“Minimalist and Fresh” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #102 of 458 Hotels in New York City
Atlanta, Georgia
“Minimalist and Fresh”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

Found this hotel on a discounted website and scored an excellent price for a superior room. This is a very unusual and interesting hotel. No name or canopy in front; no reception desk either. Once we got used to the vibe, we fell in with it. The hotel aims to please and the people who work there reflect this excellent customer service. The breakfast in the penthouse is substantial and good. The location is perfect- a little off the tourist track but close to public transportation and major sites. My only major complaint is the airconditioning which was loud and intermittently went on and off all night, blowing cold air on me. My minor complaint that in the breakfast rooms, CNN is blaring. When we asked the staffmember if we could turn it off, he turned it down but not off. It would seem that a hotel with such a high consciousness might have classical music playing or jazz instead of the news. If thosewere fixed, my score would be a perfect 5. I'm sure with all the attention that is paid to the decor, customer treatment, and freshness, these issues are not deal breakers.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Rigas, General Manager at Morgans New York Hotel, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Thank you for your review. I think your feedback is very useful. To be quite frank, I was not thrilled with having a TV on in the Breakfast Room. I think it takes away from the overall experience of being in a spectacular Penthouse. This is the note I sent to my staff today:

I've had reservations about having any TV on in the Breakfast Room. Personally, I do not think it is 'us'. Music is better than watching all the unpleasantness in the world. This was also recently reflected in a guest complaint.

Please turn off the TV's and let's just offer a relaxing breakfast to music.

Thank you for your feedback - I encourage all of you out there to give us useful tips. There is nothing more important than the 'voice of our guests'.

DR

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (194)
Atlanta, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

I hadn't stayed at Morgans for a couple of years but had the chance to revisit in July. The wonderful experience then put it at the top of the list for a return trip to NYC in early September when I had another excellent stay. Yes - lobby was undergoing renovation, but that didn't affect the experience at all. Kudos especially to Robert at front desk who handled reservation and who had a welcoming word each time I was on my way in or out. Room was lovely and location can't be beat. Trip was a mix of business and personal and hotel hits bulls-eye for both types of travel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Thank you so much for your kind review. The fact that you had selected Morgans for a second stay this year makes me feel that we are doing the right things!

Actually, it is not the Lobby that is under renovation but our restaurant. In order to make things more comfortable for our guests, we have created a separation between the Lobby and the Restaurant. We have moved our Breakfast Room into the Penthouse and are offering a limited menu in there in the evenings. Actually, as fall descends upon us and it gets darker, the views from the Penthouse are even more spectacular!

I do hope you return to try our new Lounge!

Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

I recently booked a 3 night stay for my daughters at the Morgans in New York. I found a promotion on Travelzoo which included an upgrade to a suite. My daughters cannot stop talking about what a wonderful time they had and how much they appreciated the thoughtfulness of the hotel staff. Most of the staff were quite young and could relate to my daughters who are 18 and 22. The hotel stay included breakfast which was a nice touch for a New York hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Rigas, General Manager at Morgans New York Hotel, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
I am absolutely delighted that this was a special trip for your daughter. I wish I was as young as some of our team!

Hopefully you can come again and see our new Lounge, Living Room and Fitness Room which are going to be wonderful. These will soon open but as you know we are currently using the Penthouse which is equally lovely.

Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

Given the choice of hotels in NYC I am not even sure why I booked this hotel but I believe it was a combination of price, location and the reviews I saw on Tripadvisor and boy were we lucky! We traveled to New York by bus and arrived at the hotel in the morning relatively knackered at about 10am.
The plan was just to drop off our bags and find a breakfast place but to our pleasant surprise not only were we already given a room, the friendly receptionist even mentioned that breakfast was still available (even though we just arrived and had the room booked for the night and the breakfast for the following morning). So we quickly dropped of our bags and had a great breakfast which gave us a fantastic start to the day.
The rest of the stay (ie the night and the following morning incl breakfast) were also highly enjoyable but what really blew my socks of was the nice gesture when we arrived to have breakfast even though we had the room booked only for the night to come.
It is this combined with a genuinely friendliness of the staff that makes me highly recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: I guess the general rule of thumb is the higher up the better since you don't hear the street no...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Well naturally we would not leave you hungry for the day! You are a guest of the hotel no matter what time you arrive! If that was not the case, it would be like expecting a certain house guest and not feeding them just because they arrive early!

