“A nice place to stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Standard, East Village

Save Saved
You added The Standard, East Village to your Saves list
The Standard, East Village
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   25 Cooper Square, New York City, NY 10003 (Formerly Cooper Square Hotel) (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #169 of 451 hotels in New York City
Edmonton, Canada
“A nice place to stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Stayed here for 5 days. I shared a twin room with a friend. We are both in our 40's. In terms of comparison, I tend to stay at hotels like the Fairmont chain in Canada.

I liked this hotel. I expected a small room and that is what we got, but we had sufficient room for the two of us (our room was bigger than the rooms with one bed). Check in was good, however for some reason the room was not ready by 3:00. This was slightly annoying as we wanted to get settled before heading off for the rest of the day. The hotel comped drinks and food while we waited so they made up for the inconvenience.

The staff, and many of the guests, are young. They are also enthusiastic and extremely helpful. I will say that I was steered wrong a couple of times by someone at the front desk, resulting in going to the wrong subway station to reach my intended destination - I would suggest some more training on popular tourist destinations would be in order there.

The hotel contacted me before our arrival to ask if there were any special requests. I asked for a room higher up with a view, and, having noted an earlier review where the writer complained of no bed side table, I asked for a table. Both requests were honoured. The view, especially from the penthouse, is amazing.

I like the location of this hotel. It is a quieter neighbourhood (well, compared to Times Square!). We were able to walk east one block and found a street full of good restaurants. It is very near NYU so most of the places cater to the student crowd. There are stops on two subway lines very close by. The staff will get you a cab if you prefer - cost me $17.00 to Broadway (including tip).

I would recommend this hotel and if I return to NYC will probably stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

533 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
  • Polish first
Boca Raton, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

First of all, you must understand that there are TWO Standard Hotels in lower Manhattan. If you tell a cab drive, ANY cab drive that you want to go to the Standard hotel, they will take you to the one over near the High Line, near the Hudson river in the meat packing district. You will notice that the building here does not look like the building you saw when you went searching for hotels and found the Standard Hotel at COOPER SQUARE!!!! Or, tell them it's the old Cooper Square Hotel.

We got dropped off, and ended up taking another $15 over the east in Cooper Square!

The lobby is under construction, but this is no problem in any way.

The rooms were a comfortable size compared to many other boutique hotels in New York which go for much higher prices. The bar on the second floor was very nice and you could sit inside our out. There is also a small lounge outside in the garden near the front desk.

One of the most outstanding features of this hotel is the free breakfast in the "penthouse." You can eat outside on the deck or inside if it is cold, rainy, or foggy as it was our first morning. The view of the city east, south and west is outstanding. Don't miss this!

I was there with my daughter visiting some colleges in NYC. If you have a child attending NYU, I can't think of a better place to say. It is a 10-minute walk over to Washington Square the center of NYU's campus.

I've stayed at far-nicer hotels for twice the price. I liked this place and would return again. The staff was great. It must be nice as for the money, there were many Europeans there buying with cheap US dollars.

Room Tip: Higher the better. Although there wasn't that much activity in Cooper Square.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Denver, CO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

Stayed here for the second time in three months. Rooms are standard size for NYC. Views from the higher floors are excellent. Breakfast each morning at the penthouse is a wonderful way to see the city to start your day. Typically breakfast is fruit, bagels, muffins, yogurt, OJ and Coffee.

Bell Hops are very helpful getting taxis. Wireless is strong all over hotel.

Hotel is very modern, with windows floor to ceiling, and wall mounted TVs. Showers are large, bathroom is a little bit small. Rooms are great size for one person. Two people might be a tight as the only other place to sit is in an office chair.

Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

Eventually, the lobby renovations will be done, but for now, room access is a bit awkward and even finding the hotel entrance the first time can be tricky, but because the Standard is a mostly isolated tower in the neighborhood, the views from even the most basic rooms are notable.

During my mid-September visit, they were offering all guests complimentary breakfast on their top floor interior meeting/event space and open roof deck with 360 views of the city.

The room was small, but light filled during the day with floor to ceiling windows along the long wall. In fact, because of the angled exterior wall design, the room felt like a corner room despite not actually being on the corner of the building. The windows and views continued to the bathroom space, but at less than full height. Even the view from the shower was outstanding.

I had a problem with a malfunctioning cable box on my TV which was fixed after just a passing mention of it to a staff member at the bell desk on my way out for a short time out of the hotel. I also had some trouble getting to my room because of a crowd waiting to get to an event on the top floor. Despite those minor annoyances, the stay was pleasant.

I've already booked my next stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor to avoid the remodeling noise at the lobby level.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Twickenham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

I stayed here for 8 nights while on business, so I didn't pay for the room. I think I preferred the room at the Mondrian although that was smaller. Good size bed and and bathroom is a good space with a very spacious walk in shower. No bed side tables, which is a bit odd. Good turn down service and they supplied free in room water. We stayed whilst the hotel was doing a reception area refurb so they included a free breakfast on the 21st floor, which has a fantastic view, they also did a pop up bar on the 21st floor once a week, again nice view but shame about the plastic glasses. The actual bar on the 2nd floor looked a bit bland and boring. Very polite and helpful staff and the garden area is nice to sit in for a coffee etc.. I heard normal book rate is $400 in which case this would be to expensive for my company.

Room Tip: Go high up as you can and west side so you can get a good view.
San Francisco, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

We've stayed at The Standard East Village twice during their renovation. While the location is excellent (we enjoyed walking to Washington Square Park, St. Mark's Place, and favorite restaurants on the Lower East Side), we found the service to be disappointing and inconsistent. Notably, after both stays, we noticed erroneous credit card charges although we had not used the minibar. Way too many back-and-forths were needed to resolve this. We've never heard of such discrepancies at the High Line or Los Angeles locations, so the fact that we had to dispute our bill on consecutive stays at the new East Village hotel was troubling. In contrast to the friendly doormen, the front desk employees we interacted with were cold and unresponsive. When we reported a loud party next door including a dozen non-hotel-guests, it took several calls before the situation was resolved. To make up for the lack of lobby and common spaces during the renovation, the hotel offered breakfast (complimentary) and happy hour (cash bar) in the penthouse. The 360-degree views from the wrap-around deck are stunning. While we hope to be able return to enjoy the views and prime location, the mediocre service prevents us from recommending The Standard East Village to colleagues traveling to New York.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

I got in late and left early. The room, of course, was small - ie. boutique. Some parts were still under construction, but it gives guests an opportunity to have a continental breakfast in the penthouse. I was impressed by the bathroom, and the room in general. Hall was quiet, but as always the city hummed below, and sometimes crashed sometime between 2 and 4 in the am.
This is NYC and you will pay to play.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Been to The Standard, East Village? Share your experiences!