“Great service but small rooms” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Doubletree By Hilton - Times Square South

You added Doubletree By Hilton - Times Square South to your Saves list
Doubletree By Hilton - Times Square South
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   341 West 36th Street, New York City, NY 10018 (Formerly Hotel 36) (Midtown)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Double Points!
Ranked #233 of 464 Hotels in New York City
Lake Forest, United States
“Great service but small rooms”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

The people that work here are great. Everyone is super friendly and aimed to make your stay enjoyable. However, the room was not clean on 2 evenings that we returned to the room. We had to call the front desk and leave the room for an hour each evening. Other than that, it was great. The rooms were very small and definitely not cheap but this is what you get in NYC. But that being said, the rooms could have been slightly bigger for the money.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Joshua D, Manager at Doubletree By Hilton - Times Square South, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Dear Andrew,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Your feedback is greatly appreciated. I am very sorry that you did not find the size of our guest rooms accommodating to your travel needs. I am also very sorry about the report that you made regarding the Housekeeping Services for your room during your stay with us. This matter as been addressed and rectified with our Guest Services Management as well as our Housekeeping Management Teams. I hope that you found our resolution satisfactory. I would like to thank you for your kind words towards our staff. I look forward to sharing this positive feedback with the rest of the DoubleTree Times Square South Guest Services Team. Thank you for all of your feedback, your patience, understanding, and loyalty to DoubleTree Times Square South. Have a fantastic day!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
  • Turkish first
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

Great location if you want to catch Broadway shows, do some big-store shopping, and have an unlimited Metro Pass to visit many other parts of NYC -- this hotel is just blocks away from it all...yet far enough for some peace and quiet when you want to sleep. (However, I'm originally from New York so walking a few blocks is not a big deal to me. Some people who want the hub-bub of Times Square right outside your door may prefer another hotel.)

We had a king room with a great shower (no tub), a small desk to get some work done, and a small amount of floor space. It's great for a couple, but you'd probably need more room for a family. While the in-room coffee is iffy, the free cookies are a big plus. Overall, it's a great place to stay if you simply want a clean room to rest your head, and basic amenities to clean up from your day's adventures.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Dear Ms. Rodriguez,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Your feedback is greatly appreciated. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed the accommodations and services of the hotel. I am glad you found our location accommodating to your travel needs and quite enough for a restful night's sleep. I am also glad that you enjoyed our cookies. We enjoy offering them to you! Please, make DoubleTree Times Square South your hotel of choice whenever visiting the New York City area. We appreciate your business and loyalty. Thank you for choosing to stay with us and have a wonderful day!
Albany, New York, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

Sorely disappointed - for the price and based on photos, I expected a normal size room. Imagine a small room with 2 double beds squeezed in, hardly any walking space nowhere to put luggage, it was very very disappointing. The beds were a bit too soft for comfort. Breakfast was not included, and cost more than $83 for 4 people. Location was convenient to Penn Station but otherwise not pretty. The famous chocolate chip cookies that are baked fresh in other Doubletree hotels are here kept in a warming oven, making them hard and dry rather than fresh and chewy.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Joshua D, Manager at Doubletree By Hilton - Times Square South, responded to this review, July 19, 2014
Dear Florina,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a survey. Your feedback is greatly appreciated. I am very sorry to hear that you did not find the accommodations of our hotel satisfactory to your travel needs. I am also very sorry to hear that the DoubleTree cookie that we extended to you was not warm and chewy. Your feedback is greatly appreciated and will be brought to the attention of our Guest Services Management Team, so that we may work to improve these issues to better serve you in the future. I am glad to hear that you found the location of our hotel accommodating and I hope that you make DoubleTree Times Square South your hotel of choice whenever visiting the New York City area! Your loyalty is most appreciated. Thank you for choosing DoubleTree Times Square South and have a wonderful day!
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

Stayed at this hotel not too long ago. The bathroom shower has large ceramic tiles which were probably about 2' x 1' in size. After taking a shower, I started stepping out and two of these large tiles came falling down and crashing to the floor, nearly lacerating me in the process.

