“our worst experience in recent memory!!!” 1 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Up to 25% off, Book Today
Ranked #87 of 453 Hotels in New York City
Charleston, S.C.
“our worst experience in recent memory!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Where to begin??? On the positive end, the hotels is in a great location,most of the staff were very personable and friendly.
Negatives...we found the beds/ pillows to be uncomfortable/ and the quality of the linens used not very good... we asked 3 days in a row to have the clock in our room, that didn't work, to be replaced/changed...we finally brought it to the front desk ourselves...we had an issue with incorrect credit card charges that we are still dealing with (i.e.we had overcharges on our cards and refunds put on credit card that was not ours),we got locked out of our room on New Years Eve...when we went to the front desk to have the room key cards reset there was no apology or "sorry for the mistake" from the woman on duty...
also, the hotel general manager was never there or available during our stay...would not return or recommend this hotel

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Rigas, General Manager at Morgans New York Hotel, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Thank you for writing - it is important that we know what went wrong as well as what went right.

I would like to address your issues -

Our bedding is top of the line. I am sorry but I cannot apologize for this. We spend a lot of money on high thread count products. We were the first hotel to use non-commercial bedding and lead the way for the industry.

I am so sorry about the clock. I have checked with everyone and no one recalls this issue. It does not mean that it did not happen. It would have been an easy fix for us - replace the clock! I am sorry this was not addressed during your stay.

The beauty of a small hotel is that we actually recall our guest interactions - yes, something went wrong with your lock. And yes, Kristen said 'I'm sorry'. The reason I know this is because you were overheard by several staff members walking away saying 'They can't even apologize'. Kristen did in fact apologize. I am sorry that you were locked out but I cannot accept your claim that our staff did not apologize.

Finally, I am here all the time except when I am on vacation. I am easily accessible and guests often visit my office. I left a message for you in your room and then tried to reach out to you via e-mail on January 25th and have not received a response yet. This was my e-mail to you -

Dear Mr. --- (I have blanked this out because I assume you would like to remain anonymous)
Many thanks for filling out our survey.

I would call you if I had a voice - temperatures below 20 have left me with two days of laryngitis!

I understand that you have a problem with your bill. Please give me the details so that I can look into this. I am very sorry about this.

DR

There were complications with your billing but I am not sure this was due to hotel related issues. I know you wanted to pick up the tab for someone but then there was confusion around this. As you know, we are still trying to resolve this.

Finally, to our guests out there, we make mistakes. We are not perfect. We will try to make up for any issues. Thankfully, most guests have great stays but that is not always the case here or in any hotel around the world!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

I stayed at the Morgans a few years ago and kept a very good souvenir of this hotel. More recently, we stayed 5 days in New York. at the Morgans to attend an opera, discover new areas of New York, rediscover old ones and do some shopping.

This hotel is very central and we could walk to all our points of interest. Rooms are clean and very comfortable. Breakfast is excellent and the view from the penthouse where the breakfast area has been relocated during renovations is most interesting. Above all, what we appreciated the most is the service from the staff, particularly to help us find the best bus/metro or routes to get to our destinations.

Every time I was in the lobby, I had the opportunity to exchange with one of the staff members. Some of them did speak French.

I also appreciated the valet service for the car (we did not use it for 5 days). When we checked out, the car was there, waiting for us. Great service !

Room Tip: We had two rooms with twin beds and both were quiet. Beds are a little small and next time (next Apr...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Rigas, General Manager at Morgans New York Hotel, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Merci - vous et tres gentile. Je suis une 'Francophile'! I certainly hope that I've spelled that correctly!

Thank you so much for your kind review. I love the reference to 'petit bijou'; a small jewel, which is a wonderful description which sounds so lovely in French!

We hope you will come again to see the new Lounge / Living Room and Gym.

Bien Cordialement!

Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

I'm a New Yorker currently living abroad. My husband and I were back to NYC for a visit and stayed at the Morgans. We couldn't be more pleased. Charming staff, clean modern rooms in good taste, and a lovely breakfast in the penthouse with a view of the Empire State Building included in the price.

Well located just a few blocks from Grand Central and Herald Square, the hotel is convenient to transportation but not annoying in the craziness of Times Square. More personal than a big chain with free wifi, free fruit, coffee, tea etc.

I highly recommend it. Ask for a room in the back which are super quiet away from the street. The superior rooms are more spacious than the standard room and worth the extra price.

• Stayed February 2013
Thank you so much! Well, a bit of good news is that we have invested a lot of money in windows for the front of the property and boy do they make a difference. I was up on the fifth floor in a room with the sample windows in the middle of the day and in spite of the buses, trucks and traffic going by, I could not hear a thing! Naturally, Madison Avenue is quieter than most at night and that combined with the new windows will ensure a quiet night's sleep!

