“Location and comfort” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Standard, East Village

Save Saved
You added The Standard, East Village to your Saves list
The Standard, East Village
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   25 Cooper Square, New York City, NY 10003 (Formerly Cooper Square Hotel) (Manhattan)   |
Hotel deals
Announcement
Narcissa
Ranked #158 of 453 Hotels in New York City
Houston, Texas
“Location and comfort”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

Pleasant stay. "Double Double" room on the 12th floor was very small, but lovely views. Very clean, with comfortable beds, good air conditioning, extremely quiet - I did not hear any hotel noise and the only street noise was an occasional siren. The bathroom was tiny and the bath/shower combination was a bit difficult to use. Staff was very friendly and helpful. The complimentary breakfast on 21st floor was adequate, and the view spectacular (this is a special during construction). Location very convenient to Metro and the fun village neighborhoods. Nice gym (free passes).

Room Tip: The higher the better for great views.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
  • Polish first
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

The Standard set a new standard for customer service for us. We've never experienced a large hotel that did as much to make us feel welcome. First of all, they called us and then emailed to see if we needed anything prior to arrival. Sure, some places email, but who calls? We mentioned that we would be taking a red eye so we wouldn't mind an early check in. And sure enough, they had a room ready for us at 9 am when we showed up.

Then there's the treats. On many nights, we came back to our room to find treats. Often they were the exact things we stopped to pick up at a store on our way back, but who's to complain? We found bottles of the minerally house rosé from Provence, sparkling water, bowls of nuts and peaches, always accompanied by friendly notes.

The room itself was small, but well appointed. There was plenty of storage space, a very comfortable bed, a good-sized desk, a large bathroom, a TV with probably close to a thousand channels, and in our case, a wall of windows with a view of the Empire State Building. The amenities included a steady supply of ear plugs and an exceptionally good body lotion. The air conditioning was impeccable, even though it wasn't needed for much of our trip.

The rooftop breakfasts were a treat, with an amazing view, along with plenty of pastries, cereals, fruit, hard boiled eggs and Greek yogurt. The staff seemed to struggle to keep the room supplied with coffee, but again, the staff were so friendly and accommodating that they knew exactly how to handle such situations with aplomb. Seriously, everyone who works here deserves a gold star. We also were invited to enjoy an evening on the penthouse balcony, so we dropped by to hang after an amazing dinner at Mas in Greenwich Village. They had a bar open to offer drinks, but they didn't mind that we brought our own bottle of Oregon Pinot Noir. They even handed us glasses and a corkscrew, with a mention that they're here to make guests happy. Another gold star!

Now, we don't want to nitpick on a place that raises the bar so high, but they do have a weird issue with hydration. New York can get muggy, so water is essential. They don't ever have water available at breakfast, and they almost always took away our used room glasses without replacing any of them. We constantly had to call down to ask for replacement clean glasses. Sure, they arrived in less than ten minutes, but still they should have been there in the first place. The room also didn't have a place to stash our luggage. There was plenty of place to hang our clothes or put it in drawers, but nowhere to tuck our rather standard issue Samsonite hard shell luggage. We wound up hiding them behind the curtains. The room could also use a bit of a paint refresher as some of the trim was chipped. Hopefully, they will get to that when the lobby construction is finished.

Finally, a comment about the other guests: friendly, stylish, happy, and curious. Cool people to interact with, and people watch, if you are so inclined.

Will we stay here again? Yes. Will we recommend it to others? We already have.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Spent a long weekend in Manhattan last year shortly after Thanksgiving and we stayed at The Standard during the hotel's renovations and whilst I loved it my wife was left disappointed.

The renovation wasn't bothersome at all (eg no noise or dust etc.) other than the reception area being reduced in size which made it 'cosy' .

The breakfast brunch (provided free of charge in compensation of the renovations) were hosted on the penthouse floor with a very good spread of food being offered and the views were everything you would want from a hotel in the heart of NYC.

The bar area is small but cool and a great place to start a night before the onslaught of Manhattan nightlife smacks you in the face.

Fitness junkies can get their fix at the gym across the road which you receive complimentary passes to use (nice but this was enough of an excuse for me not to go)

The staff were always friendly and very attentive and helpful with a special mention going to Caroline on Concierge who was so patient with our requests which always kept changing

Even by New York standards, the room sizes here are small (and we stayed in a Deluxe Corner) and it was frustrating to try and keep the room tidy with simply not enough space to lay out items. Even the cupboards were small and had to use suitcase as a make shift drawer. Whilst our trip was never intended to be a relaxing one the hotel room is one place where you hope to catch a breather or spend some time pruning yourself in tranquility before hitting the nightlife. Oh well, you live and learn.

