“You definitely get what you pay for.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Vanderbilt YMCA

You added The Vanderbilt YMCA to your Saves list
The Vanderbilt YMCA
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   224 East 47th St., New York City, NY 10017 (Manhattan)   |
Fredericksburg, Virginia
“You definitely get what you pay for.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

For around $100 per night, cheaper than most hotels anywhere near Manhattan, this hostel isn't terrible, but it certainly isn't very comfortable. For those who are on a budget and are only staying one night, this is an okay place to stay. It's definitely not for those who are looking to spend more than a night or are Goldilocks travelers.

We booked with HotelClub and saved about $20 on the room fee. My friend and I shared a single room with a bunk bed in room 649- the room at the end of the hall, very close to the women's bathroom and showers.

There was one small window with a window AC unit and wooden blinds, no curtains. The view was better than I had expected. By no means did it have a view of Times Square or anything like that, but we weren't facing a brick wall. Outside noise was not a big problem; normal big city noises, like multiple horns honking at the same time, would happen, but it wasn't so disturbing that it interrupted sleep during normal nighttime hours. During the night, there was little to no noise from other guests. The walls do seem to be quite thin, though.

The mattresses were hard and springy, but once laid on, they were more comfortable. The pillow was almost totally flat. However, the biggest disappointment was the blankets, or rather lack thereof. The room got colder as it got later into the night (dropped to around 40 degrees outdoors), and I was awoken twice because I was cold even while wearing basketball shorts and a t-shirt to bed. The sheets were clean and white, no bed-bugs (I checked!), but the comforter had the same consistency; it was thin and provided close to no shield from the cold air.

The floor was kind of gross. It looked like no one had swept and/or mopped it since the last guest had been there. Part of my necklace had broken, and as I was looking on the floor for a piece of it, I noticed nail clippings along the side of the bottom bunk. I wouldn't recommend walking with bare feet on room floors.

The room included a mini-fridge, which kept a large bottle of water chilled. The outlets are old and don't grip plugs very well, but they work perfectly fine. The television and remote control worked perfectly, and all the major networks/basic cable channels were available. There were many shelves to put our stuff as well as drawers beneath the bottom bunk, a four-drawer dresser, and a closet. We kept most of our things on the desk, though, as we were only staying one night. We were only given one medium-sized towel each; since we didn't use it very often and didn't need more, we didn't bother to ask for more/bigger/smaller towels. The towels were in good condition: no holes, no threads, adequate thickness. They gave us a wifi password when we arrived, but the connection was hosted on another floor and we weren't able to connect to it.

The bathrooms were close by, thankfully. The men's and women's restrooms/showers are located on opposite sides of the floor, so I wasn't running into anyone of the opposite sex while in my pajamas in the middle of the night. There are two toilets, three sinks, and a shower in the restroom and two showers in the shower room. It doesn't seem like much for an entire floor, but there was never a line for the toilets or showers when I needed to use them. A number code is needed to get into the showers; they give you that at the front desk when you check in. Your room key is required to get into the restroom. The bathrooms had hooks, so there was no need to leave towels and/or clothes on the floor when showering or changing. During the day, the bathroom was clean as a whistle, but during the night, it wasn't so tidy. There were some paper towels tossed about and pieces of hair on the floor, but what else could you expect from an entire floor sharing a restroom? On my trips to the bathroom, there was almost always a cleaning staff by the commercial elevator with a cart of supplies. Since the hallways are narrow, it was kind of difficult to get around the cart, but they were happy to move it out of the way.

The elevators were the only place we saw other people; we didn't go into the lounge. Lots of travellers from other countries stay here; we heard French, Spanish, as well as many others that I couldn't place. I don't think we saw one person whose first language was English except for the front-desk staff.

The staff were slow checking us in but were friendly. The man sitting at the desk during the night was very courteous, which I was surprised by after seeing many complaints about night employees from other reviews. Check out was faster, and we were able to check out early at the desk.

