very helpful and friendly.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Hey carlotahughes!

Thanks so much for the kind words about the hotel! We especially love hearing about our awesome staff.

Regarding the issue with your towels, if that ever happens again, just feel free to call down to the desk and we'll be sure to send you up some fresh towels.

Also, I would have to agree that the wifi is a little pricey, but if you sign up for Kimpton Karma (our loyalty program), it's totally free and you will get free wi-fi at whichever Kimpton you chose. Just takes a minute to join and we are pretty generous with our points system.

Thank you again for all the kind words. Means a lot and hope to see you here again sometime soon.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

I took my sister and my mom for their first ever NYC experience and a big birthday celebration. What an awesome hotel and great place to celebrate with a cocktail on the roof! The staff really made it - very friendly and helpful. The room was huge for 3 girls. And the pull-out sofa was seriously not like a pull-out sofa.

Room Tip: Corner rooms always have a bit more space.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Hey Jo M,

Thanks so much for the kind words! What makes me most happy is hearing about our awesome staff. They really take the place to the next level and we appreciate guests who recognize that and share their great experience.

Albany, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

Ink 48 is the perfect place to stay if you are looking for a comfortable,safe and relaxed place to stay. Will, Justin, Stephen are professional and treated me like a queen.
I work long hours going to buying fashion shows and always look forward to coming this hotel it is the closest feeling to home that I experienced.
At the end of day you are greeted by a glass of wine and in the morning there are newspapers and coffee ready.
For all that have to spend long days at the Javits this is the only place worth staying at, and I have tried many before finding Ink 48.
Sandra

Room Tip: This Hotel is for anyone going to the Javits or work on far West Side, but I have had meetng on East...
Green Features: yes, restaurant is organic and taste fantastic. It is great to have a on site place to relax at the end of day.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Hey sedollard,

Thanks so much for taking the time to write such a lovely review. What makes me most happy is hearing about our awesome staff. They truly make Ink48 what it is, and to hear that it is like home-away-from-home for you is just awesome.

Hopefully see you here sometime soon!

Best,

Been to Ink48 - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!