“Loved Our Stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Marrakech Hotel on Broadway

You added Marrakech Hotel on Broadway to your Saves list
Marrakech Hotel on Broadway
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2688 Broadway, New York City, NY 10025 (Upper West Side)   |
Ranked #348 of 463 Hotels in New York City
New Zealand
“Loved Our Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2008

From New Zealand 21st Dec- 2nd Jan
My friend and I arrived 12.45 am in the middle of the night,

OK first impression was OOH my Gosh what have we done , It was the steep stairway leading from the front entrance into the foyer that prompted our unfavourable first impression.
How ever after a restfull nites sleep we got over ourselves.
The staff were helpful and very friendly, the room was small and yes rather hot but very clean, The location was excellent with the subway just a few metres away, starbucks on one side and the 99c shop on the other It was just so convinient.
We were more than happy with our stay We'd do it again in a minute.
Actually what made our stay more enjoyable were the lovely front desk staff and the Young gentlemen on security who were very friendly ,OOH and the cleaning staff.

• Liked — The friendly atmosphere and Location
  • Disliked — The steep stairway entrance
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
MarrakechHotel, General Manager at Marrakech Hotel on Broadway, responded to this review, February 19, 2008
Thank you for your positive feedback. We appreciate hearing about our guest experience at the Marrakech Hotel and pride ourselves on our exceptional customer service. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2008

My stay at this hotel was in early October of 2007.

I did report this to top staff--Front Office Manager and Hotel Manager. I discussed the issue with them in their back office. I showed them the bug bites on my body and explained that I had actually seen a bug in the bed, however, didn't realize that it was a bed bug. Also, I did not start suffering from the bites until a few days later. I was due to stay for 2 weeks, total.They offered me a glass of wine and moved me to another room. I ended up checking-out early as I could not rest. I was always in fear that I was being bitten again, and the itching was absolutely horrible!

The bed was not very comfortable, but satisfactory. Also, there is a long flight of steps from the street to the hotel lobby--be prepared. The Front Desk staff are not very friendly.

This by far, was the most humiliating and disgusting hotel stay I've ever experienced. I wish I had read this Web site beforehand.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — bed bugs
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Nacogdoches, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2008

The hotel is average. Don't expect too much, because it is a fairly cheap hotel for Manhattan!
The room was small but clean. We had a little trouble with the shower: It was either screaming hot or ice cold. With a little bit of patience, though, we were able to shower without burning or freezing. The heater was also a little hot, especially at night.
I did not see bed bugs. Even if I would have seen them, the staff at the hotel would have probably moved us to another room. The staff is very nice. They make you feel welcome and help with luggage.
The hotel is located close to a subway station and also very close to Central Park ( a five minute walk). Downstairs is a Star bucks.
Don't get scared by the other reviews! I did and it was totally unnecessary. I would stay there again!

• Liked — It was located at a great place.
  • Disliked — The water and heat problem.
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Thank you for your positive feedback. At the Marrakech Hotel NYC we pride ourselved on our Customer Service and Cleanliness of our rooms. We enjoy reading positive feedback as we feel travelers need to see both positive and negative when planing their trip. We look forward to hosting your lodging needs again during future travel to New York City.
Philadelphia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2008

Having spent my previous birthday in Marrakesh, Morocco I decided to recapture the feeling by staying in a similarly named hotel for my birthday weekend this year. I was thoroughly satisfied with the experience.

The lounge was beautifully, elegant and definitely taken from a scene in acutal Marrkakesh. The sight of it transported me back in time. The doorman was cordial, the front desk staff was prompt and friendly. I had no problems at all and they tended to my requests in a wonderful fashion.

The room itself was a tad small and clean, but that's how it is in NYC. There was a flatscreen tv with cable, free internet, the bathroom was very clean, but again small. The authentic Morrocan furnishings were sparse, but the wall colors and painting nearly replicated a place we stayed in Casablanca. It was a great birthday treat! I'd stay again and recommend it to others.

• Liked — The lounge area
  • Disliked — The darkened hallways, the hallway bathrooms.
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Thank you for your comments. The Staff and Management of the Marrakech Hotel wishes you a HAPPY BIRTHDAY and hopes to see you next year on your next birthday.
Alexandria, VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2008

Jan 4 - Jan 6 2008.

No bed bugs seen or felt during our stay. Room was quite clean and maid service occurred during the day. Very convenient location on the Upper West Side, merely steps away from the subway station.

Can confirm the other stories about the radiator being extremely hot. Our room was easily over 100 degrees when we checked in. Thankfully, the unit has a valve that allows it to be turned off and there is a window air conditioning unit that can be used to lower the temperature. The unit was loud while operating and made a somewhat annoying crackling noise.

Another issue was external noise. Walls were apparently very thin and loud neighbors didn't help.

Would NOT recommend to a family or to older adults looking for a quiet stay. Hotel was sufficient for a young person or a young couple more interested in the city than their hotel room.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
MarrakechHotel, General Manager at Marrakech Hotel on Broadway, responded to this review, February 20, 2008
The Marrakech Hotel NYC is a historic building originally built in 1911. The room is heated via City Steam Heat and is usually kept warm as many guests request a room at warmer temperatures. While some guests do like a cooler room, every room has a climate control unit to help lower the temperature. At the Marrakech we strive to make our guest feel comfortable.
Sheffield (England)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2008

Should have been staying in this hotel a week could not wait to leave only stayed 3 nights, Beds were not clean, Rooms untidy and small, No hot water, Shower did not work. Also all rooms had Bed bugs also other Bugs around hotel.

DO NOT STAY HERE. HOTEL FROM HELL

• Liked — Nothing it was horrible
  • Disliked — Bed bugs abd the rooms
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
We apologize that we could not satisfy the needs of this traveler. We continue to improve the quality of our guestrooms so guest to not have issues with the quality of the rooms. If a guest is unsatisfied with their room during a stay, the staff and management will do whatever is needed to correct the situation during the guest stay.

As of the beginning of 2008, the hotel has brought in a new extermination company who specializes in the treatment and prevention of Bed Bugs. Some of the actions taken have included an intense treatment of ALL rooms in the hotel, new beds, carpeting, pillows and other furnishings in a majority of the guestrooms. This intense treatment has proven to be successful in eliminating the infrequent occurrences of Bed Bugs and the preventative program that is in place will help prevent the problem from reoccurring at the hotel.
San Diego
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2008

I would never recommend this hotel to anyone. My friend and I stayed in a 4 person dorm room and became infested with bed bugs. It has been a nightmare trying to get rid of the spots.

I was quite impressed with the lobby area - which is very pretty. It is a shame they can't pay a little more attention to the actual rooms.

Also, the bathroom on my floor was out of action, so there was always a long line for the bathroom in the mornings.

• Liked — The other guests
  • Disliked — Bed Bugs Everywhere
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
MarrakechHotel, General Manager at Marrakech Hotel on Broadway, responded to this review, February 18, 2008
As of late January 2008, the hotel has eliminated these dorm rooms from the inventory as well as completely remodeled these rooms including new furnishings, carpeting. All this as well as an improved extermination program has been successful in eliminating the Bed Bug problem.

Been to Marrakech Hotel on Broadway? Share your experiences!