We lived in NYC for 4 years, and were back for a weekend away visiting. After living in the east village, we had seen the standard and decided on it. We were thoroughly impressed and can see the Standard being our regular hotel when back. Great service, location, clean (and importantly quiet) rooms and well priced. Only reason for 4 stars is room could be bigger.
After booking we received an email asking our arrival time and preferences. I responded thinking it would be a waste (as so many emails are) but was pleasantly surprised that our room was ready (accommodating a higher floor) and keys awaiting for our arrival, technically ahead of formal check in time.
The seamless service continued our whole stay. Efficient, friendly and no hassle. Perfect.
We asked for a higher floor (for noise purposes) and recommend it. We stayed in the Village Queen. The room had minimal street noise and a great view looking north over cooper square. We also could not hear any neighbors which was a surprise given modern hotels and paper thin walls.
The rooms are small, but finished really well, clean and comfortable. I could see it getting a little cramped for an extended stay, but for a weekend away it was fine. For anyone not familiar with NYC living you may want to opt for a larger room.
This is primarily why we chose the Standard, If you are a first timer to NYC you may be better placed in the Times Square / Midtown area, but for us NYC is downtown. It's location is perfect as walking distance to EV, LES, SOHO etc and minutes walk from the 6, N and R.
Note about renovations: The restaurant is out of commission, but the breakfast in the Penthouse more than made up for it. Delicious bagels, muffins, fruit and cereal with 360 degree floor to ceiling views of Manhattan. While room service was also unavailable (as kitchen closed) I over heard the front desk say they would plate any delivery food. A nice touch (but really, you should be eating out).
There was no other inconvenience we encountered.
- Also Known As:
- The Standard, East Village Hotel
- The Standard, East Village Hotel New York City
- Hotel Cooper Square
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Cooper Square Hotel has recently been acquired by hotelier Andre Balazs to become the 5th addition to The Standard group of hotels in New York, Los Angeles and Miami. Located on the corner of East 5th Street and Bowery, the 21 story building offers 145 spacious rooms and suites with sweeping views of Manhattan, thoughtful comforts and stellar service in one of New York’s most exciting neighborhoods. The Standard, East Village provides a more intimate, residential alternative to The Standard on the High Line, on the West Side. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Venere, Splendia, Travelocity, Tablet Hotels, Priceline, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Tingo and Jetsetter so you can book your The Standard, East Village reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.