“NYC Classic still my number one” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
PLAN AHEAD
Ranked #81 of 452 hotels in New York City
Los Angeles
“NYC Classic still my number one”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Scenario: Blizzard in NY and need to get to three appointments in one day. The Morgan was perfect in regards to location, staff, service and style. The front desk is effortless and professional whereby booking another night was a breeze and kept the same rate. The rest of the staff is friendly and courteous. The Hotel is quiet and peaceful and my standard room was perfect in that it had aire of calmness and tranquility in its grey hues. On a high floor I had large amount of natural light and the room was spotless. The bar is being renovated but the penthouse was opened for breakfast and evening a drink which is sublime with patios and view of the city. The Morgan is a classic and hope never changes.

Room Tip: The Higher the Better
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Rigas, General Manager at Morgans New York Hotel, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind review - it is truly appreciated. We have not had a proper snowstorm for a couple of years. We are always prepared for anything in New York! Thankfully, it warmed up and most of the snow melted by the beginning of the week.

I am so happy that you consider us a 'classic'. We are very proud of the fact that we led the way for the boutique hotel industry!

I hope you will return to try the new Lounge!

1,199 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

This was our second stay at Morgan's and it was every bit as good as the first. Now that the lobby is again the reception area, there are helpful staff members to answer questions and help with the heavy exterior doors. Our room was to the back as before, and quieter than ever. The room is well-appointed and we upgraded to the next larger size room for more space. The bed is comfortable and housekeeping is very quiet in the morning. The breakfast is delightful and we are so glad they turned off CNN to better appreciate the ambiance. This won't be our last stay at Morgan's. It's our new go-to hotel in NYC.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Rigas, General Manager at Morgans New York Hotel, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Hello there! I remember an old hair dye commercial that said 'You're not getting older, you're getting better"! Love that!

Thank you so much for your kind review. We will get even better in a couple of months when the Lounge opens. It will be within a large space with lots of cozy areas to sit and sip! Also, the Guest Living Room will be on the second level of the Lounge where you can relax all day without anyone bothering you.

I hope you will return for a third visit to see it all!

Kindest regards,

Charleston, S.C.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Where to begin??? On the positive end, the hotels is in a great location,most of the staff were very personable and friendly.
Negatives...we found the beds/ pillows to be uncomfortable/ and the quality of the linens used not very good... we asked 3 days in a row to have the clock in our room, that didn't work, to be replaced/changed...we finally brought it to the front desk ourselves...we had an issue with incorrect credit card charges that we are still dealing with (i.e.we had overcharges on our cards and refunds put on credit card that was not ours),we got locked out of our room on New Years Eve...when we went to the front desk to have the room key cards reset there was no apology or "sorry for the mistake" from the woman on duty...
also, the hotel general manager was never there or available during our stay...would not return or recommend this hotel

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for writing - it is important that we know what went wrong as well as what went right.

I would like to address your issues -

Our bedding is top of the line. I am sorry but I cannot apologize for this. We spend a lot of money on high thread count products. We were the first hotel to use non-commercial bedding and lead the way for the industry.

I am so sorry about the clock. I have checked with everyone and no one recalls this issue. It does not mean that it did not happen. It would have been an easy fix for us - replace the clock! I am sorry this was not addressed during your stay.

The beauty of a small hotel is that we actually recall our guest interactions - yes, something went wrong with your lock. And yes, Kristen said 'I'm sorry'. The reason I know this is because you were overheard by several staff members walking away saying 'They can't even apologize'. Kristen did in fact apologize. I am sorry that you were locked out but I cannot accept your claim that our staff did not apologize.

Finally, I am here all the time except when I am on vacation. I am easily accessible and guests often visit my office. I left a message for you in your room and then tried to reach out to you via e-mail on January 25th and have not received a response yet. This was my e-mail to you -

Dear Mr. --- (I have blanked this out because I assume you would like to remain anonymous)
Many thanks for filling out our survey.

I would call you if I had a voice - temperatures below 20 have left me with two days of laryngitis!

I understand that you have a problem with your bill. Please give me the details so that I can look into this. I am very sorry about this.

DR

There were complications with your billing but I am not sure this was due to hotel related issues. I know you wanted to pick up the tab for someone but then there was confusion around this. As you know, we are still trying to resolve this.

