“First Impression” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ink48 - a Kimpton Hotel

Save Saved
You added Ink48 - a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Ink48 - a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   653 11th Avenue at 48th, New York City, NY 10036 (Hell's Kitchen)   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
Love to Drive
Ranked #65 of 451 hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersGold level
Sydney, Australia
“First Impression”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

We researched this hotel via tripadvisor before visiting NYC and booked on line. The hotel absolutely ticks ALL the boxes. Thoroughly recommend a city view room which was roomy and spacious. We were celebrating our wedding anniversary and received complimentary bottle of champagne and the most wonderful box of chocolates. It even snowed while we were there! the complimentary wine bar was lovely after a day of exploring and the rooftop bar views were exceptional (although very much like the view from our room which we were able to enjoy every night)! A 10-15 minute stroll to the heart of the action but a wonderful way to end each evening with a romantic walk. The gym was great- nobody was in there anytime I visited. Would return tomorrow and thoroughly recommend, Oh! and the BEST stand out hairdryer (salon style high powered) experience of a month of hotels around Central America!

Room Tip: City View upgrade is a must.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Olimpia M, Manager at Ink48 - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Hello Michele B,

Thank you for your feedback! We are glad that you enjoyed your wedding anniversary at our hotel. We strive to make sure we provide a memorable experience for all our guests and guests that are celebrating a special occasion such as yours. We can’t wait for you to visit us again!

1,798 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (514)
Brooklyn, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

It was my girl friends 21st birthday and I wanted to book a room for us in manhattan to surprise her. After doing some research, I thought this would be a perfect hotel for us. It had a rooftop lounge upstairs and it looked trendy. I called the hotel reservation to get a room for Saturday, November 18. When I called to make a reservation, the man I was speaking to said the hotel was 350$. I asked him if that is the total cost with taces included and said yes.I gave him my credit card info and it was booked. He said he would email me a confirmation and never did, so I had to call back the hotel to make sure the room was reserved.

I had planned for 10 of my girlfriends friends to come to the press lounge to surprise my girlfriend, so when I would bring her up there, she would be surprised. As we are about to leave our hotel room to go to the lounge, all of her friends are texting me that the bouncer said there is no more bar and it is closed. It was 1:45 am on a Saturday night. I was in shock and could not understand what was happening since I specifically asked then lady at the front desk what time the lounge closes and she said 3 am. We go down stairs and tell our friends to come inside so we can go up there. As we approach the press lounge elevator, the security guard pushes my girlfriend outside and starts yelling at her that the last call was 1:45 and the lounge is closed. We explain it is her 21st birthday and we have friends that came from a different city to come celebrate and surprise her. They did not care at all and told us to leave. We stepped outside the lobby to cool off because we were all in shock and just could not believe that's the security guard yelled at my girlfriends face and pushed her away for coming close to the elevator. We went outside, and as we are standing there, we saw about 20 people coming out in the next hour. We asked all of them if the lounge is still open and they all said of course, it's open until 3 am.

Not only was the surprise for my girl friends birthday that I had planned completely ruined, but I felt terrible in front of all the people I invited to come all the way to manhattan. I have never been treaten with worse service in my entire life. And keep in mind, the main reason i chose this hotel was because of the plans to go to the lounge.

Everyone had to leave, and me and my girlfriend had to go upstairs and spend the night of her 21st birthday in the room, watching her cry because she felt so disrespected by the workers in the hotel. I don't know what their problem was, but it was 100% clear that the lounge was open, and they did not want us there.

I promised her a night she would never forget, meanwhile it turned out to a night we never want to remember.

On top of that, as we were checking out, the front desk lady hands us a bill of 400$. 349$+ tax. Keep in mind I asked the guy twice when I booked the reservation through the hotel if it was including tax, and he said it was. I could not even argue because I had no proof(I never got an email sent to me like I was promised)

