Stayed at this hotel for 3 nights in September 2012.
We were visiting the city for the first time. Were on vacation and had a lot of things to explore. Had a wonderful time.....what a great city!
I think this room was a good value if there is such a thing in NYC. We paid $350 a night. I saw a lot of hotels for more money and was tempted to pay more for what I thought may be a better room. When you are internet surfing its hard to choose a place from a list of so many and it can get confusing, reading, sorting thru all the reviews. I just wanted a room that was clean, safe and convenient. I think this hotel meet those needs! Would stay again.
The room was quiet, did not notice noise from other rooms. Room was small but reviews from other hotels stated the same. Did not care because we did not spend a lot of time in the room. We got off to an early start and arrived back late that evening.
This hotel provided free breakfast which was good. (Included eggs, bacon, toast, cereal, etc.) It was nice to have a breakfast at the hotel and get on with our day.
We had dinner at the Italian restaurant just a few hundred feet down the street. It was called "Mercato". Small cozy place, nothing fancy but made us feel like we were locals. Food was great, prices are reasonable. I had the ravioli and it was excellent!
The subway station is only a couple blocks away.
Please use the subway, you will love it! It really is safe and convenient, very easy to navigate. If you get lost or confused just ask, people were happy to help! Only 20 minute ride to Battery Park where we took the ferry to the statue of liberty. We walked and used the subway all 3 days, it was great!
Taxi and bus travel is subject to heavy traffic and delays. We were thinking of using the greyline tour. Sounded good because they say you can hop on, hop off at all of there stops. Some reviews said this was a problem because when you want to get back on, the bus could be full. You may get passed by a few times until you find one less crowded. I think the tour bus may work best if you stay on for the duration of the tour, that way you wont lose a seat.
Also, this is a great walking city. Keep a good map and plan your walks. When you go to an attraction, see all others in the area. For example, after seeing the statue of liberty/ellis island we walked to Wall Street, took the subway to city park where we walked half way across the Brooklyn bridge. Continued walking and subway travel to the north exploring Little Italy, SOHO and the Flat Iron district.
Getting to the hotel from the airport:
We flew in to JFK and took a taxi to the hotel. About 30-40 minute ride.
It cost $45 flat fee plus toll to cross the bridge ($7) and my tip ($10). A total of $62. I can now say that I have experienced a NYC taxi. (he wasted no time getting us to our destination!)
I was debating on using one of the shuttle vans. Cost was a little less, around $40 for two, plus tip. Plus they would have made multiple stops taking a little longer to get to our hotel.
If you visit the empire state building it will cost around $25 per person. Buy your ticket in advance, (online) you will save a lot of time by not standing in line to purchase a ticket when you get there. You can bypass the ticket booth and head for the elevators.
Same for the trip to statue of liberty/ellis island. Buy your tickets in advance. Cost is $17 per person. Includes ferry ride to the statue where you can get off and walk around, then hop on the next ferry and continue to ellis island. Then back on the ferry to return to Battery Park.
If you visit the World Trade center memorial, the tickets are free. Print them out and take them with you to the visitors center. Tickets are free but are time dated so you must arrive during your time slot.
One more thing. The last day of our trip we went to Central Park. After visiting other parts of the city I did not expect too much from the park. I was wrong. I think it ranks high on my list of things to see! It was beautiful! I loved the contrast of seeing the tall city buildings while walking through the park. Also the street musicians, people watching, fountains, horse drawn carriages etc... it was great!
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express New York City Times Square Hotel New York City
- Holiday Inn Express New York City Times Square Hotel
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- New York City hotel offers location close to Times Square. Located in the middle of Manhattan, the Holiday Inn Express New York Times Square offers comfortable accommodations near New York s biggest attractions. With LaGuardia (LGA) and JFK International (JFK) both less than 15 minutes away, you'll find it easy getting to and from your destinations. Within walking distance of our Manhattan hotel, you can find a wealth of attractions. Just a block from our New York City hotel is Times Square and Broadway theatres. Other well known New York attractions such as the Empire State Building, Broadway and Central Park are within a few blocks of our hotel in Manhattan. Located near 42nd Street, our hotel is close to the main subway lines so you can get around the city easily. For the business traveler, there are many major New York business attractions located near our hotel in New York City. Major headquarters including Merrill Lynch, Legg Mason and Ernst & Young are all within walking distance of our New York City accommodations. With our convenient Manhattan location, you can make it on time to all your New York City meetings. Consider starting your day with one of our famous cinnamon rolls from the hot breakfast bar. Additionally, you can stay connected throughout your entire stay at our New York City hotel with free high-speed Internet access. Book your New York City room reservations now at our Manhattan hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, IHG, Priceline, Orbitz, Travelocity, Agoda, BookIt.com, HotelTravel.com, TripOnline SA, EasyToBook, getaroom.com, Expedia, Otel, Hotels.com and Venere so you can book your Holiday Inn Express New York City Times Square reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.