Please come back soon!

CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Having lost power in CT, I arrived in NY way ahead of schedule for the opening night of an art show. The staff welcomed me and arranged for me to wait in the Penthouse while they found me an available room. Within the hour I was in my room. During the stay the staff was extremely helpful with dinner suggestions. I was always addressed by name each time I entered the lobby and was made to feel like a valued client. Always a treat to get a reservation at this boutique hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Rigas, General Manager at Morgans New York Hotel, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
I am so sorry that you lost power. I am happy that we were able to help out.

Thank you for your kind review. Next time, I hope you stay with us for a different reason than losing electricity!

We would love to see you again!

Galway, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

We booked Morgan's for a trip to New York for site seeing and shopping and boy were we glad we did!
From the moment we checked in it was a great experience. The room was modern and clean with a lovely view of Madison/ the Empire State. It also had thoughtful touches such as a worldwide travel adaptor and an iPod docking station. The room was only standard, but was quiet spacious for New York standards.
The living room was also open to all guests and had complementary wifi. Breakfast was also complementary and was served in the penthouse with stunning views of the Empire State Building and downtown manhattan.
The staff were very friendly and we were always greeted with a warm welcome when we returned and the door was also opened for us. We were also allowed to keep our suitcases in the hotel for the day after we checked out. We were also told we could make use of the bathroom in the living room to freshen up should we need to. Something we both felt was a lovely touch.
If we could give Morgan's more than 5 stars we would!
We Will definitely be back :-)

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quieter, however rooms at the front have lovely views
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Okay, I must admit that most of the time it is a piece of heaven for me too, but not always! Thank you so much for your kind review. You are very kind and your review made us all feel as though we accomplished what our mission is - to make our guests happy.

The Empire State Building was completed in 1931 and I know that Morgans guests back then were able to see it go up from the Penthouse! It must have been an amazing time in New York.

I hope you will return some day to fenjoy our new facilities. The Lounge will be fabulous!

Kindest regards,

Holmdel, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

I live close to NYC (1 h drive) but time to time I stay overnight or 2 nights or... 3 nights in the city.
This time we needed midtown location hotel. Picked Morgans.

Hotel has very good midtown location, close to shopping area around Empire State building,
Grand Central / Port Authority Bus term / Penn Station / a few subway stations.
On a weekend you can find free parking (yep, commodity in NYC) and not to pay $50(fifty)/24h valet parking offered by hotel.
Clean, tiny but cute bathrooms, good linens, nice sitting area by the windows, silent heating/cooling system/fridge with mini bar, PLENTY of storage (remember, we are in NYC!).
Free pass for the next door New York Sport Club.
Awesome roof top breakfast area with the view Emp.State Building, more than plenty of food for "continental" breakfast. BTW, you can help yourself with FREE tea from 7am till 11pm.

Minus (for me)
- the mattress was way too hard for me
- no king size beds are available.

Will I recommend this place?
Yep!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Rigas, General Manager at Morgans New York Hotel, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

Yes, parking is very expensive in New York City I'm afraid. I took Mom to a fancy breakfast recently and paid $50 for a couple of hours!

We do have King beds in all of our Suites but not in our Superior or Standard Rooms.

Thank you for mentioning the complimentary tea and coffee. It is a nice way to end a busy afternoon of doing business or sight seeing!

Hope to see you again soon!

Regards,

Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Staff are the best and most friendliest I have ever come across at a hotel, from the desk staff, doormen and penthouse breakfast room staff everyone was helpful, informative and genuinely nice.
The hotel had a quirky black/ white/gray designer feel to it, and I was told that it was interior designed by the designer of concorde, with the same space saving metal sinks in the bathrooms!!! The views of the empire state building from the roof top penthouse were incredible and there are lots of sights within close proximity (Times Sq.; Intrepid aircrafr carrier; Chrysler Building; Grand Central Station and Macys to name a few)
The rooms were spacious well equipped and warm (Very important in -7 F)
Overall a wonderful trip enhanced by staying at Morgans.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you very much for mentioning the Design. It is especially apropo since our dear Designer, Andree Putman recently passed away. She was truly Iconic and I would encourage everyone to read a bit about her life and her talent.

New York has been a bit colder than last year but not terrible! It is important however that our guests feel cozy once they leave the streets of Manhattan and come into a warm environment!

I do hope you will visit again!

Regards,

DR

Been to Morgans New York Hotel? Share your experiences!