“Excellent budget hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #341 of 459 Hotels in New York City
Devon
“Excellent budget hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

Just returned from NY this morning after staying at the Marrakech. Have to admit to being a bit worried at all the negative reviews but needn't have been concerned. Yes the rooms are smallish and there is no elevator but in New York you don't really stay in the room. Bed was comfortable, room was clean as was bathroom, room was made up every day, staff were super friendly and location was great. Near the 1 train, great diners nearby, couldn't ask for better, particularly at the price. Would recommend and will definitely stay again.

Room Tip: We upgraded to the next level.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
London
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

My Husband and I stayed her for 4 nights in October. We had looked at the photos and were looking forward to staying there. Unfortunately the rooms were dirty (there was dust visible on the carpet), and the sheets did not look or smell clean. The rooms are small, dark and cold, and there isn't much space to store your clothes. (We were given a portable heater to put in our room). There isn't any wifi in the rooms or a lift. The bathroom is small and very dated, and to top it off we had a cold shower for 3 out of the four days we stayed there.

We had complained to the Manager about the lack of hot water for showers and it was obvious this was during peak usage times in the hotel. Initially the Manager accused us of lying about the lack of hot water, and eventually accepted that we would not be making this up!! We had asked for some compensation from the hotel for this and the Manager told us that he would email the agency we booked through as we did not book directly with the hotel. The Manager promised he would get back to us with some measure of compensation, however he never got back to us. On our return to the UK I emailed the hotel again and to this date I have not had a response or any compensation. The customer service for this hotel is very poor and I would highly recommend that other travellers consider other hotels rather than wasting their money on staying here if they are looking for a good hotel for a holiday.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Harrogate, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

I'm not sure what people are expecting when they pay budget rates in New York. It is not Malmaison, it does not have room service, a bar or restaurant but it does exactly what is says on the label. We ended up staying here for 9 nights as we got caught in Hurricane Sandy. The staff were great. Friendly,helpful and worked really hard sorting people out who had either had flights back cancelled like us or who were looking for a hotel when the power went out in lower Manhattan. Our room (44 I think) was fine, large enough and yes small bathroom but we are not in NYC to waste money on a hotel! Great area. Two blocks over to the West and you are in the parks running alongside the Hudson. 10 minutes to the East and you are in Central Park. Walk North and you get to Columbia Uni and further over Harlem. Quick tip - don't go shopping in Fifth Avenue - go up to 124th street In Harlem. Loads of great shops at much lower prices. As many have said it is right next to the subway - Starbucks downstairs for morning coffee - down Broadway try the Metro Diner for Breakfast. "Smoke" nearby is a great Jazz bar and the "Dive bar on Broadway was a personal favourite. Don't miss the Hungarian Coffee Shop - I think it was on Amsterdam but the guide books will tell you. Some lovely shops, bars, restaurants around (Check out Prohibition). If you want room service, are planning on spending a long time in your hotel or want all that large hotels or up market boutique hotels offer then this is not for you. If you just want somewhere to lay your head for the night that's clean (and has the rooms cleaned every day) because you are going to spend every waking hour out in the city then the Marrakesh is a good budget option.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reading Uk
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

My friend and I recently stayed at this "hotel" for six nights . The location of the place is the only good thing about it. On arrival as soon as I saw the entrance my heart sank, it looked so bad....but after I climbed up the endless stairs and saw our "deluxe" room, I almost cried, it looked like one of those hostels you see in films where you will be lucky to survive a whole night. The noise of the pipes and water system its so loud that I thought my friend sharing the room with me had decided to have a shower at 3 am, but no, she wasn't, everytime anyone in their rooms flush the toilet or wash their hands or had a shower it was like it was happening in the middle of our room!.
There were chunks of the wall, stains on the carpet and a roaches in the bathroom!
The staff were quite inmature, chatting to each other all the time instead of helping customers. I loved the time we had in New York, and if I am completely honest it was quite amusing to come back every night to that dive and find more things wrong with it, the only thing I didn't find funny was the price.....it should be priced as a very low quality hostel.....

Ana

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Columbia, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Double caution - I booked two rooms through get-a-room.com (where I had previously had a good experience) and told them that I needed one room with a walk out shower for my 85 year old mother who was traveling with us. She is not handicapped or in a wheel chair, just can't maneuver in and out of a bath tub. They do have rooms with a walk out shower, but you would think that either Marrakech or get-a-room could have told me that not only does the hotel not have an elevator, but you need to climb two long flight of stairs just to get to the lobby to check in! And, the day we checked in, one of those rooms wasn't available on the lobby level so it would have meant even more stairs! Rather than just trying to sell rooms, one or the other should have cared enough to actually listen to the client's needs. Not acceptable.

I agree with the traveler who characterized this as an upgraded hostel - small rooms (some REALLY small and dark/cave-like), noisy halls, no amenities, etc. A couple of positive notes: I found the rooms clean enough, but the highest marks go to the staff - professional, polite - bell staff in particular could not have been more helpful. Too bad whoever took the call from get-a-room originally couldn't have mentioned that an 85 year old woman may have some issues with their many flights of steps.

I made the mistake of not reading Tripadvisor in advance - that won't happen again!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Tel Aviv, Israel
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

If you are looking for a real hotel then this is not the place, But if you agree to settle upgraded hostel then you will find it here. The rooms are small, one person is fine but for two persons the room has not enough space. I do not understand the part of the hotel with dim lighting, why you can not put a strong lamp? The bathroom looked used too much (bring slippers), And hear everything that happens in the hallway (bring earplugs). Like I said it's closer to a hostel than a hotel. For a relatively cheap price and location it's reasonable price I was willing to pay. Have to commend the staff that functions well and are polite and helpful in every direction and orientation in the city.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Voecklabruck, Austria
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

This is a nice hotel for 2-5 days in NYC!

We had a stay in NYC for sightseeing before to go to our University in Potsdam, NY and it was really a good place to stay.

+ Good location, clean, good service, cheap

-No elevator, AC very loud and slow WiFi

All in all it is a nice hotel for a reasonable price!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Marrakech Hotel on Broadway? Share your experiences!