“Hyped trendy hotel not suitable for demanding business travelers and a bit too expensive” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ink48 - a Kimpton Hotel

Save Saved
You added Ink48 - a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Ink48 - a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   653 11th Avenue at 48th, New York City, NY 10036 (Hell's Kitchen)   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
Love to Drive
Ranked #65 of 451 hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersGold level
Frankfurt, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2011

The hotel was recommended to me by an experienced travel partner I work with. The rate I thought was quite high at over 230 dollars considering its location which is somewhat out of the way.

The facade is disappointing and you wonder if you are in the right place at that price when you just arrive. When you enter, you find yourself in what looks like an over trendy bar and you regret not dressing appropriately (especially if you just stepped off an intercontinental flight). This was mid-afternoon yet it seemed like it was the beginning of a club evening with regards to lighting, design, sofas in some sort of leopard prints and lounge music. That environment probably does not work that well with the business travelers that wants a bit of anonymity. Other travelers seemed to by a bit consumed by themselves: a bit aloof, eccentric but again maybe this is the ideal clientele.

The staff was young and dynanmic and helpful "try the top floor roof and watch the views. it is a must," she said. But she didnt warn me that a hurricane was coming on the Sunday and this was not going to be possible on the Saturday (which was still a day before the hurricane). So I could not get to see it. When I mentioned my disappointment considered the hype the staff had made on the Saturday I had chosen to see the views, I was met with "everyone knows there is a hurricane". This is a bit arrogant. A lot of people in Europe did not know this.

My fridge didnt work but the solutions offered by the front staff is not what I expect from a hotel in this category "we will give you a bowl of ice". They did though come up with a new fridge a couple of hours later upon my insistance.

The cleaning lady was inattentive: I had left more tips than I would normally, thinking this was the kind of place where that was expected. However, she forgot to replace the conditioner I had used up. Moreover, they kept on knocking at your door at 8 pm and 9 pm to ask you if you needed more towels. Towels? If you need them(even more) at that time a night, you probably would just call for them. This inconvenience is not appropriate at that time. They should have checked my fridge wasnt working instead!

The restaurant is trendy. It seems you get a tray and eat your food from there. Ok this
is how a design hotel may work. But there was no real welcome and it wasnt clear if you should just go sit down. I just went somewhere else.

The bathroom can be a bit confusing. Working out the shower on the basis of just four round dots and three handles without no indication which is hot or cold, which provides more water and which is for which shower, may seem tasteful in terms of looks but it is not practical and if you are in rush this is unhelpful. The tray for the soap was also tilted at an angle so it could not hold the soap. In fact it was a cheap looking plastic thing covered with some chrome coloured paint. The mirrors in the bathroom distorts how you look, similar to the mirrors in a fun park. The bathroom was huge though. Really big.
The room was also big. And the design granted was rather appealing with modern trendy furniture. Also with a view of the hudson, you can see the sunset. That was quite impressive.
Overall though I felt the concept did not fit what a business traveler might need. Sometimes you do not want to have to dress up just to go to the lobby.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Ink48, Manager at Ink48 - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, September 4, 2011
Dear Evoqueen ,

Thank you for staying with us at the Ink48, a Kimpton Hotel. I am glad you enjoyed the view of the Hudson and your overall stay with us. I am sorry you had to insist on getting a working fridge in your room and the time it took to get one.

If your travel brings you back to us, do send me a line so I can welcome you personally.

Thanks for the feedback.

Victor Muoghalu

1,799 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (514)
Syracuse, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2011

This was my first time staying at Ink 48 hotel. When I arrived everyone was fully accommodating and the whole time I was there the customer service exceeded my expectations, which into day’s world customer service is something that is lost in many hotels. The concierge Jeffery had a vast knowledge of everything in the city from who is performing in what show, to what restaurant to eat at for every cuisine, he made our experience in New York city special by the places he could recommend (and booked our reservations every night could it get any easier ???), so if you go seek out Jeffrey!! Also free wine hour from 5 to 6 is a great way to pick the staff’s brains on things to do. Oh and the view, AMAZING, the rooms were beautiful floor to ceiling windows, there is nothing I would have changed about this posh looking hotel. I will be staying here again when I go back.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2011

While I travel to the city quite frequently, I typically stay with friends. On this occasion I decided to splurge a little and book a room at Ink 48. While the hotel is a little out of the way in Hell's Kitchen, the quality of the building and the service I received was more than worth the hike. I was greeted by name when I walked in and the staff was very extremely helpful and courteous with anything that was asked of them. My room, the CityView Studio King was absolutely amazing and the unobstructed of the Manhattan skyline was something I will not soon forget. Speaking of the skyline, the rooftop bar is one of the best I have ever been on with the sunset over the Hudson on one side and Manhattan on the other. If all other Kimpton properties are as fine as Ink 48, I may be forced to stay in hotels for my city visits and my friends can visit me there.

Room Tip: Watch your email after making a reservation for cheap upgrades!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2011

A fantastic pet friendly hotel with super service and extremely accomodating staff. Nady was awesome!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2011

We liked:
Location - Very easy to walk to restaurants and tourists spots/theatres
Wine time - free wine in the lobby in the evenings
View from rooftop bar

Didn't particularly like:
Prices of food/drinks in rooftop bar with compulsory tip of 20% built in.
Booked a Hudson river suite. Had the car park view of truck parking lot. In fairness could see the river and cruise ships but certainly could have been better.
Late night room service menu very sparse.
Dark and dingey corridors
Nightclub feel in the lobby is a bit threatening at night

This hotel has a very popular nightclub on the roof which can be heard from the guestrooms. There is a line up with bouncers (to a private elevator for the patrons) each night when you return to the hotel. It does not envoke a friendly feel. You just want to get to your room asap and not loiter in the lobby.

Room Tip: Don't get the car park view - I think this was level 6.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Ink48, Manager at Ink48 - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, September 12, 2011
Dear mandmshow,

Thank you for staying with us at the Ink48, a Kimpton Hotel. I do appreciate your feedback and understand your concern about boutique vs. traditional hotels.

If you decide to give us a second chance, please reach out to me directly.

Thanks for your feedback.

Victor Muoghalu
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

This was our second trip to Ink 48 and we loved it even more this time. We became Kimpton members a year ago and so were able to get an extremely low rate. When we walked into our room, there was a bottle of wine chilling (thanks to the fabulous lead concierge, Jeffrey), and the views of the river to the GW Bridge AND to Times Square were just incredible! We LOVE the rooftop bar. The location is central, but not wall-to-wall people like other Midtown locations. The staff is always super friendly and helpful. What's not to love?

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Tacoma, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

What a gem in the Hell's Kitchen area of NYC. We were within walking distance of everything we needed to see and really enjoyed coming back to the hotel in the late afternoon to enjoy happy hour, sunsets from the rooftop lounge and those great views of the city skyline. We have been to NYC several times now and would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Ink48 - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!