Thank you so much for your kind review. I hope we get to see you again.

Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

I loved my recent stay at Morgans-- it felt unique, charming, and wonderfully kept up, with a distinctly modern touch (the entire place is filled with wonderful black-and-white decor). To me, it felt more like a small boutique hotel in Europe than anything else-- and that's a good thing.
As far as service is concerned, it's been a while since I've had such a positive experience with all manner of staff-- those at the check-in desk, maid service, and the doormen were all so kind, talkative, and completely helpful. I wouldn't hesitate to come back for another good experience.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Rigas, General Manager at Morgans New York Hotel, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
I know this sounds corny, but I got a chill reading your review. How wonderfully you've captured the essence of Morgans! Your comments regarding our staff made me so happy. You've made my day!

Please come back!

Providence, RI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

I just wanted to express how grateful we are that Morgans hotel upgraded us from a regular 1 bedroom suite to a balcony suite for free. To start, the normal suite was not very expensive, I assume, because the hotel is going through minor lobby renovation.

But then we found out that we were upgraded to a balcony suite: We ended up in this beautiful one-bedroom apartment with spectacular views of Manhattan on every side and access to two private balconies, with the most amazing view of the Empire State building. It was right there, in front of us. If you have the option of booking this suite, I strongly recommend it. Although we had a lot to do in town, it pained us to have to leave the suite and not spend the entire weekend on our balcony.

The other main feature of the hotel is that it is walking distance from both train stations. Grand Central is 4 blocks and Penn is about 15 minutes away. Provided you have small luggage, then getting to and from is no problem at all.

As regards the hotel itself: I won't rehash everything stated by everyone else. The suite was very comfortable, clean and well-appointed. The decor is really awesome with a black, grey and white motif, plush carpet, fridge, nice bathroom. AC worked great. Our shower was very nice and we have a whirlpool tub.

Breakfast was great, service was perfect. Everyone was uber-professional, polite and helpful.

We had one of our best weekends in the City, thanks in large part to our stay here.

Room Tip: Get the balcony suite if you can afford it. Well worth it.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
And you 'rock' for describing our Balcony Suite so perfectly. It is a one of a kind Suite and in high demand so if anyone out there wants to reserve it, it is best to make arrangements ahead of time.

Thank you for your kind review. It gives me great personal satisfaction that you enjoyed your stay with us!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

We stayed in Morgans original this time last year. Wow, what a treat. The location is brilliant, really handy for exploring manhattan, about ten minutes walk from times square and just around the corner from empire state. When sat in our window seat you could see the empire state, amazing. We had a transfer included in our holiday package and found the hotel no problem, it's not well marked but with the numbered blocks in manhattan very hard to miss. Looks sleek and classic from outside. On check in everyone was so friendly and this was the case for the whole of the stay. The room was really big and beds soft and comfy. The carpet was so soft and lush, nice to walk on after a day exploring. Me and my fiancé love edgy design so we loved the detail in our rooms. Breakfast was delicious. Fruit, pastries bagels fruit juices. The breakfast room was in the edgy restaurant attached to hotel. It's the sleekest room I have ever had breakfast in, cool design, relaxing and funky. it had a lovely chilled out vibe, nice environment to sit and plan your day. On check out the lovely receptionist flagged us a yellow taxi back to the airport, this was fabuolous as I did not fancy our chances in manhattan at rush hour. In a nutshell, loved it and can't wait to go back one day! Thanks so much to the staf at the Morgan's for making our stay fabulous!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Rigas, General Manager at Morgans New York Hotel, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Thank you so very much for writing! While our restaurant is being re-designed, we have moved breakfast to the Penthouse. You should see the view from there! And our guests are enjoying sitting on the terraces as well.

For me as a General Manager however, it is your comments regarding our staff that make it all worthwile. I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay and hope you will return to see our new restaurant!

DR

Been to Morgans New York Hotel? Share your experiences!