“Great stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Casablanca Hotel Times Square

You added Casablanca Hotel Times Square to your Saves list
Casablanca Hotel Times Square
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   147 West 43rd Street, (Just East of Broadway), New York City, NY 10036 (Midtown)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
BOOK DIRECT AND SAVE!
Ranked #3 of 464 Hotels in New York City
Galashiels
“Great stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Staff very keen to help you even gave us bottles of cold water as we returned to hotel very hot .Rooms were spotless. Breakfast was nicely presented with fruits and yogurts breads and pastries even had our bagels etc individually toasted for us .Liked the coffee and refreshments available all day and of course cheese and wine in the evening. How civilised! All in all an excellent hotel in a prime location close to Time Square where the staff just can't do enough for you we have stayed previously in the Waldorf but we enjoyed this more

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (627)
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

We were here for our first trip to NYC and stayed only one night.

A previous reviewer highlighted that this hotel is 'not luxury" and "worn". I have to agree with this assessment - particularly as I was expecting more. My expectations were based on (1) the room rate (2) the hotels own professional photos and (3) other Trip Advisors reviews. Our expectations were not met.

Our room was anything but romantic. I thought air conditioners like these became extinct in the 1970's. It was so incredibly noisy that we turned it off and suffered the heat and stuffiness - not in silence. Unfortunately next doors air conditioning unit was almost as loud in our room.

It was the breakfast arrangement that most reminded me of a B & B. A pleasant social environment.

Given how fantastic and obliging the staff were it is really hard to be negative on Trip Advisor about "Casablanca Hotel". That said, I can't imagine that the location and service levels alone would draw us back on our next visit to NYC.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
AdeleGutman, Vice President of Sales, Marketing and Revenue at Casablanca Hotel Times Square, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Dear baef47,

Thank you for sharing your perspective on your recent stay with us. We are sorry the experience was not what you hoped for, but I want to assure you, we take your comments very seriously. Although we are not trying to be posh or opulent here, it is of our utmost concern to provide and maintain the highest standard of quality and cleanliness. I am pleased to share with you that we are on a schedule of installing several new air conditioning units every week, and will replace the unit in the room you stayed in right away and the rest of the hotel will also be completed soon.
We are a very busy hotel and as such, it is always a challenge to maintain everything perfectly between uses, but it is a challenge we embrace. To show our earnest commitment to excellence in this area, I would like to share with you and the other travelers reading this, some information about other recent and ongoing maintenance projects. In the last 12 months we have replaced every guestroom carpet, every mattress, and all the bed scarves and pillows. All the sofa beds have been replaced within the last 18 months. All linen was received within the last 2-3 months. Several bathroom floors have already been retiled and we hope to have all of the remaining rooms completed soon. Last year we did away with all of our armoires and new flat screen televisions were wall mounted to increase space in all of our guest rooms. We also refinished the chests of drawers in the rooms or replaced the units entirely.

Earlier this week, we took the opportunity to order new wallpaper to for any rooms that have not already been recently redone. If there is anything else you might like to share with us as to how we can improve, we would gladly accept any of your suggestions.

Lastly, I was very happy to hear that you did enjoy the clubroom where all the seating was replaced within the last year. We are also delighted you enjoyed the pleasing nature of our staff. We are very proud of our team of hoteliers at all of our hotels. We do have 3 sister hotels here in Manhattan and while I see you did look at the photos of the hotel before booking, I can’t help feeling that perhaps the style of one of our sister hotels might have suited you better, while still offering our same philosophy of service, wonderful clubroom concept, and wealth of complimentary amenities included in the rate. Thank you once again for your comments. If I can assist you in finding a hotel in NYC better suited to your taste, I would be delighted to be of service. Please contact me at adele@booklhc.com

P.S. As a tip to future travelers, in addition to our photos you can look at the photos made by other guests here on TripAdvisor and by the travel critics at Oyster as well.

Respectfully,

Adele Gutman
Pottsville, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

We stayed 4 nights at this charming boutique hotel. Staff very accommodating and courteous, the continental breakfast was great, actually "beyond" continental (loved the warm hard boiled eggs!) and the ladies who helped at breakfast were so very accommodating. Parking next door was convenient ($25 per day), our room was #610, no view but very adequate, and the drinks and snacks during the afternoon were a welcome touch. Would recommend this hotel to anyone!

Room Tip: If possible pay extra for a larger room
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

I recently stayed at the Casablanca and, after reading the reviews on TripAdvisor, I was honestly disappointed in the condition of the hotel. As the prices seem to have risen with demand (driven, I assume, in part by having the top spot on TripAdvisor), the cost seems disproportionate with what you get.

First, the positives.

The location was very good for going to the theaters. Not far from the TKTS booth. Easy to pick up some tickets, head back for a nap or rest or wine & cheese, or all of the above.

Everyone was nice, though you expect that from any good hotel.