Overall, horrible service and staff and a terrible experience.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Antwerp, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Beautiful and trendy hotel located in (not (yet) very trendy) Hell's Kitchen on 11th av and 48th between the car dealers, Fedex and Verizon trucks (keep in mind that you have to walk some 15 to 20 minutes (through not very exciting streets) to go to for example Times Square or Central Park).
We were upgraded to a Hudson Suite on the 12th floor. Very nice, large room with floor to ceiling windows all along, sitting area with flatscreen, comfortable bed room with flat screen, lot's of storage facility, wifi throughout the hotel (register for free as an Ink48 member and wifi is for free). Magnificent views over the Hudson river, New Jersey, the Intrepid, the cruise piers, ... However, the airconditioning made really a lot of noise (not possible to put the fan low; we mentioned it, but either it just is like that or they were not able to fix it during our 5 nights' stay). The aluminium frame of the windows is not isolated (making the temperature in the room drop if you put the airco of (which is necessary for us to be able to sleep)). The same flow of cold air can be felt when seated in the bar or restaurant near a window or door. For the light sleepers, be aware that the hotel is exposed to quite some outside noise, but hey afterall it's NYC ... (bring some ear plugs).
The restaurant is really excellent (see our comment on Print restaurant).
The rooftop bar (Press Room) is also very nice. Cosy, loungy atmosphere, great views.
Breakfast is only à la carte, which makes it a bit more expensive than a typical continental all-in breakfast buffet (+/- 35$ per person, compared to a more standard +/- 25$ buffet formula).
The hotel has a daily happy hour in the lobby area with complimentary wine. There is also water available in the lobby all day and complimentary coffee/tea in the morning, which is just an example of the many small things that this nice hotel does to comfort its guests.
The hotel has two bikes available on a first come, first serve basis. We used them for a day to go to The Cloisters (great trip, beautiful destination at the very north end of Manhattan island). A bike is really the best way to discover NYC (provided that it does not rain). If the bikes of the hotel are taken already, there are plenty of places nearby where you can rent one.
The staff is very friendly and helpful. It is clear that they aim for customer satisfaction.
Overall : the pluses definitely outwheigh the minuses. We will be back !

Room Tip: The higher the better. Hudson view recommended.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Olimpia M, Manager at Ink48 - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
EBA_Antwerp,

Thank you so much for the comprehensive review! A lot of great tips for future guests and feedback for us as a hotel to take away from your stay. We strive to provide a great experience for all hotel guests. Thanks again and we hope to see you again on your next trip to NYC!

Travel Safe!
Williamsburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Cool vibe, nice rooms, great rooftop patio/bar, customer service is great! Close to Times Square and great Hells kitchen dinning. Difficult to catch a cab at times so plan ahead for that. Kimpton does not miss a beat! Great stay overall

Room Tip: Both the city and Hudson views are great and make sure you become a Kimpton Intouch member for extra...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Stoweboard,

Thanks for taking the time to review the hotel! Also thanks for sharing your tip about joining Kimpton InTouch. Its free and the perks are nice!

We hope to see you on your next trip to NYC!

Travel Safe!
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Everything was top notch. The friendly staff, the gorgeous room I was in, the pleasant housekeepers, and the overall appearance of the hotel will keep me coming back. I am a big fan of C.O. Bigelow products that are in the bathroom as well as the awesome shower and amazing soaking tub. The view from the 14th floor was great and I couldn't have been happier. Thank you for an awesome stay!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
ChicagoCody,

Thanks for the great review and for the shout out for the hardest working deaprtment in the hotel, housekeeping! They are the best! I will be sure to share your kind words with the department tomorrow morning!

Thanks again and travel safe!
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I went there on a sunday night with three friends. Jason was the person who set up our reservation on the spot and unbelievably accomodating. He sent wine to our room because we had to much to carry (free wine 5-6) and when I came down sneezing he recognized that and asked if I had a cold I told him I had bad allergies (perhaps from teh down feathers) so he changed our room to an allergen free room. The hotel is gorgeous and everyone that works there is so kind. Well worth every penny!!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
alfur810,

Thanks for taking the time to review our hotel! I will be sure to share your kind words with Jason. He loves the feedback and it keeps him going! He is one of the best concierges we have!

Thanks again and we hope to see you in the future on your next stay in NYC!!

Travel safe!
Eugene, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

We moved here after a bad experience at an upper west side hotel, and were so happy we did! The room was just as pictured on the website, with amazing views of the Manhattan skyline. We could see the lights of Times Square from our room on the 8th floor! No need to be higher up, we loved the view. The staff was more than accommodating and truly contributed to an excellent experience overall. The hotel is beautiful everywhere you look, and one staff member told us they are basically continuously renovating to keep up with the changing times and hotel use. There was some construction on the floor above us during our stay, but it was limited to the hours of 9am-6pm, when we were out exploring the city, and it did not bother us at all. Don't be worried about staying too far off from Midtown - this Hell's Kitchen area is perfect! It's a quick 15 minute walk to your Broadway show or Times Square. We definitely recommend this hotel and we will be back!

Sybersprite,

You rock!!! Thanks for taking the time to write a review on us. We love the feedback and I will be sure to share your kind words with the entire staff. We are always trying to improve our hotel! Those who don't evolve go by the wayside! We cant wait for you to come back and stay with us on your next trip!!

Thansk again and travel safe!

Been to Ink48 - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!