The traffic was terrible (ended up spending around $100 in cabs & didn't do any sightseeing), so I'm glad we were able to save some money by getting a room at a low price, but I wouldn't stay here again. The coldness of the room and sharing of a bathroom with an entire floor of people, most of which didn't speak English (exchanges were usually awkward because of this), outweighed the bargain.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Utica, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

I understand the utility and overall cons of visiting a hostel. But there are plenty of perks that include cheaper pricing and meeting new people. However, this hostel was a complete failure. I had to sweep my room twice. I couldn't stand the cracker crumbs and hair strands all over the floor. There was also a red, sticky puddle (like a lollipop melted) near the door. The television had static across all channels. The bathrooms...well, let's just say I waited until I visited bars/restaurants to use the restroom. The bathrooms have schedule cleanings where the cleaners check off the times. Supposedly, the bathrooms are supposed to be cleaned 5x daily. Ha! They cleaned the bathroom every morning. I had to call 3x to get toilet paper refilled and also to call about a clogged toilet. Now, I know this also has to do with nasty hostel-goers, but there were sanitary products littering the floor. No one came to clean up the gross fest until morning. There is free internet, but you have to use the internet downstairs. The connection gets weaker as the floor numbers get higher.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012 via mobile

All whats interested this hostel is money!
There is a malentendu and they steal my money.
Miss Thomas, a woman who worked there was so rude and nasty.
I paid for a room one week, this room was dirty! They are no bathroom in! We have to go at the end of the hall to pi!!
they charged me 30dollars per night to swap my room with my auntie!!
Incredible!!! They never explain me that before at my arrival!!!

Poor hostel of crap!

• Stayed September 2012
Montreuil
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

We stayed there 4 nights. The location is very very good, just 5 mn walk from Grand Central, about 10/15 mn walk from Times Square.
When we arrived at the hostel, it took us ages to check-in because Alexander (sorry about that bro) was not really care about us but he was concentrated in what was going on with his co-workers...
We took a room for 2 which was a bit small and honestly the cleaning has never been doing. When we came in the room there was some hair on the floor, when we left there were still there, hopefully our towels were always new ones.
The hostel is huge. In 1 floor, there's more than 30 rooms and it seems that there is not enough bathrooms. Imagine all the room were not busy...

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Evanston, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

Cheapest place I found for this location. It was a model of efficiency for the room sizes -- my room was extraordinarily small -- just slightly bigger than the bed itself. Which I liked since that's how you keep prices down. The place also has kitchens, so if you want to make your own food you can save a small amount of money that way. Oh, one thing, my legs itched under the sheet, which happens with me at some cheap motels too. It's not bed bugs though, I think it's dust mites or something like that.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Tel Aviv, Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012 via mobile

Stayed there last march, for the 4th time in the last 20 years. My neutral choice when in NYC. Close to everywhere in Manhattan, fairly clean, safe, a very good value. The only minus for some people may beis the shared bath
( no bath or toilet inside the rooms, only on the floor) but beside that, it is the excellent choice for budget travelers .

• Stayed March 2012
Sao Paulo, SP
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

I stayed in a double room (bunk bed) for $104 per night.
The hotel is not good.
However if you're looking for a cheap place in the heart of Manhattan I dont think you have another option. Everything is too much expensive in that city.

The place is very simple, but clean. The room is very small, nearly 5m2. In this space they could make a magic: they were able to put the bed, one chair, one frigo, one tv and one litlle wardrobe.
There is no space left for being confortable.

The bathroom was shared among all the guests on the floor, there were at least 30 rooms.
I didnt´t have any problem to use the bathroom as i did that at times with no "rush". I am used to take bath late at night and get up very early, so people were not willing to use the bathroom the same time as I was. However, sometimes you will find a line for the shower.
In spite of that the bathroom was clean. There was liquid soap for free (bad, hawever)

The location is good. It is in central Manhattan, The nearest metro station is 51st with Lexington. You can go to any place you want from there. The neighborhood is safe and there is some places to eat on the 2nd Avenue. There was a good market on the 45th St between 2nd and 3rd.

The staff is rude. Some of them was kind, but most were stupid.

The wifi doesn´t work in the room, you ought to go down to the lobby if you want surf the net.

Good points: there is a laundry (of course, you have to pay for using it). They allow you to leave the lugagge (you pay $2 for each bag). They give you water for free in a water machine located in the corridor and they have air conditioner in the room.

Bad points: a youth hotel and too much noise. There were no cortains in the windows and so there were too much light in the room.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Vanderbilt YMCA? Share your experiences!