“A great home in SoHo” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Four Points by Sheraton Manhattan SoHo Village

You added Four Points by Sheraton Manhattan SoHo Village to your Saves list
Four Points by Sheraton Manhattan SoHo Village
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   66 Charlton Street, New York City, NY 10014 (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #291 of 458 Hotels in New York City
Kitchener, Canada
“A great home in SoHo”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

I have been to new york 6 times and have stayed at a wide variety of Starwood properties -- the former W Tuscany, Westin Times Square (back when it had a club lounge), Sheraton Towers, and twice at the St. Regis. So I've had a fairly wide spectrum of experiences in New York, and all of them have been very good.

Having stayed exclusively in midwotn, my wife and I were excited to call a new neighbourhood home for our 4 night stay. Prices were competitive all over (in fact, the Four Points Times Square was even cheaper), but we decided to stay here for $165/night. Given my platinum status, I chose the breakfast option as my amentity. I tried to use my "suite night" awards prior to check in, but, alas, the two suites (I think they have only 2) were occupied.

We took Strusser's Limo Service in a nice SUV from LGA to the hotel. Our check-in was prompt, polite and efficient. They were kind enough to locate us on the 19th floor (1 from the top -- suites are on the top), with a view north. I quite enjoyed the view -- could see both the Chysler and Empire State buildings, and also the Hudson to the north-west.

The room was quite small, but welcome to New York. It had everything one could need, including electrical outlets next to the bed. The bathroom was a very pleasant surprise. Small, but a very nice full-size shower as opposed to an oppressive a nasty shower/tub combo I hate so much (Westin and Sheraton Toronto, I'm looking at you...). The room did have a bit of a smell -- I wouldn't say it was offensive or nasty, it just had a smell. Hard to explain.

I must confess that I'm not the biggest fan of Four Points beds. I find them to be very hot -- and I hate being hot when I'm sleeping. However, I found the bed at this hotel to be extremeley comfortable. I did not over-heat, the pillows were fine (a litle over-stuffed), and the mattress quite comfortable. This was the best Four Points bed I have ever slept in. Walking miles every day also might have helped.

Breakfast was served downstairs in the restaurant. The first morning, service was very slow -- despite there only being two other tables occupied in the restaurant. The lady serving I don't think had good organization skills. Now the remaining mornings we were served in a wonderfully efficient and friendly manner, and the experience was terrific. ;The platinum voucher, which is typically only for continental, was a dollar value that covered the main breakfast combo (3 eggs, meat, toast, hasbrowns, coffee, juice). I appreciated that very much. They didn't even bring a bill for me to sign, and when I asked for one to leave a gratuity against my room, the staff said it was included.

I REALLY liked the location of this hotel. I didn't hear club noise, or contruction noise. That said, the building is by no means sound proof, and one night was garbage pick-up noise, and it sounded like the truck was actually in my room (perhaps in the closet? -- oh wait, there wasn' one!) The view was great, and it was 1 block from the #1 subway line. We could go from our room to the middle of Times Square in about 15 minutes -- amazing! It was also a short walk to Prince and Spring streets, where all of the action, restuarants, shops are, etc.

Because we were staying in a neighbourhood rather than a tourist mecca, it felt like we were living in New York. We really enjoyed our experience at the Four Points. If I was heading to New York and wanted to spend as little as I could on a hotel, but stay in an area I liked, and a place that I know will be clean and comfortable, I will looke to come back here.

By the way -- New York in December is magical.

Room Tip: Get a high room for a terrific view and to get further away from street noise.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
AdamModica, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Manhattan SoHo Village, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
  • Turkish first
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

Location:
While the location of the hotel was convenient to the subway and a reasonable walk to a variety of restaurants it is actually located in Hudson Square and not SoHo. Within the immediate area of the hotel there is little to see or places to eat.

Hotel amenities:
There are two elevators servicing the hotel and the wait was at times excessively long.
The hotel bar is tiny, uninviting and on the one occasion I ventured in there, the service was absolutely terrible despite the lack of any other customers.
Free wifi is nice but very slow and at times did not even work at all.

Noise:
The hotel feels quite cheaply built and soundproofing clearly was not one of the building priorities. I could hear sounds from rooms, not only directly next to mine but also on the diagonally opposite side of the building.
The external windows do not block outside noise so the traffic waiting to enter the Holland Tunnel can be very loud during peak times. Having stayed in NYC a number times previous, traffic noise does not bother me but could pose problems for others.
Due to crazy weather I used both heating and cooling in the room. There is no central air so you turn on the individual unit in the room as required. The unit is very loud, so loud that I only ran the unit as absolutely necessary. The temperature regulation is horrible so you have to turn the unit on and off from that perspective anyway.

Room:
As per NYC standards, the room was small. This was expected and fine given I spent little time there.
Unfortunately, despite the small size due to the room layout, the TV could not be viewed from the chair in the room. Only from the bed. And speaking of the bed…

Bed: The highlight of the stay. My queen bed was super comfortable, so with the use of earplugs I did manage some very comfortable and restful sleep.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
AdamModica, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Manhattan SoHo Village, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Thank you for your comments. I I apologize for the multiple dissapointments and will share your feedback collectively with the appropriate staff.

Happy New Year
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

The odour when you enter the hotel lobby over powers... Made me think they are hiding something. Not sure if it is rodent related, sewage or other, but it stinks. The elevators too. Thankfully our room did not smell. Rooms are small and crowded with furniture, a flat screen tv that should be wall mounted to allow more counter space. Linens are good quality, beds are comfortable. Bathroom had been renovated in the fairly recent past. Carpets are dated and need replacing. The gym is quite small and busy in the mornings. All four pieces of cardio equipment (1 treadmill, 1 elliptical and 2 bikes) were occupied 2 out of the 4 times I was in the gym. Close walk to subway and to Soho neighbourhood. Internet allows multiple devices, but is slow. Front desk staff were helpful but are also responsible for all incoming calls, which makes for a hectic and congested reception. The shuttle company the hotel uses to Woodbury Outlets is not comfortable. I would recommend going online and booking your own transportation.

