“Stay here, don't think twice” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Up to 25% off, Book Today
Ranked #102 of 458 Hotels in New York City
Toronto
“Stay here, don't think twice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

I just returned from NYC and stayed at the fabulous Morgans Hotel located on Madison and 37th. First off, let me tell you that the staff working here are super nice and not snotty. They are genuine from the concierge at the front desk to the doorman. I even met the lovely hotel manager, Ms. Rigas and we had a lovely chat.

First off, I arrived on a Thursday 1 pm and was in a panic because I had a restaurant reservation at 1:15 at Nougatine, the famous restaurant at Trump. I literally dropped off my bag with the front desk and Tom (the guy at the front), immediately took my things, checked me in and had the doorman call me a cab. All done in less than 5 mins. Wow, that was VIP service. The bellboy hailed me a cab in no time. And traffic was awful that because Obama was in town but my taxi driver was super nice and efficient. I literally got to the restaurant on time and they held my table for me. If the lobby had a long check-in lineup, I would have missed my reservation. But luckily, this is a boutique hotel, not the Sheraton where you are waiting forever.

I stayed in room 808, it had a lovely sofa against the window and I saw a lovely garden with flowers, I assume it's somebody's apartment. And the sun came right into my room in the morning, it was nice to sit there and read.

What I loved is my room - it's big, the wifi is super quick (you only need to login once), the remote control works very well for the TV and they have great channels. The bed is super comfy with thick, fluffy pillows, not old ones.

The living room right above the RESERVE breakfast restaurant - this is awesome, they have tea coffee, and hot cold water plus the best selection of magazines for your enjoyment. After a long day, I sat there for 30 minutes and had a nice cup of tea and relaxed on the sofas. This is way better than the horrible coffee makers you usually get in other hotel rooms and the water you boil for your tea tastes like coffee. I can tell you that many people used that area and loved it (they had to find the staff to fill up the hot water).

The breakfast - it's so nice to look at the huge mountain of croissant, pain au chocolat and donuts. Also available are greek yogurt, juices, fruits salad bowl, cereal, diff types of bread and other wonderful goodies. They never ran out of food, it was constantly replenished. It's a huge stack of food right in front of you, so pretty to look at that you don't want to eat it. I should have taken a photo as a souvenir. And it's free and included in the room price - when you think of it, hotels charge $25 - $30 easily for breakfast so this is a big saving. The coffee is strong and wonderful to enjoy in the morning. And, they have copies of the New York Times, magazines (Timeout) and maps for you to enjoy. The staff is always friendly and accommodating.

I received a box of Leonidas chocolates & a note, what a treat to receive my favourite brand of Belgium chocolates. In this economy, what hotel can afford to give away freebies. Hotels had to cut back over the years like removing the bowl of apples or not offering newspapers.

The hotel held on to all my purchases 'til my arrival. I was embarrassed for doing so much online shopping before the trip but shipping within the US is so cheap versus Canada Post. And I called to ask if it was OK first.

The bath products are the high end Malin & Goetz. Wow, plus the cleaning lady kept replenishing my room even if I still had products in the shower. Another important part are the lamps by the bedside, they are excellent for reading at night, bright enough and you can move them around if you want to put more things on the bedside table. The bed sheets are 1000 count Egyptian thread, it's so thick and soft, high end quality. My room was vacuumed every day.

If you need things printed like your boarding pass, the front desk will be happy to do it for you. I forgot my slippers and they gave me a pair.

I found the hotel to be very quiet, not loud noise at all, and I will definitely return here.

Downside: there's no business centre if I am not mistaken. So if you don't have your laptop and need to surf the web, you should bring your device. As for printing paper, you can simply email the front desk and they'll be happy to help you. This is a green hotel and they encourage you to reuse your towels. It's a bit dark in the elevator to see the numbers but it's not big deal. The shelf space in the bathroom is on top of the sink, a bit high for me and you have to be careful not to drop makeup in the sink, like I did. But the desk is quite big so I used it to put other things.

