“3 nights” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #341 of 449 hotels in New York City
London, United Kingdom
“3 nights”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

I stayed in the Marrakech for a few nights in March in order to sit an exam as I am not from the US.
When I booked the Marrakech I did not realise the lengths the hotel would go to in order to recreate an authentic third world experience.
I was staying in a double queen room with a friend. Upon entering the room we immediately started fighting as to which bed we got-the one with the flat mattress or the one with the stained pillows. After much fighting I was eventually triumphant and received the bed with the flat mattress. After my second night in this bed I actually complained to the person at the reception as a spring in the mattress came through and pierced me in the leg. I was told vaguely that someone would do something about it and everything would be sorted by the time I returned. As it happens I did not return until late as I was at a show. Upon entering the room, mon dieu quelle surprise nothing was done. Again I said it to reception and this time I was told nothing could be done about the mattress as it was so late. that night I tried not to turn in the bed for fear that a spring would come loose and pierce me again.
The en suite was small but I am not one looking for massive space, just a clean one. As I was on holiday, so it seems in this hotel was hygiene. The en suite window faced out to another window of the building beside us. The towels were never replaced and each day we had to ask for new towels or just clean ones. The toilet was not cleaned at all when we arrived and the shower had 2 settings-freezing and third degree burns.
Never one to be the pessimist I bravely soldiered on and spent as little time in this over rated mess. I have stayed in hotels all around the world as part of business and leisure and I can honestly say barring an unpleasant room in a St Petersburg hostel, this was by far the worst place I have ever stayed. The thing that really bugged me was the fact that hotel prices were being charged for what is basically a hostel.

Room Tip: If you want a good room here, bring a sleeping bag and try the bins out back.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
MarrakechHotel, General Manager at Marrakech Hotel on Broadway, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Thank you for your comments. I would like to report, since your stay in March, the hotel has replaced many of the beds, replaced all the pillows and linens in the room and in the process of upgrading the lighting and furniture in the room. I apologize that you were not completely satisfied during your stay in March, however want you to know we have changed and going forward, you and other guests will enjoy the new beds, linens, pillows and other items recently upgraded in the hotel rooms.

1,054 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Calgary
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

My wife and I stayed here mainly based on price as it was half the cost of other NYC hotels. The location is actually very good as it is right across the street from the #1 Subway stop (103 St). This will get you to Time Square in about 10 minutes. Starbucks is right below the hotel, a Subway sandwich place is across the street. Ben and Jerry's ice cream is a block away as are Mcdonalds, drugs stores, and a 24 hr grocery store.
The hotel is old and has no elevators, and it seemed that many travelling students stay here. The lobby is nice and has free, but slow wi fi. I usually just used the wifi at Starbucks. There are 2 computers one can use for a small fee. The room was quiet and clean, and had an updated private bathroom with a small tub and shower. There was a new TV, A/C, hairdryer, and telephone(free local or calling card calls). The staff was friendly, and I would definately stay here again. We came to New York to see the City, not hang out in the room, so why pay twice as much just to sleep?

The hallways and stairways are dark and old looking, but the room was quite good.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your positive feedback. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and look forward to having you as our guest again in the future.

Keith Acker
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

This hotel was a Godsend after a bad experience with another hotel that we booked out of after one night. It's a lovely, friendly little hotel right next to 103 Street subway station. Really friendly and helpful staff (especially Marianna on reception). Clean, nice rooms with TV, aircon, hairdryer etc. If you want a reasonably priced little hotel right on Broadway, this is the place for you. It's about ten minutes on the Subway to central NYC and plenty of eating places nearby.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Bega, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

This hotel felt grubby but we let that go. Saying that they had WiFi was just plain wrong, you had to go to Starbucks to get online, which was a pain. The worst thing though was that four days after checking out and finalising our account, they charged my credit card another $500+ dollars! It took me contacting my card company to get them to refund it. I was very unimpressed with that and felt that either the hotel or one of their staff was trying to rip me off.
I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

All that can positively be said is this: it's cheap! Which, for NYC, is tough to find when it comes to accommodations. It's run down, smells a bit, has small rooms, hard as rock beds, crunchy towels, in window aircon (oh the spores!), no bar, etc. - recall your youth and the hostels you might have frequented. There ya go!

Ps staff were as helpful as could be in this type of environment...Starbucks next door a real life saver!!!

Room Tip: Choose one close to front desk so your wifi will work in your room!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
sandy_v5
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

We booked this hotel via a 3rd party website and of all the hotels we booked for our stay, this was the most expensive. We had hoped that based on how much it cost it should be fairly nice but I think everything is expensive in NY.

The hotel does not have lifts so as soon as you arrive you need to carry your luggage up one set of steep stairs almost to the second floor (40 steps approx), this was not easy and if you’re an elderly person be careful and bring luggage that’s light and easy to manoeuvre. And remember, you will have to carry it back down when you leave!

The hotel lobby is the main feature of the hotel with fountains and throw cushions and lovely Moroccan feel but because of the design it’s not comfortable to sit around and waste the day as it’s quite narrow and busy with people coming in and out. Most people sit here all times of the day to get access to the hotel wi fi which can’t be accessed from your room. The hotel does provide internet access but it’s not cheap. Hotel corridors were not well maintained with carpet badly patched together and stairs very creeky.

The room itself was quite small; we had a small table and extremely small toilet and shower and dark carpets and furniture for the Mediterranean feel, with the added silk material curtains to add to the exotic. The room was clean enough but I think there was much reliance on the dark carpet and dark lighting hiding any number of sins. No mini bar/fridge or breakfast.

Our room overlooked a wall and the air-conditioning was extremely noisy and because of the age of the building you can hear the creaking floor boards when anyone moves around in the corridor or above you. Also beware, cleaners start cleaning rooms at about 8am and hovering the hallways which if you’re expecting a lie in, be careful.

Our room was cleaned most days, toiletries were not replenished and on our last day they left the sheets on our bed so that we had to make the bed ourselves. The bed was comfortable and from making the bed ourselves the bedding looked pretty clean too. Although there were random hairs on the towls a couple of times.

The staff were friendly enough but if I return to New York again I would try to stay more centrally as this hotel was about 50 blocks (5miles approx) from the central area which is not walk able. The metro is really close to the hotel and connects you easily down town.

Room Tip: get a pay as you go metro card as trips work out cheaper when travelling downtown.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Whitby
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

We stayed at the Marrakech Hotel from July 21st - 25th, and enjoyed or stay there.

The hotel itself has an nice updated look (reception/lounge/lobby),
and rooms were equally appointed. We had a room (with a queen bed),
was compact in size, but the important things (cleanliness, air conditioning etc)
were very good.

For those considering renting: only real negative is the walk up required from
to lobby from street level (no elevators). Main positives are location (quieter UWS),
#1 Line subway location almost right outside the hotel entrance and the friendly staff.

For those on a budget, the M60 Bus route from LaGuardia to the UWS
ends 3 blocks north (106th Street) of the Marrakech, per person fare is $2.25.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Marrakech Hotel on Broadway? Share your experiences!