“Modern, Comfortable, Welcoming - Not To Miss!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ink48 - a Kimpton Hotel

You added Ink48 - a Kimpton Hotel to your Saves list
Ink48 - a Kimpton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   653 11th Avenue at 48th, New York City, NY 10036 (Hell's Kitchen)   |
Hotel packages
Offers & Announcements
Book Early And Save
Ranked #50 of 455 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersGold level
Boston, Massachusetts
“Modern, Comfortable, Welcoming - Not To Miss!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2011

I had been searching for a boutique hotel in Manhattan for my fiancee and I to stay in the weekend we were married, and I was thrilled to find Ink48 by Kimpton. I initially attempted to book through a 3rd party site that was offering a discounted rate, but was unable to do so. I ended up working directly with the Northeast Regional Sales Manager, who went out of his way to get us a great room at an amazing rate.

We arrived the day before our wedding, and were greeted warmly by America at the front desk. She congratulated us on the occasion of our trip, and checked us in quickly. I had an issue with my dress and was hoping to find a local cleaner, and she offered to call a few local shops and then call up to our room with more information.

We went up to our room, which was a City View Studio. The gentleman who helped me book had advised it was his preferred room style at the property, and I can understand why! In addition to the great view, spacious size, and amazing rain shower, there is a HUGE soaking tub...in the main room area! You can soak, fully submerged, and see the skyline of Manhattan, or watch TV. The room amenities include bath salts and plush funky bathrobes. Suffice to say, I soaked in that tub every single day of our stay!

Several minutes after arriving in our room, America called to update me on the cleaner situation for my dress. She wasn't able to find anyone locally to take care of what I needed that same day, but she suggested that I could send the dress through the hotel's dry-clean services, and said she had spoken with the head of housekeeping who didn't think there would be any problem. I agreed, and she sent a bellman up to our room to collect the dress. I showed him what needed to be done, and he took it away.

A few minutes later as we were leaving, the bellman and the housekeeping manager arrived at our door. The housekeeping manager explained that she didn't think the dress needed to go out for cleaning, and that special fabric tape would resolve the issue. She had in her hand a packet of fabric tapes, which she gave to me at no charge! Wouldn't you know - they exactly resolved the issue, and the dress didn't need to be sent out. I was so thankful for the consideration and attention they provided around this issue, which had been causing me a moderate amount of stress.

The next day was our wedding ceremony, and when we returned to the hotel there was a congratulatory note from the staff, with a bottle of champagne and fresh strawberries! It was a lovely gesture, and added an extra touch to an already amazing day.

Throughout the rest of our stay, I found the staff to always be welcoming and friendly at all times. Anyone that we passed in the hallway, elevator or lobby always greeted us and any other guests nearby warmly. Our room was well-kept every day, and the hotel property was always in top shape. The king-sized bed was vast, and amazingly comfortable with quality linens and good pillows.

We had not stayed in Hell's Kitchen before, and I had read some of the reviews that mentioned the hotel is surrounded by car showrooms. This is accurate, however there is a wealth of cafes, restaurants, and shops all in a few blocks' walking distance, as is Time Square. But perhaps the best thing within walking distance is the Hudson River, and kiosks from which you can rent bikes and ride for miles along the river! That was something we had not done before in New York, and given that the weather was hot and sunny, it was the perfect way to spend an afternoon. We biked down to the Financial District, saw the Statue of Liberty, and enjoyed the city in a whole new way. Without staying at Ink48, it's not likely we would have done that and it really added something to our stay.

Other hotel amenities that enhance the experience: the rooftop bar - amazing views, great oudoor space, but can be very crowded and a bit of a scene; free internet for members of the Kimpton In-Touch Loyalty Program (free to register); free beverages throughout the day in the lobby; free wine hour in the evenings; spa and fitness center (did not have the opportunity to use).

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (599)
Fredericksburg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2011

Ok..This hotel is located in mid-town Manhattan but we knew that when we made the reservation. The location is a comfortable walk to Times Square and the theater district (about 15 - 20) minutes.. We had a very nice junior suite facing the river and overlooking the aircraft carrier Intrepid.. Very nice. We did not experience any noise issues as described by other reviewers. The room was nice and large (particularly by NYC standards) and very comfortable. The choice in decor is different (as anyone who is a frequent guest at Kimpton's would know that is not unusual). We enjoyed our stay and found the hotel to be up to our expectations with the exceptions outline below.

Concierge:I had emailed several days prior to our visit about arranging a tour to Ellis Island & Statue of Liberty. I received a response back that they would check it out and get back with me. After two additional emails days later I still received no response. Once we arrived I asked for the concierge I had been communicating with. First I was told he would be in at 3:00 then later told he was not in at all. I was referred to the asst concierge for assistance..When asked about a possible tour she seemed totally confused that there even was a Statue of Liberty in New York.. After many confused looks she finally asked a desk clerk who gave us some information. (Not very impressed).

On another front.. Evidently the restaurant and the rooftop lounge are owned by a different company than the hotel. We dined in the restaurant. When my wife went to carry in her glass of complimentary wine from the lobby, she was told no can do.. Ok, we turned it over to the hostess. As an Inner Circle member, part of my benefits is a free chef's course in the Kimpton restaurants.. When I asked about this I was told.. Nope not in this restaurant... OK...Whatever. We ordered.. Me short ribs and my wife calamari... Suffice to say.. disappointing...