The subway lines are a 5-8 minutes walk, very convenient. There's also a post office on 34th between Lex and Park, which I used twice.

This is the second time I am staying at a Morgans property and they are really top notch.

Thanks again to the staff for making my stay so enjoyable. In NYC, you get what you pay for.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Rigas, General Manager at Morgans New York Hotel, responded to this review, May 21, 2014
Now that is quite an endorsement! Your review is so thorough and it really made my day to read it. Thank you for really describing in great detail what it is like to stay at Morgans. It is true that our guests enjoy the Living Room as it gives them an opportunity to sit and relax after a busy day in the 'city that never sleeps'!

Hope to see you again!

DR

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

I stayed here in May 2014 for a work conference. I booked online and wasn't sure how the hotel would be. It was a very pleasant surprise. The hotel is very nice with modern decor. My room was very clean and had everything I needed. The staff was very friendly and accomodating. During regular hours someone always greeted you and opened doors. I checked out early and was able to check my bag and keep until my conference was over. I would highly recommend the Morgans!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Rigas, General Manager at Morgans New York Hotel, responded to this review, May 19, 2014
How nice that you were pleasantly surprised by Morgans! Thank you for your kind review. To be recommended by someone who has stayed here is by far the best compliment we can ask for.

Hope to see you again soon!

Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

We selected this hotel for a quick weekend trip full of plans to visit all of our favorite New York spots. The check-in process was smooth overall. Since we arrived early, we were able to store our luggage until our room was available around 3pm. The room itself was adequately sized for New York City, modernly appointed, and generally well laid out. Free wireless internet was available in the room and we didn't have any issues accessing it during our visit. In addition, this hotel has an exceptionally good location within walking distance of key attractions and has the added bonus of being near to the subway.

Breakfast was included with our room rate and it was served in a lovely lounge setting with vaulted ceilings. Breakfast offerings were typical European style options. While the food was of very good quality, the best part for us was that breakfast was served fairly late into the morning. In addition, the hotel offered coffee and tea service in that same lounge, which was available for most of the day. The relaxed environment of the hotel lounge was a real treat, with newspapers and other reading materials available to hotel guests inclined to linger.

Overall, we had probably our best stay in a New York hotel yet. We would definitely stay here again and without hesitation would recommend it to others.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Wow! Reading that makes me want to stay myself! I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay at Morgans. The Lounge is indeed a nice addition and our guests enjoy having a place to relax with no one bothering them.

Thank you for your review and I do hope to see you again soon!

Kind regards,

Alexandria, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

This small lovely little hotel is simple, clean, quiet and in a terrific location for visiting NYC. It has a gym--rare for a boutique in NYC. Beautiful, discreet biulding and simple lobby next door to a grocery and across the street from wonderful little Piccolo restaurant and in the same block as a Monstruck (upscale diner) 15 min walk from Times Square but convenient to getting downtown also. Nice to be outnof the bustle and hustle of Times Square. Next to the Pierpont Morgan Library. Has a nice enough little bar with couches where breakfast is served (go to Piccolo or Moonstruck for better fare and atmosphere). The price point on this hotel is good @ $300 range.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Rigas, General Manager at Morgans New York Hotel, responded to this review, May 12, 2014
Than you so very much! It makes me very happy that you tried our new Lounge. It is a great place to sit, relax and have a drink. We opened last month and are receiving positive feedback from our guests! Thank you for pointing out all the venues nearby. Yes, it feels more of a 'neighborhood' here than does 42nd Street and yet one can easily walk there! Hope to see you again!