The location of the hotel is fantastic - great if you love walking as all the shopping in SoHo are reachable. Subway system is in close proximity and theres always a cab going past if you simply can't be bothered. Great places around too for a decent breakfast should you get bored of the views on the Penthouse floor.

All in all a very cool hotel, fantastic staff and great location but room size will annoy most. Be wary if you choose this place on your first visit to NYC as you may be disappointed but if you're an old timer then definitely check it out.

Room Tip: Try and negotiate a room rate - we booked with another couple and got the price down.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

PICTURES ARE VERY deceiving. We are currently staying at this east village hotel and I truly am NOT impressed. The room is a shoebox for a courtyard king,the bathroom has more space than one needs in a shower. They should have put more thought into design and utilize excess space from bathroom to increase room size. They do not do maid service unless you ask or leave your sign up for service. I left my sign to clean room and they never did clean it until I had to ask front desk. Paying $300 plus a night you should clean my room everyday. The view is nice from penthouse breakfast area. There is construction and it's hard to find hotel. I am a New Yorker and have lived in NYC. This area at night is not a good place to be. So many hoodlums hanging around area,it scared both my husband and I. Poor amenities as well.

Room Tip: Many better places to stay than The Standard
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

I have stayed here a few times, the first two were when it was still the Cooper Square Hotel, and honestly, I kind of miss the quirkiness. I kind of miss the library check in, with the wonderful selection of books in the rooms and the fresh fruit at turndown. Having said that, this is still a wonderful hotel, in a great location.

We visited last year when I was about 5 months pregnant, as a special before baby trip. Our first visit to the hotel was for our honeymoon, 4 years ago and we wanted to return before our baby was born as this hotel holds so many special memories for us.

Our check in was quick and the receptionist was cheerful. The bankettes were removed from the elevator and the paint inside of it was very chipped and looked like it was in need of some care.

When we entered our room, we were greeted with a fresh fruit plate and a lovely note welcoming us back, which was such a sweet touch. The room was quite good. The bed was AH-mazing, pillowtop mattress with a feather bed on top. I have never slept as well as I have on those beds. The view was amazing, we were on a high floor with amazing views of the bridge. The only real minus was the bathroom, which had fallen into a bit of disrepair with some missing tiles, soap scum and weird smell. Hopefully this has been taken care of in the renovation process.

I am looking forward to seeing how the renovations have turned out at the hotel. I do love this place and it has a special spot in my heart. I would love to return with my daughter to make more warm memories.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the bridges are great! Such a wonderful way to be greeted each morning.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

Wow! Booked a king suite corner suite during the recent renovations, I believe I paid around $400 for what is normally an $800 per night room on the 19th floor. We also got a free breakfast every morning in the penthouse on the 21st floor.

Absolutely loved the room, location, service..... Wish they would renovate again as I'm spoiled on any other room in NYC now!

Only complaint is that bed was overly soft, but then again I like an extremely firm mattress.

Room Tip: Corner suites cannot be beat if u can afford one
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

I recently stayed at the Standard East Village - generally it was OK and the staff were friendly, but there were a few issues which left me a bit underwhelmed....I was unlucky enough to find some toenails in the shower recess when I was having a shower on the first night .....they were not mine.....it was late, so too late to change rooms or have it cleaned again. The staff were apologetic and did upgrade my room and gave a bottle of wine as an apology which was gratefully received. Unfortunately I forgot to pack up my very expensive shampoo from the bathroom when I packed up my things to be moved. When I realised this, I called the front desk but the shampoo was nowhere to be found. I guess the house keepers either kept it or threw it away, which was really frustrating since I was still in the hotel and it could easily have been returned to me, and it was the fault of the careless house keeper leaving the toenails in the shower that I had to move in the first place. I wouldn't care but it was $70 worth of shampoo and conditioner. It was a lesson I would rather have not learned. The air con was great but sounded like a bus starting up in the corner of the room, and they used a quilt/duvet as a mattress making the bed rather lumpy and uncomfortable. Not sure why it needed a quilt under the bottom sheet, as well as one as an actual quilt. Location was good though, but the whole experience was not a patch on the Standard Highline which I moved to for a couple of days, which was excellent all round!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Been to The Standard, East Village? Share your experiences!