“Just book it!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #104 of 459 Hotels in New York City
London, United Kingdom
“Just book it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Despite using Trip Advisor frequently I have never written a single review until now. Morgans, however, deserves to be raved about. Having decided to extend our stay in Manhattan by one night I took a very quick look online and booked the first hotel that was reasonably priced and offered free wifi; what a fortuitous choice!

The most significant element to this hotel is that one feels truly welcomed. From the moment of arrival the two gentlemen at the door leapt into action to greet us and throughout our stay nothing was too much trouble for these guys. Whilst my partner arranged parking and luggage, I went to the PH check-in where two smiling faces awaited me, within 3 minutes I was back in the elevator with my room key, wifi code, a smile forming on my face and my migraine of the morning rapidly disappearing. We stayed in 702, which was roomy, quiet and had a pleasant view of Madison Avenue below.

The room design here is outstanding. Plenty of storage, both hanging and drawers. Iron and ironing board in the closet along with a safe, hairdryer, umbrella, electrical adaptor and luggage stand. There is a small fridge in the room and the built in sofa not only looked good but was comfortable. The heating/cooling unit worked perfectly, effective privacy and black out blinds at the window, the bedside clock a very thoughtful touch and most importantly a bed which ensured a blissful sleep.

Ok, so if I had to be really really picky, the bathroom was on the small side (but the shower was roomy with excellent water pressure and temperature) and the elevators and corridors were on the dark side (although I personally thought that created a cosy ambience). Don't let these small matters mentioned by other reviewers put you off!

Being European, I'm perfectly happy with a Continental breakfast, this one was very good. The croissants and muffins were divine, not to mention the fresh juice, bagels, toast, a selection of teas, coffee, cereal and yoghurt on offer.

Although I spent less than 24 hours in this hotel, I left feeling relaxed and cosseted. For $300 I had an excellent sleep, an excellent shower, an excellent breakfast and free wifi - what more does one need from a hotel? Well, I got more, not only did I leave feeling that I received value for money but I also received something that money cannot buy - truly outstanding warm and genuine customer service.

The staff at Morgans were super friendly and helpful throughout our stay but there were a couple of things at the end of our stay which indicated to me how much they care about their guest's experience. Firstly, having called for a Bellman to collect our bags from the room, we sat waiting for a good few minutes past our past our check out time when the telephone rang, I answered it to be told that the Bell man had been waiting outside our room but did not knock because the 'Privacy' sign was hanging on the door handle. Class.

Secondly, because I was so impressed, on my return home I did something I have never done, I called the hotel to personally extend my thoughts to management. When the telephone was answered I asked for the General Manager and the receptionist put me straight through, there was no fielding of my call at all. I left a voicemail message with my name alone and within a couple of hours I received a personal email from the General Manager thanking me. Impressive.

I have stayed in 100+ luxury hotels on every continent and have much food for comparison. Service of this standard alone would cause me to return but Morgans offers much more than exemplary service, it offers an exemplary experience.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Rigas, General Manager at Morgans New York Hotel, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Good day!

I absolutely love your title! Your review is so well detailed and contains a lot of information! I could not have done a better job myself.

Thank you for taking the time to write. I hope you can spend more time with us next time around!

DR

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
Falls Church, Va
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

For the price this is probably one of the best boutique hotels in NYC. Location is pretty good and a short walk away from the Disney land of time square. The lobby is undergoing some renovations so you have to check in at the penthouse. The room was relatively spacious and had a modern feel. I was extremely pleased with the amenities (bath room and bath products, robe, in room safe, free internet, breakfast, penthouse access). More importantly - I had some of the best sleep ever here - the bed and pillows were so comfortable. The hotel was quiet and service was professional. This place is very very clean. Housekeeping and management do great work. I will almost certainly come back and stay at Morgans.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you very much indeed! The good news is that the Front Desk is back in the Lobby! We have completed the work that needed to be done.

I am so happy you got a restful sleep here at Morgans. I do too when I stay here sometimes! I think the beds / Duvets and pillows are very comfortable. We often have guests who ask us where they can purchase the same items for home.

Please come back soon!

Täby, Stockholms Län, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

We realy liked Morgans. Small hotell without fuss or heavyy administration. Very dedicated personal, always helpful. We're very satisfied with the room, which was quite, very clean with comfortable beds. We're two persons staying three nights. The location is maybe not the most central in Manhattan, on the other hand close to shopping on Madison Avenue and the area is little more quite the n the arreas round Times Square.

Room Tip: Quite rooms, no bugs, clean
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Rigas, General Manager at Morgans New York Hotel, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Thank you so much for your review. I love Times Square - it is so exciting and full of life and activity, but it can be a bit overwhelming to stay in that area. This is the 'city that never sleeps' but sleep is something we cannot do without!

Hope to see you again soon!

Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

NYC can meet, exceed or fail miserably in your hotel expectations. Morgans is at the upper end for business travel. NYC rooms are usually small, this is no exception... but its not uncomfortably cozy. Plenty of space, no waste. Creative compartments and usual amenities exist. For the price, almost went main stream (brand name hotels) but wanted to try something closer to my meetings. And avoid Grand Central, glad I did.

It is not easily found from the street, not immediately recognizable as a hotel. Lobby is quaint, under construction... everyone shuttled up to penthouse for checkin. Staff are very friendly, doorman, frontdesk, maids and breakfast attendants. Bfast is standard continental fair in the penthouse... with a great view! Go up 1 floor to the balconies, Empire state building views. Casual dining in vicinity, easy walk to bryant park, even Times Square and Theatre District (15 - 20 min walk I think).

