“Pleasant” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Standard, East Village

Save Saved
You added The Standard, East Village to your Saves list
The Standard, East Village
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   25 Cooper Square, New York City, NY 10003 (Formerly Cooper Square Hotel) (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #168 of 455 Hotels in New York City
Nashville, Tennessee
“Pleasant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

I got in late and left early. The room, of course, was small - ie. boutique. Some parts were still under construction, but it gives guests an opportunity to have a continental breakfast in the penthouse. I was impressed by the bathroom, and the room in general. Hall was quiet, but as always the city hummed below, and sometimes crashed sometime between 2 and 4 in the am.
This is NYC and you will pay to play.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Polish first
Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

Seeking a fun spot away from the touristy midtown, we found the Standard. It seemed to have been recently purchased and was still undergoing the lobby/restaurant renovations. Had we not seen the construction, we wouldn't have known! Noise was never an issue and the staff compensated for the "inconvenience". They accommodated us for an early check-in with ease, allowing us to explore the fantastic neighborhood. Room was tiny, but comfortable. Enjoyed the city view shower, great toiletries, and comfy bed and linens. Certainly not flashy, but very sleek! LOVED the bar - great vibe, bartenders and drinks. Would stay again in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: We enjoyed our 9th floor, north facing, corner room. Not as many windows as others it seemed, but y...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

New York isnt a cheap place to stay - and we ended up spending a bit more to stay 2 nights at The Standard. Its a very trendy hotel, with stylish staff and fittings , if a little on the 'safe' side.
Our room was only on the 4th floor so I was a little dissapointed for the money we were spending we didn't get a great view over the tops of the buildings. The windows let plenty of light in , and i was slightly worried at first people could see into our room from street level.
The room was larger then originally expected, with a very comfy soft bed.
Highlight was the bathtub , amazing to enjoy after a long day :) The huge monk robes were pretty funny !
Because of construction work currently happening the hotel is offering complimentary breakfast in the penthouse - this is a massive bonus as gives you fantastic views over the whole city. Gorgeous room, nice bagels! make use of this, if it wasnt included i would think the hotel was a little over priced for what you get.
Location of the hotel is pretty good :)

Room Tip: Be brash and ask for a high room
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

We stayed in a Corner King. The room was a bit small for the price and there was little room for luggage. We only stayed one night so it was fine. I wish the AC stayed on consistently instead of kicking on and off all night. View was nice from the 11th floor. The breakfast on the 21st floor was very nice and the view was spectacular! The staff was very nice. We were visiting our son who lives in the East Village so the location was perfect. That is what mattered most to us - finding a clean nice hotel close to his apt., so this hotel was very good for us.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Paris, France
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

I would not recommend this hotel as it is very expensive for what it is. Rooms are totally soulless and the furniture is quite ugly, couldn't actually believe anyone would find it pleasant, even the colors were not enticing, kind of dark and dull. Plus the worst thing is we had a room on the floor just below the top one (where the bar is), and when we went to bed around midnight, the noise was very strong, so we called the reception to ask if they could do anything about it or if it was always like that, and they said they would call the bar to ask them to close some windows or doors, but of course there was no effect...so really, we couldn't fall asleep until 2am or so. The only positive was the incredible view from that floor high up when we woke up in the morning, but really, not worth the cost.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Matthew T, Manager at The Standard, East Village, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Dear CharlieS80

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at The Standard, East Village. Naturally, I was most concerned to learn that you did not enjoy our room product and that you were kept awake until 2am. Whilst we continue to remodel the hotel we are working on solutions to minimize any disruption. I apologize that you were disturbed from the activity taking place in our Penthouse and I would very much value the opportunity to speak to you in person to restore your faith back in the hotel.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,

Matthew Thomas
Hotel Manager
Miami Beach, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

This probably one of the worst hotels I've stayed at.... and I've been around. I'm not going to list everything, but give you a few highlights.
1. a promise made at reservation, not honored
2. an odd smell that still makes me shudder when I think of it
3. a broken phone in the room, never fixed
4. no answer when I asked to change rooms (said they'd get back to me, but never did)
5. no turn down service .... not even once in the whole week

Oh, and one morning at breakfast a woman at the table next to me was talking about "people" booking the hotel expecting "service"... and this wasn't what the hotel was about, it's about "the space". I didn't realize she worked there until I saw her later.

Pros -
1. my room had a lot of light during the day
2. I liked the 2nd floor bar
3. The bed was comfortable (but the smell up around the headboard... ewe)

OK ... that's enough! You get it.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Dear CrissCross

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. Naturally, I was most concerned to learn of the shortcomings that you experienced, for which I am very sorry. I have addressed the points that you bring to our attention with the entire team and I am have personally taken the necessary steps to ensure the is no reoccurrence. I would value the opportunity to speak in person in the hope that I may be able to restore your faith in our product. Please let me know if this would be possible.

Kind regards,

Matthew Thomas
Hotel Manager
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

Stayed in a Deluxe Corner King room, and still found it a bit small. Closet was tiny, the AC made too much noise, and there wasnt much space to put your put 2 pieces of luggage we had. On the other hand, the view was great, the decoration was nice, and the staff very helpful and always smiling. We were crammed a bit for breakfast, but I hope that this will improve once construction is over.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Standard, East Village? Share your experiences!