“Stylish Hotel - expensive but a nice treat :)” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Standard, East Village

Save Saved
You added The Standard, East Village to your Saves list
The Standard, East Village
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   25 Cooper Square, New York City, NY 10003 (Formerly Cooper Square Hotel) (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #192 of 446 hotels in New York City
Melbourne, Australia
“Stylish Hotel - expensive but a nice treat :)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

New York isnt a cheap place to stay - and we ended up spending a bit more to stay 2 nights at The Standard. Its a very trendy hotel, with stylish staff and fittings , if a little on the 'safe' side.
Our room was only on the 4th floor so I was a little dissapointed for the money we were spending we didn't get a great view over the tops of the buildings. The windows let plenty of light in , and i was slightly worried at first people could see into our room from street level.
The room was larger then originally expected, with a very comfy soft bed.
Highlight was the bathtub , amazing to enjoy after a long day :) The huge monk robes were pretty funny !
Because of construction work currently happening the hotel is offering complimentary breakfast in the penthouse - this is a massive bonus as gives you fantastic views over the whole city. Gorgeous room, nice bagels! make use of this, if it wasnt included i would think the hotel was a little over priced for what you get.
Location of the hotel is pretty good :)

Room Tip: Be brash and ask for a high room
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

506 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
  • Polish first
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

We stayed in a Corner King. The room was a bit small for the price and there was little room for luggage. We only stayed one night so it was fine. I wish the AC stayed on consistently instead of kicking on and off all night. View was nice from the 11th floor. The breakfast on the 21st floor was very nice and the view was spectacular! The staff was very nice. We were visiting our son who lives in the East Village so the location was perfect. That is what mattered most to us - finding a clean nice hotel close to his apt., so this hotel was very good for us.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Paris, France
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

I would not recommend this hotel as it is very expensive for what it is. Rooms are totally soulless and the furniture is quite ugly, couldn't actually believe anyone would find it pleasant, even the colors were not enticing, kind of dark and dull. Plus the worst thing is we had a room on the floor just below the top one (where the bar is), and when we went to bed around midnight, the noise was very strong, so we called the reception to ask if they could do anything about it or if it was always like that, and they said they would call the bar to ask them to close some windows or doors, but of course there was no effect...so really, we couldn't fall asleep until 2am or so. The only positive was the incredible view from that floor high up when we woke up in the morning, but really, not worth the cost.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Matthew T, Manager at The Standard, East Village, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Dear CharlieS80

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at The Standard, East Village. Naturally, I was most concerned to learn that you did not enjoy our room product and that you were kept awake until 2am. Whilst we continue to remodel the hotel we are working on solutions to minimize any disruption. I apologize that you were disturbed from the activity taking place in our Penthouse and I would very much value the opportunity to speak to you in person to restore your faith back in the hotel.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,

Matthew Thomas
Hotel Manager
Miami Beach, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

This probably one of the worst hotels I've stayed at.... and I've been around. I'm not going to list everything, but give you a few highlights.
1. a promise made at reservation, not honored
2. an odd smell that still makes me shudder when I think of it
3. a broken phone in the room, never fixed
4. no answer when I asked to change rooms (said they'd get back to me, but never did)
5. no turn down service .... not even once in the whole week

Oh, and one morning at breakfast a woman at the table next to me was talking about "people" booking the hotel expecting "service"... and this wasn't what the hotel was about, it's about "the space". I didn't realize she worked there until I saw her later.

Pros -
1. my room had a lot of light during the day
2. I liked the 2nd floor bar
3. The bed was comfortable (but the smell up around the headboard... ewe)

OK ... that's enough! You get it.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Dear CrissCross

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. Naturally, I was most concerned to learn of the shortcomings that you experienced, for which I am very sorry. I have addressed the points that you bring to our attention with the entire team and I am have personally taken the necessary steps to ensure the is no reoccurrence. I would value the opportunity to speak in person in the hope that I may be able to restore your faith in our product. Please let me know if this would be possible.

Kind regards,

Matthew Thomas
Hotel Manager
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

Stayed in a Deluxe Corner King room, and still found it a bit small. Closet was tiny, the AC made too much noise, and there wasnt much space to put your put 2 pieces of luggage we had. On the other hand, the view was great, the decoration was nice, and the staff very helpful and always smiling. We were crammed a bit for breakfast, but I hope that this will improve once construction is over.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Columbus, OH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

This was my second visit this summer and it was wonderful. The staff were very welcoming upon our arrival and they went out of their way to help us with anything we requested. The construction is still on-going in the lobby, but that was not a problem at all. With the construction comes free breakfast in the penthouse, which is awesome perk. The views from the penthouse are spectacular and the breakfast is good too. The rooms are small, but you just have to expect that going in. The views more than makeup for the small rooms. The location is also a huge perk. You are surrounded by great restaurants in the East Village and there are several nearby subway stops making the city very accesible. Overall a great place to stay!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

In the last 3 months I spend about 20 nights at the Standard in East Village. Yes, the rooms are small, but there are many pluses with this hotel that makes up for it:

1. Despite their small size, they have wall to wall and some floor to floor windows. Stay in a room above the 15th floor, and the view from your room beats any other in NY.
2. Rooms are smartly done, with all the minimalist amenities of a boutique hotel in the Village.
3. The staff is pretty nice and very welcoming
4. The view from the breakfast terrace is an attraction in itself. The breakfast is a rarity in NY, with very good fresh fruits, croissant, etc. It gets crowded during peak times, but still, step outside and you are floating above Manhattan.
5. The location: East Village, is as good as it gets in terms of Manhattan. The number of restaurants, varying from ultra-hip joints to soup&burger dinners, the mixture of people (very thin models, very homeless guys, very "normal" people like you and me) - this is such a contrast from the other more touristy areas of the city, all still a simple subway ride away, if you really want something from Times Square.

At the moment, the Standard is my second home, and I cannot recommend it enough.

Tips:

If you run, get off the hotel, turn right on 6th Street and go all the way. 6th ends on the east river park, where you can run all the way to brooklyn if you wish.

If you prefer a gym, they have a partnership with a big fancy gym across the road

Pretty simple to take the subway from / to the airport, if you want to save some cash. Check the MTA website, but you can take the F train from the 2nd Avenue station, change at Jay street for the A train going to JFK. About 40 minutes, instead of the 2 to 4 hours by car.

Room Tip: Rooms above the 15th floor will have views that pretty much make up for their smaller size.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Been to The Standard, East Village? Share your experiences!