Typical NYC layout, many floors, only 8 rooms per floor. Darker hallways.. didn't hear my neighbors or elevators. Room AC / ventilation worked great. Showers were strong and hot. Odd decor... the black & white checkerboard patterns an interesting touch. Clean bedding and towels, clean room. Furniture a bit fatigued. WiFi worked great first day, second day was out (Hurricane Sandy Telco outage). Safe neighborhood for evening walks. 5 blocks to Grand Central and trains/subways.

I usually stay at mainstream hotels (Hyatt, Westin), this was a nice change of pace... would stay here again..

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Rigas, General Manager at Morgans New York Hotel, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I agree, sometimes it is nice to try something new. The chain hotels have their benefits as do the smaller boutiques. The good news is that there is something for everyone.

More good news - we are moving the Front Desk back to the Lobby this week, and we are getting closer to opening our new Lounge, Guest Living Room and Fitness Center! I certainly hope you return to try our new venues.

Newton, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

We arrived very late at night in the middle of storm Athena a week after Sandy. It was a last moment change so for that price there weren't many options. It was nice that unlike other hotels in the area they didn't raise the price after the storms. We loved the modern design. It's not a traditional kind of hotel, yet it has everything and more. some examples, light over mirror in the closet, magnifying mirror that pops up of the desk, Great shower head... The size of the room was really decent comparing to hotels in NY. The price included breakfast, which was really nice and the view from the breakfast room was the stunning NY skyline with the Empire State Building in the middle, The internet was pretty fast (again a big advantage comparing to other hotels), and most of all - I love Murray Hill neighborhood. Location is really great.

Thank you so much!

Something I absolutely cannot tolerate is price gouging after a crisis. I think it is unethical and immoral. Strong words, but I have strong feelings about this. It is simply not right to take advantage of guests because they are desperate for a room.

I too love Murray Hill. It reminds me of 'old New York' and is so central to everything.

Please come back soon!

New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

We booked a night here after Hurricane Sandy because our power was out in lower Manhattan and it was a mixed bag. Firstly, the hotel is under renovation which I was not aware of before booking. The restaurant (Asia de Cuba) which used to be a draw, was entirely closed. The check-in was moved to the "penthouse" on the top floor, a tiny space in a small hotel with 2 persons sitting at a desk in a little room. Nothing elegant here let me tell ya. OK, the room was fairly comfortable, the bed was good and the toiletries nice but again there was nothing special here, it all seemed very 1980s and dated somehow. Seriously, aren't we all over Philippe Starck "starkness"? There's no room service either, adding to the feeling of neglect. Breakfast, continental only, was included but if you wanted eggs you'd better go to the diner. Bottom line: until it's fully renovated, better options clearly exist elsewhere unless you get a STEAL on the price (and I'm talking not a penny more than $200). ps - the room was a bit noisy at night as well, not sure if it was coming for outside or not but there was an undertone of "techno" that I didn't really need at 3am.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review.

It is not actually the hotel which is under renovation, but the restaurant which is located on the side of the building.

I am sorry about the check in process but the good news is that we are moving the Front Desk back to the Lobby this very week!

Actually, the hotel was not designed by Philippe Starck but by the ever elegant Andree Putman. Anyone who has studied design understands and appreciates her work; although it is not liked by everyone. After all, we all have our personal tastes to which we are entitled!

We do offer Room Service, although it is a modified menu.

Thankfully, we will be opening our Lounge, Living Room and Fitness Center in early 2013!

London UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

The staff are delightful, esp in Reception but the hotel is silly. It's over-designed, you need a degree to work the shower, the lift is so dark I couldn't see the floor buttons, the corridors are narrow & prison-like, the towels are minute, there is no cooked breakfast & the rooms are dark-even the superior suites. No sign outside to anounce the name, it's trying so hard to be 'cool', it falls over backwards. It's not comfy, it's achingly 'up itself' & because of the renovations, the phones didn't work. Free Wi-fi throughout did mollify me a little& it was very quiet with comfy beds. But the executive desk had not thought about the siting of plugs for computers, etc, Best thing; it's very close to the wonderful Morgan Library.

Room Tip: Ask to be far from the elevators
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Rigas, General Manager at Morgans New York Hotel, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

Honestly, we are not trying to be 'too cool'. Morgans opened 28 years ago and 'cool' is long past us. We are simply who we are and some folks love it and others do not. I will say however, we are not ashamed of who we are. Our DNA may not be suitable for all but that is okay! There is a hotel out there for everyone; not that we would not love for everyone to at least try us!

Also, if a towel can cover me, believe me, unless you are a giant, it can cover you. A bath towel is different from a bath sheet. We have bath towels.

I am not sure exactly when you were here, but our phones were not out due to renovations but due to Hurricane Sandy, and there were letters in each room stating this. Everything is finally back in working order.

Finally, there is indeed an area in the desk that has plenty of outlets for plugs.

Readers, pardon me for stating this again but it is worth giving a tip to a Bellman in order to have a room orientation if nothing else. It is not about carrying luggage but about learning the features of your room. There is a dimmer in the bathroom which you may not notice, there is an area in the desk with outlets, there is a full length mirror in the closet, there is a hair dryer, there is an adapter. So many of you avoid using a Bellman and then get upset when you look for something!

But I digress -

We are indeed working on the elevator floor buttons and the lighting in the hallways. You do have a point.

Also I am delighted that you like our location and our staff.

It is the first time I've heard 'silly' as a description of Morgans. I have to think about that.

DR

Been to Morgans New York Hotel? Share your experiences!