Room Tip: If booking on Expedia or some other site, check again closer to your arrival date if there is a bett...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
AdamModica, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Manhattan SoHo Village, responded to this review, December 31, 2013
Thank you for the feedback. The scent in our lobby is a branded "Pinwheels in the Breeze". The same scent in all Four Points properties. I apologize if you felt it was over bearing.
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

Nice hotel from outside, and the rooms are ok but are showing their age. WiFi was reliable but speed (1.5 Mbps) was barely good enough for voip calls. Other hotels had faster WiFi that was better for business use. The location was good, but other areas (e.g. Lower East Side) were livelier and had more restaurants to choose from.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
AdamModica, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Manhattan SoHo Village, responded to this review, December 26, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We are currently working on a way to improve our WiFi speed and hope that we resolve shortly.
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for 6-days. The front desk agent was very pleasant to greet me and was able to issue a room even when it was only about 1:00PM.

However, I simply don't understand the following:

* The bathroom wash basin is regular small basin fitted with a kitchen use faucet hardware. Every time I turn the water on, just even washing my hands - it's like I've been through a rain shower. For a face wash, it's back to kindergarten kids, playground with water fountain splatting everywhere. By the way, the kitchen faucet is able to turn the spout away from the basin, anyone could flood the entire bathroom and the room anytime.

* All the track lighting in the room and bathroom feels like as if I'm an artwork in a gallery. Is it necessary for a track of 5x spotlights? Besides, there's no chance of reading in bed because I don't think I can even read a word on a page with lights in my face. In the bathroom, I must be very happy with my body that I'd love to be Mr. Muscle to flex my biceps under all the lights, I don't really think so.

* Apparently, there's must be some sort of hidden alarm system that the guest can switch on for the room with a motion detector smack in the middle of the room. Or, it's a device that detects motion of guests in the room for the security/management to see if the guests are burglars?

One of the days at the hotel, I've returned to the room with the door ajar early evening at about 5:00PM. The housekeeping staff for that day serviced the room but didn't close it shut. Thank God that I didn't leave anything valuable in the room.

The thing is does it matter how many stars that any given hotel was rated as? Or is it the room rate? It's suppose to be a place away from home that makes the guest feel at ease, secured, safe, comfortable - for the least in basics of hotel standards, in my point of view.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your feedback. We regret to here that you did not enjoy your accommodations. We have shared your feedback with the appropriate teams. Your comments on the lighting and sink basin in our bathroom are unique to us. We have never had guest mention these items. The surveillance device which you mention is a motion sensor that allows us to shut off the Air Conditioning unit after hours of inactivity. This is part of our sustainable efforts. I apologize once again that you did not enjoy your stay with us.
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

Overall, a well-managed property. As others have mentioned, the location if not central, is at least convenient with with the 1 & 2 subway line (Houston) a block away and ACE lines (Spring St) two blocks away.

For a business traveler, room size is decent. In looking at the floor plan, there are only 8 rooms per floor and the rooms in the corners are slightly larger. It would be a little tight for a couple on vacation, but it is New York. Good size desk with a bunch of outlets conveniently located. I was in room 608 which was facing the front directly over the hotel entrance. Charlton is a relatively quiet side street and you're just far away enough from Varick that I didn't hear that much street noise...an occasional siren or horn and sanitation truck early one morning. Very quiet compared to Times Square hotels I've previously stayed at.

As others have stated, free bottled water is a nice touch. Decent TV channel selection. No complaints about housekeeping. The furnishing generally were good and I slept well (although I did notice the desk chair was **very** worn...almost looked like it was aged on purpose but I don't think so ;-) Front desk staff were various degrees of friendly, but always appropriate. I managed to leave my Sonicare in the room but housekeeping tracked it and I was able to pick it up the next day. Good service there.

The restaurant is not bad. I arrived very late, hadn't had dinner and the weather was bad, so decided to eat in the restaurant based on some pretty good yelp reviews. Service was great, food was overpriced but decent and they had an OK selection of beers on tap. I assume the same kitchen provides room service so room service would be a good option if you didn't want to leave your room. We went here for drinks the next night and same great service.

I agree with others however about the bathroom. Plenty of space, but in my room there was no way to keep water from the walk-in shower from forming a lake in the middle of the bathroom floor. Shower drained very slowly and no matter how much attention I paid to keeping the door closed or the shower head pointed towards the wall...it didn't matter. I don't think it helped that both the shower stall and bathroom floor were level (rather than sloping slightly towards the drain) so whatever water ended up on the floor didn't drain. Also, beware that the walk-in shower is way too small for people of size (which meant I regularly knocked the shower door open). A colleague mentioned they did not have a walk-in shower, but it might be something that is different from room to room.

And I also like to echo a previous posters comment about the amount of counter space in the bathroom (pretty much zero). I didn't even have a place to put a normal sized toiletry kit. This is unfortunate given the fact that the bathroom itself is decent sized.

Overall a great, dozy business class hotel with the only downside being the bathroom.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback.
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

I cannot say how great the staff at the Four Points Soho were. They went out of their way to ask about our trip, and upon finding out we were celebrating a 40th birthday, sent a bottle of champagne to the room. The view from the room was great. The room was super clean. The location cannot be beat for Soho - a small walk to the main area of Soho, but a great bargain for the location. Easy cab access - a great place!

Room Tip: Recommend City view room
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Four Points by Sheraton Manhattan SoHo Village? Share your experiences!