This was 2 am. We called the front desk hoping to switch rooms because we planned to shower in the morning and we didn't want to deal with the cleanup. The desk did not sound very apologetic, and at first they said they did not have any other rooms available. 10 minutes later, they called back and said they did actually have a room.

We packed everything up, headed down and the desk informed us that the room actually was a double twin and not the king that we initially had. Aside from that, nothing was offered in terms of an apology or anything to make up for almost getting lacerated by falling ceramic tiles. A breakfast would have been nice.

Company ended up offering up a discount of the rate but this did not make up for the frustration and inconvenience, of this happening at 2 am, and not really feeling like the hotel felt sorry or concerned about the safety of their guests. I will avoid Doubletree hotels from now on.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Dear HibikiRush,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a survey. Your feedback is greatly appreciated. I would like to extend my sincerest apologies for the incident that you have reported regarding the emergency bathroom tile maintenance services that were required during your stay with us, requiring you to transfer to a room type, different from the one that you had reserved. Your safety and comfort are our highest priorities, and I am sorry for the concern and inconvenience that this had caused you. I assure you that this matter has been addressed and resolved by our Engineering Team. If you have any further concern regarding this or any other matters, or if I may be of any service to you, please, do not hesitate to contact me (joshua.daly@hilton.com; 212-542-8990x3206), and I will do everything in my power to help. I greatly appreciate your feedback as well as your loyalty to DoubleTree Times Square South. Thank you for choosing us and have a wonderful day!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

Great location, it is 6 blocks away from Times Square, but it is near to Penn Station, Macys & The Maddison Square garden. Sal (staff member) makes you feel at home (should manage the hotel), also William, the cleaning staff, the door men & the concierge lady.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Joshua D, Manager at Doubletree By Hilton - Times Square South, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Dear Manuelo,

Thank you for taking the time to write a response. I am so glad to hear that you found the services and accommodations of the hotel satisfactory to your travel needs. I would like to thank you for your extremely kind and thoughtful words towards Sal and William, as well as our Housekeeping and Concierge staff. This feedback will be shared with the entire DoubleTree Times Square South Guest Services Team so that this report of outstanding service can be praised and recognized. Please, make us your hotel of choice whenever visiting the New York City area. Your loyalty to DoubleTree Times Square South is greatly appreciated. Thank you for your feedback and have a wonderful day! Thank you for your feedback and have a wonderful day!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

Pro's - good location for the activities we had planned. We came into the city via train and it was an easy walk ( with 5 kids ) to the hotel. Rooms were clean, comfortable. A good place to get a good nights sleep at the end of a long day. The gentleman at the front desk was helpful and friendly

Cons - concierge was less than helpful.

Stayed July 2014
Dear Michael,

Thank you for taking the time to write a response. I am very sorry to hear that you did not find our Concierge Services accommodating to your needs. Feel free to contact me (Joshua.daly@hilton.com; 212-542-8900 ext. 3206) if you would like to comment further on this matter, and I will be sure to rectify the issue. I am happy to hear that you found the accommodations and services of the hotel to be satisfactory for you and your five little ones. Please, make us your hotel of choice whenever visiting the New York City area. Your loyalty to DoubleTree Financial District is greatly appreciated. Thank you for your feedback and have a wonderful day! Thank you for your feedback and have a wonderful day!

Mesquite, TX, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

Friendly, welcoming staff! Clean well appointed rooms, comfy beds. Rooms are small but very typical of NYC. Good location near Times Square. Excellent food and great service in the restaurant. Every staff member I encountered was a pleasure to deal with.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Dear Makayla,

Thank you for taking the time to write a response. I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us as well as the accommodations and amenities of the hotel. I am very pleased to receive your praises towards our staff. I can’t wait to share your review with the rest of the DoubleTree Times Square Guest Services Team! Thank you so much for your feedback as well as your loyalty to DoubleTree Times Square South. Have a wonderful day!

-Joshua Daly – Guest Relations Manager

Been to Doubletree By Hilton - Times Square South? Share your experiences!