Finally, to our guests out there, we make mistakes. We are not perfect. We will try to make up for any issues. Thankfully, most guests have great stays but that is not always the case here or in any hotel around the world!
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

I stayed at the Morgans a few years ago and kept a very good souvenir of this hotel. More recently, we stayed 5 days in New York. at the Morgans to attend an opera, discover new areas of New York, rediscover old ones and do some shopping.

This hotel is very central and we could walk to all our points of interest. Rooms are clean and very comfortable. Breakfast is excellent and the view from the penthouse where the breakfast area has been relocated during renovations is most interesting. Above all, what we appreciated the most is the service from the staff, particularly to help us find the best bus/metro or routes to get to our destinations.

Every time I was in the lobby, I had the opportunity to exchange with one of the staff members. Some of them did speak French.

I also appreciated the valet service for the car (we did not use it for 5 days). When we checked out, the car was there, waiting for us. Great service !

Room Tip: We had two rooms with twin beds and both were quiet. Beds are a little small and next time (next Apr...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Rigas, General Manager at Morgans New York Hotel, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Merci - vous et tres gentile. Je suis une 'Francophile'! I certainly hope that I've spelled that correctly!

Thank you so much for your kind review. I love the reference to 'petit bijou'; a small jewel, which is a wonderful description which sounds so lovely in French!

We hope you will come again to see the new Lounge / Living Room and Gym.

Bien Cordialement!

Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

I'm a New Yorker currently living abroad. My husband and I were back to NYC for a visit and stayed at the Morgans. We couldn't be more pleased. Charming staff, clean modern rooms in good taste, and a lovely breakfast in the penthouse with a view of the Empire State Building included in the price.

Well located just a few blocks from Grand Central and Herald Square, the hotel is convenient to transportation but not annoying in the craziness of Times Square. More personal than a big chain with free wifi, free fruit, coffee, tea etc.

I highly recommend it. Ask for a room in the back which are super quiet away from the street. The superior rooms are more spacious than the standard room and worth the extra price.

• Stayed February 2013
Thank you so much! Well, a bit of good news is that we have invested a lot of money in windows for the front of the property and boy do they make a difference. I was up on the fifth floor in a room with the sample windows in the middle of the day and in spite of the buses, trucks and traffic going by, I could not hear a thing! Naturally, Madison Avenue is quieter than most at night and that combined with the new windows will ensure a quiet night's sleep!

Please come back soon!

CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Having lost power in CT, I arrived in NY way ahead of schedule for the opening night of an art show. The staff welcomed me and arranged for me to wait in the Penthouse while they found me an available room. Within the hour I was in my room. During the stay the staff was extremely helpful with dinner suggestions. I was always addressed by name each time I entered the lobby and was made to feel like a valued client. Always a treat to get a reservation at this boutique hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Rigas, General Manager at Morgans New York Hotel, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
I am so sorry that you lost power. I am happy that we were able to help out.

Thank you for your kind review. Next time, I hope you stay with us for a different reason than losing electricity!

We would love to see you again!

Galway, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

We booked Morgan's for a trip to New York for site seeing and shopping and boy were we glad we did!
From the moment we checked in it was a great experience. The room was modern and clean with a lovely view of Madison/ the Empire State. It also had thoughtful touches such as a worldwide travel adaptor and an iPod docking station. The room was only standard, but was quiet spacious for New York standards.
The living room was also open to all guests and had complementary wifi. Breakfast was also complementary and was served in the penthouse with stunning views of the Empire State Building and downtown manhattan.
The staff were very friendly and we were always greeted with a warm welcome when we returned and the door was also opened for us. We were also allowed to keep our suitcases in the hotel for the day after we checked out. We were also told we could make use of the bathroom in the living room to freshen up should we need to. Something we both felt was a lovely touch.
If we could give Morgan's more than 5 stars we would!
We Will definitely be back :-)

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quieter, however rooms at the front have lovely views
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Okay, I must admit that most of the time it is a piece of heaven for me too, but not always! Thank you so much for your kind review. You are very kind and your review made us all feel as though we accomplished what our mission is - to make our guests happy.

The Empire State Building was completed in 1931 and I know that Morgans guests back then were able to see it go up from the Penthouse! It must have been an amazing time in New York.

I hope you will return some day to fenjoy our new facilities. The Lounge will be fabulous!

Kindest regards,

DR

Been to Morgans New York Hotel? Share your experiences!