“Good visit, spoiled by payment problems.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Ink48 - a Kimpton Hotel

You added Ink48 - a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Ink48 - a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   653 11th Avenue at 48th, New York City, NY 10036 (Midtown)   |
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Book Early And Save
Ranked #50 of 463 Hotels in New York City
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersGold level
london
“Good visit, spoiled by payment problems.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

Had a great stay, really excellent and spacious room, with a wonderful view of the New York skyline - however my trip was spoilt by a checkout process that lost me hundreds of pounds.

I had reserved two rooms (for me and my Mum) using my Visa card. When I came to check out, both bills had ALREADY been charged to that card. But I wanted to pay for my own room with a different card, and my Mum wanted to pay for her own room. No worries, said the checkout staff, they would refund my Visa card and take payment by other means. Unfortunately the rate at which my bank converted the $ refund back to £s was different to the rate they had applied to payment (after all, banks always charge different rates for purchases and sells). This led to the refund being £280 less than the payment which the hotel had taken. Perhaps I should have thought of this at the time, but surely the hotel staff shouldn’t have suggested doing the refund - after all, doesn’t this happen every time? The problem only arose because the hotel charged my Visa card BEFORE the end of my stay and without my knowledge. I’ve stayed in many hotels all over the world and no other hotel has ever done this. The hotel have not apologised. Be warned.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Olimpia M, Manager at Ink48 - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Hello the0rganist,

Thank you very much for bringing the payment issue to our attention. We are truly sorry for the troubles this has caused. I know that you are currently working with our accounting department to get it sorted it out.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (675)
Hoboken, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel for one night. My boyfriend (now husband) surprised me with this for our wedding night.

We got an amazing room (Hudson River Suite) with a breathtaking view of the city and the Hudson river. Additionally, we received a really nice gesture (Champagne, strawberries and chocolate) from the hotel as they knew it was our wedding night.
We wanted to go out in the city for dinner that night, but decided to stay in the hotel. We ordered room service and the food was excellent.

I highly recommend the hotel not only because of the rooms and the food, but also because the staff was great. From check-in until check-out it was just perfect.

We will definitely come back to enjoy the views from the rooftop bar and we will definitely stay there again for our first anniversary.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Olimpia M, Manager at Ink48 - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Mopsikins,

We are so happy that we were able to be a part of your special night! We really enjoy making special celebrations even more special! Thanks for the review and we hope to see you next year on your first anniversary!!

Cheers!
Anaheim, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

We stayed at a Kimpton Hotel in Boston and loved it! When we decided to head to New York City we thought about staying again at a Kimpton Hotel. We ended up staying at Ink48. The rooms were nice. The sink was in the room as was the bathtub. This made it difficult to get up earlier than my husband and not disturb him when I was getting ready to go to the gym. The room was made up, one day it was done well the next day there were no hand towels and there was someone's thumbnail with nail polish on it on the washcloth where they had put my makeup. It was disgusting. The last day we wanted to check out the rooftop bar. That day they had a photo shoot so the bar was closed. The entire hotel was teeming with people involved in the shoot.The elevators which had previously run quickly were slow and the people working with the commercial were rude and oblivious to the customers. The other draw backs were no close subway stops. We never tried the restaurant which is supposed to be so good and michelin rated. They stopped serving breakfast at 10:45am. Also, they had out complimentary coffee and tea in the morning but that stops at 9am...in New York which is a late night city??? Very disappointed with that.They did bring me a coffee machine for the room, I asked for decaf coffee and tea to go with it and never got that as well. It was hit and miss with the service there.Sorry to say.

mrsbof3,

Thanks for the review. Feedback such as yours is truly invaluable and only allows us to improve and better serve our future guests. I have shared your feedback with the rest of the management team so they may share with their team members.

We hope that you will come back and experience Ink48 the way it should be experienced stress free.

Plainfield, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

I have stayed at the Ink48 multiple times on business and I have two more stays already booked. The Staff is always ready and welling to help with all your needs whether that's a coffee maker in the room or amenities placed in the room or arranging a car to the airport. The rooftop pool is a must to see and the restaurant at the hotel, The Print, is another must as well. When I am in NYC, I know that this place is where I will be staying from now on.

Room Tip: Feel free to contact that Concierge ahead of your visit with request you have that will make your st...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
IndyMedic2006,

Thanks for the review! I remember you from when I was at the Onyx Hotel in Boston! Next time you are in be sure to swing by the desk to say hi! Love to see that you are a loyal Kimpton fan!

Travel safe!
Princeton, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

Spent two nights in this neat boutique hotel on the west side of Manhattan. Location is unusual and a bit out of the way but suited our itinerary which included the Intrepid and Per Se restaurant at Columbus Circle (walking distance). Taxis are easy to get at this location and upon departure, we were very close to the Lincoln Tunnel so and easy to get to Newark airport and other NJ destinations. We upgraded to a larger room for a minimal amount and were very pleased with the room and accomodations. Hotel staff was friendly and accomodating. The concierge sent up flowers and a personalized cake for a birthday celebration at no additional charge. Minor downsides: vanity area in/near bathroom really needs better/brighter lighting. Also, there is still construction going on in the building. So if you are there for a holiday/vacation, be prepared for banging and construction after 9am (I was still in bed). I thought the room prices were fair (but still pricey) considering other choices in midtown Manhattan. Loved the view!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
DekkerDo,

Thanks for the review and the feedback. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to having you back on your next trip to NYC.

Safe Travels!
Redding, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

Very cool boutique hotel in Hell's Kitchen. It is not the greatest location but a room on the higher floors have spectacular views of the city skyline...which is definitely worth a few extra blocks of walking. Young eager helpful staff. The roof top bar, unfortunately had a private party and was closed the night that we were there. The premium rooms have large bathroom with soaking tub and shower, I will be back.

Room Tip: Try to get a city view king premier room. They are 400 sq. feet and very comfortable with large bat...
flagfan,

Thanks for the comprehensive review. I am glad you came to Hell’s Kitchen to try us out. I will definitely share your constructive criticism with the rest of the management team.

We look forward to hosting you again in the near future!

Cheers!
Land of the Pharoah's
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

This hotel has very nice rooms, a decent restaurant, and is in a very very convenient location if you are going to New York to see the Intrepid or Pier 84 (or really like to walk). Once you know the location and are comfortable with the location then be advised that other than a nice view of midtown (if you pay for the city view upgrade) then there is little else to this hotel. Their rooftop bar, Press Lounge, is fine if you happen to be so lucky as to getting to see it. The whole time we were there it was closed each night for "private events." Even though those private events are not on the Press Lounge calendar, the most you can hope for from a front desk manager (like the one who was working Saturday evening, 06 October 2012, is an annoyed "Yeah, it's closed, sorry about that."

Wouldn't stay here again, and will seriously consider whether we go with the Kimpton brand in the future.

Room Tip: If you do choose to stay here then definitely go with the city view. Anything looking south is bloc...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Olimpia M, Manager at Ink48 - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
Fredoftheworld,

Thank you so much for the feedback. It is important for us to receive feedback such as this as it is the only way we will be able to improve our operation. I am so sorry for the troubles you ran into with the rooftop lounge. We are actively working on better ways to communicate lounge closures other than keeping our website current with the closure dates.

Gracias and Travel safe!

Been to Ink48 - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!