Horsham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

We returned this morning from a 6 day trip to New York and our first trip to the USA.
So good was our stay that I have been prompted for the first time ever to share my views with an audience wider than my long suffering friends and relations....
I read all the other reviews on Trip Advisor for Morgan's and chose this hotel because of the location, the décor and attention to detail and the breakfast! Takes the pressure off if you're first time visitors anywhere.
Okay. Here goes.
The staff are wonderful, from reception, to breakfast to the chaps you meet in the lift who I presume work behind the scenes. All lovely, friendly, helpful.
Special mention to Todd who was fab. Apologies for all the names I have forgotten but, everyone we met could not be faulted.
Our room was 1103, facing the street and with a 'crane your neck view' of the Empire State! Go up the Empire State and you can see the hotel, very exciting!
Clean, spacious, restful décor, lovely beds and that 300+ thread count bed linen which I coveted no end. Malin + Goetz toiletries were as lovely as people have said in other reviews (I'm writing this but, my partner just laughed at the mention of toiletries!)
Breakfast was great. Bagels, scone, muffins, doughnuts and Danish pastries. Fresh fruit salads, yoghurts and cereals plus fruit juice, coffee and tea. Everything fresh and delicious.
We had early starts every day so the 7am breakfast suited us fine.
Newly refurbished lounge area is a relaxing place to sit and eat breakfast or indulge in an evening drink before bed and that LOVELY bed!
I'd be back tomorrow if I could and will stay here again on any return trip.
If you stay in here my recommendations for good places to eat within easy walking distance:

2nd Avenue Deli, 162 East 33rd Street - Matzo Ball Soup and the corned beef or pastrami sandwiches all delicious (and without the cattle market atmosphere that is Katz)
Wild Edibles, 535 3rd Ave - lovely seafood and some locally brewed beers to wash it down with.
Junior's New York Cheesecake (yes we had some and managed to leave without having a coronary episode)
The Ginger Man, 11 East 36th St - beer, beer and more beer more than we have ever seen in an English Pub. English people may appreciate that (but, avoid the sour beers)
Zucker's Bagels, 370 Lexington. Cream Cheese, Lox, Onions and capers on a bagel. Yummy and a struggle to finish but I persevered.

ENJOY!

Room Tip: Room 1103 - with a view of the Empire State (if you stand on your head and can adopt a very complex...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Rigas, General Manager at Morgans New York Hotel, responded to this review, May 8, 2014
Well I think your review is 'lovely, lovely, lovely'! For someone who does not write reviews you are quite good at it! You did a very thorough job of mentioning many details and also went the extra mile by featuring some great places to try! Thank you very much indeed - keep on reviewing - you are good at it!

Bethesda, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

It's really a shame that as a general manager instead of apologizing up and down for such a cruddy and gross incident you feel more compelled to site language of dinosaurs and nonsense. My wife was kind enough not to post a photo of the gross critter. Lucky for it was not crawling on our head, but close enough to it. Our incredible photo of the roach will make its way over to you, your company and your management along with a copy of your response to us shortly. Being a manager is one of those things where you just chalk it up to the client being right. I'm not trying to be right here, just saying your great hotels has gross critters...the size an adult human's palm.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Well you may be right - I may have gotten a bit cocky in my response to you and I am sorry for that. I will say however that our hotel is clean and does not have any type of insect related issue. You would have read a lot more reviews of this nature if that was the case. I am sorry if I offended you with my response.

Lincoln, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

Just returned from our first visit to New York,Morgans hotel was very good, quick check in John the night porter was very helpful. We booked a 1 bedroom suite and was given a suite with a lounge, small kitchen and a large bedroom but the best thing and a complete shock was the 2 balconies, it had fabulous views of the Empire State Building. Continental breakfast was a great time saver (fresh fruit, yoghurts, cereals, toast and various cakes and croissants) We had a great time and we would highly recommend Morgans hotel ,it's away from all the hustle of time square but within walking distance of all the main attractions.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Rigas, General Manager at Morgans New York Hotel, responded to this review, May 7, 2014
Thank you so much for your kind review! I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and am grateful that you mention the variety we offer for breakfast.

This is truly a 'fab' review and hope you will come back and stay with us in the future!

John is a great addition to our staff!

DR

Been to Morgans New York Hotel? Share your experiences!