Finally I went to the bar to get a nightcap to take up to my room. The bartender asked me if I was staying at the hotel.. Sure I said (thinking maybe something good was to follow).. Oh no.. I was told... No drinks up to your room..You had to drink it there or in the rooftop lounge due to different owners and liquor licenses... Ironically you can order cocktails to be delivered to your room by room service (hey wait I'm confused).

In any event our stay was nice and these minor issues did not prevent us from having a nice time in NYC.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Austin TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2011

Our stay was fabulous, a corner room with great views. The roomtop lounge is too cool, great views as well. Our room was lovely -- the bed oh so comfortable! The entire staff was very attentive and caring - a thoroughly fine experience.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2011

We spent a night here as part of a friend's weekend birthday party.

We are astonished to read the favorable reviews.

We'll start with the bad first because most of our impressions fit in that category:

Location: the hotel is in a poor location on the far west side of the city. Apart from a diner five minutes down the avenue (on the way to which we were harassed by some pretty thuggish looking men who seem to congregate there), there is nothing within a reasonable (15 minutes) walking distance, and most Manhattan restaurants or other features are a good 20-3 minutes walk from the hotel.

Interior: the lobby feels more like a cheap nightclub, the design concept escapes anyone with an eye for the attractive, the lobby seats are uncomfortable and the overall look is confusing and cheap.

Bedrooms: the "cheap" theme is consistently applied here: disharmonious colors, cheap materials, very unattractive room.

Noise: the place seems to perceive itself as a nightclub/cool vibe/hip place, so if one is over 30-35, one feels decidedly out of place. The lobby is chaotic and crowded and the street noise can be awful: we were awakened at least 4 times during the night - and it was a winter Saturday night, usually a quieter time in the city.

The good:

The bedrooms are a good size. The place is relatively inexpensive. The view from the rooftop lounge/terrace is very nice at night, but why not stay in a nicer hotel and just go to the rooftop lounge for a drink?

Overall a really downscale place trying to cover the inexpensive hotel conversion plan with a few cosmetic, nightclub-like design finishes.

Very limi

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
Ink48, Manager at Ink48 - a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, July 1, 2011
Dear Mr. RTL212,

Thank you for staying with us at the Ink48 Hotel. I greatly appreciate your constructive feedback and sad to note our style and design concept did not appeal to you.

Hope you come back to enjoy the rooftop and stay with our sister properties in the area which might more suited to your taste and feel.

Victor Muoghalu
Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2011

and here is a letter she wrote to the hotel:

Comments and Requests:

I just wanted to let the manager know what a great job Ralhan Patel
did this past week while I was in NYC for my job and brought my
daughter along. My daughter had gotten sick during the day from
probable motion sickness with the cabs and the heat of walking
around a lot that day with temps being high. When we checked in and
arrived in our room, we found a note from Anna & concierge welcoming
my daughter to NYC for her first trip, but a bear & t-shirt. She also
picked out of the "treat trunk" in the lobby. She loves her slinky!
Karli also got cookies and milk sent to the room as a "welcome". She
loved all this! However, as we were checking in, Ralhan, asked about
my daughter as she appeared unhappy and was holding her stomach. I
told him she was feeling bad and I was nervous (being there for work,
leaving her with my friend who was meeting us there later- so she
could babysit while I worked the next day, the overall "experience"
for Karli's first trip, etc.) about this situation. He had flowers
sent up, animal crackers, ginger ale, Halls, and pepto tabs. He also
called to check on her and asked if we needed anything at all, to let
him know.

Karli was so happy by all these treats, she wanted "to drink her
ginger ale, eat some crackers, and leave the hotel room to see NYC."
My friend arrived about an hour later, and was none the wiser about
the earlier scare of Karli being sick.....as Karli was smiling,
feeling better and ready to go! It honestly was all the things that
Ralhan did (and Anna's earlier treats with concierge) that truly made
Karli feel better. This was the "make or break" of our trip I
believe. I will always try and stay here in the future (I have to
return July 11-15 to NYC) if gov. rate is available and will always
remember the nice things you did for Karli.

As a Kimpton Rewards In Touch member, who has stayed in your hotels
from San Diego to Atlanta....this was truly the BEST experience
ever. I really wanted you to know these things and could not wait to
write! Thanks again.

Alisha (and Karli :)

Awesome job to Anna in Concierge prior to my arrival & Ralhan Patel after
we arrived. My daughter was not feeling well, and he went way above and
beyond to make this trip the best ever. Ralhan was professional, caring &
so sweet when Karli was sick after we got to NYC. He truly "made her
better" with the flowers, animal cookies, ginger ale he sent to the room!!
THANK YOU for this experience and having such a wonderful staff like them.
The best!! Sincerely, Alisha & karli

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Rochester, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2011

My wife and I very much enjoyed our stay at this hotel. The rooftop bar was very cool. Price was perfectly reasonable for NYC. We like to walk, so the distance from the subway was no issue. For those who prefer cabs, there are plenty 24/7. We'll be back.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2011

We had a wonderful stay at the Kimpton Hotel. Our room was lovely and comfortable. More importantly, the personnel, from cleaning staff to wait staff, door staff to front desk managers were not only pleasant but alert and helpful. offering suggestions when they noticed us searching a guide book, directions when they saw us with a map. When we required more than general attention at the front desk and the line grew long behind us, the manager immediately called for additional staff to assist other guests and continued to help us without making us feel rushed. We will return!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Been to Ink48 - a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!