Stayed here for 5 days. I shared a twin room with a friend. We are both in our 40's. In terms of comparison, I tend to stay at hotels like the Fairmont chain in Canada.
I liked this hotel. I expected a small room and that is what we got, but we had sufficient room for the two of us (our room was bigger than the rooms with one bed). Check in was good, however for some reason the room was not ready by 3:00. This was slightly annoying as we wanted to get settled before heading off for the rest of the day. The hotel comped drinks and food while we waited so they made up for the inconvenience.
The staff, and many of the guests, are young. They are also enthusiastic and extremely helpful. I will say that I was steered wrong a couple of times by someone at the front desk, resulting in going to the wrong subway station to reach my intended destination - I would suggest some more training on popular tourist destinations would be in order there.
The hotel contacted me before our arrival to ask if there were any special requests. I asked for a room higher up with a view, and, having noted an earlier review where the writer complained of no bed side table, I asked for a table. Both requests were honoured. The view, especially from the penthouse, is amazing.
I like the location of this hotel. It is a quieter neighbourhood (well, compared to Times Square!). We were able to walk east one block and found a street full of good restaurants. It is very near NYU so most of the places cater to the student crowd. There are stops on two subway lines very close by. The staff will get you a cab if you prefer - cost me $17.00 to Broadway (including tip).
I would recommend this hotel and if I return to NYC will probably stay here again.
- Also Known As:
- The Standard, East Village Hotel
- The Standard, East Village Hotel New York City
- Hotel Cooper Square
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Cooper Square Hotel has recently been acquired by hotelier Andre Balazs to become the 5th addition to The Standard group of hotels in New York, Los Angeles and Miami. Located on the corner of East 5th Street and Bowery, the 21 story building offers 145 spacious rooms and suites with sweeping views of Manhattan, thoughtful comforts and stellar service in one of New York’s most exciting neighborhoods. The Standard, East Village provides a more intimate, residential alternative to The Standard on the High Line, on the West Side. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookingCom, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Tablet Hotels, Priceline, Splendia, MrandMrsSmith, EasyToBook, Venere, Otel, Fareportal and Jetsetter so you can book your The Standard, East Village reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.