The breakfast was nice also, though not terribly fancy (fruit, bagels were a bit dry, cereal, coffee) and the evening wine and cheese was good, though again not terribly fancy (the wine is of the $12 a bottle variety).

Now the negatives:

The carpets were well worn; the floor under the carpet in our room was uneven; and only a sliver of natural light came into our room. Elevator was old and slow. The furniture and decor was worn, dated and not terribly special.

The location, while a benefit to theater goers, is also a negative, putting you right outside of the most crowded, most touristy and most superficial part of the city. You are paying a premium for location and, honestly, there are, in my opinion, more interesting, vibrant and calmer places to be in NYC. I only mention this mainly because previous reviewers have put the Casablanca's location as the be-all, end-all, and, if you are new to NYC or haven't explored it much, you might not think to consider some very good hotels elsewhere in charming areas of the city where locals actually go. I don't hold this against the hotel, as I knew the location when I made the reservation, I just point this out since most of the other reviews don't mention the downside of the Times Square hotels in general.

I would probably give it 3 and a half stars if it were possible as it is above average, everyone was nice, and it is a good location for going to the theater. That said, over $400 a night (with taxes) for a small room with minimal natural light in a worn hotel, left me disappointed. NYC is expensive, but there are deals to be had in nice areas, with modern facilities, for a similar price. I wanted to stay in the #1 rated hotel (per TripAdvisor) in NYC and so I chose the Casablanca. Unfortunately, I wish I'd looked elsewhere.

Room Tip: This is not a luxury hotel. The rooms are not charming and they get minimal natural light. If you...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
AdeleGutman, Vice President of Sales, Marketing and Revenue at Casablanca Hotel Times Square, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Dear John F,

Thank you for your recent visit. I am saddened that it was not the luxurious experience you were hoping for. Indeed, our little hotel was never meant to be posh nor is it trying to be anything but a cozy and friendly little respite just off Times Square. We are simply offering a well maintained comfortable atmosphere that many of our fans appreciate as an oasis of tranquility. We wish we could be the perfect hotel for every traveler but like all boutique hotels, instead of offering the typical cookie cutter experience for universal appeal, we offer a unique style that is wonderful for many but, we understand that every traveler has his own preferences. It is true that Times Square is not for everyone and clearly our décor was too rustic for your taste. We inspected your rooms carefully and found them to be in excellent condition. It is easy to see from the hundreds of photos here on TripAdvisor that we are not at all contemporary or opulent, so I am sorry if you misinterpreted the multitude of positive reviews as a sign of how fancy the hotel is. I think you will find this to be true in all destinations on TripAdvisor; the top 10 hotels range from 2 stars to 5 stars, but they all offer a great experience for guests. For prospective travelers coming to New York or any city, we encourage you to please look at the hotel’s website thoroughly before booking as well as take special care to review the photo gallery provided here on TripAdvisor. At least for our hotel we have taken great pains to provide an authentic expression of exactly what we offer.

If you or any TripAdvisor member has any questions or if I may be of service in any way, please feel free to contact me at adele@booklhc.com.

Respectfully,

Adele Gutman
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Wonderful hotel, incredible staff, perfect location, and personal attention. Very close to theaters, dining, shopping, and tour centers. Special kudos to Joseph who promptly handled baggage, questions and recommendations. The Casablanca is near most of the theaters that my family was interested in attending, near the visitors centers for tours, and all that Times Square has to offer. The hotel handled transportation from and to the airport and the timing was perfect. The front desk went out of their way to contact a theater to get box office times so that we could go back to pick up a t-shirt for our granddaughter. The breakfast served at Rick's was quite adequate and the staff was very accommodating. I will never have to look for a hotel again when visiting New York.

Room Tip: We were on the sixth floor which was very quite and comfortable. The bathroom could use a vent to k...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Newbury Park, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

This hotel deserves its number one rating. Very friendly and helpful staff and management. The morning and afternoon food events are excellent, with great food and drinks. This is an area the hotel could easily skimp on, but they don't.

Only snag was they were doing noisy construction on the room next to me, but when I brought it to their attention they kindly allowed me to sleep in, and only started their work after I called to say I had woken up. This jet lagged traveler was very grateful.

Room Tip: Book inside room to avoid the noise from the street.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

This was our second stay at the Casablanca Hotel. We had another outstanding experience!

I was in NYC for business and stayed at the Marriott Marquis for three nights before my wife flew in to join me for a long weekend. We moved to the Casablanca on Friday and stayed there through Sunday. The contrast in these two hotels was amazing. Both are convenient to Times Square, but when you step into the lobby of the Casablanca you feel like you've left the craziness of Times Square behind you. We had an interior room and never heard any street noise.

The continental breakfast was very good with attentive servers. The wine and cheese reception in the evening is also a great value and a good way to start your evening in NYC. We also like the ability to have a place to wind down after a show (they have tea, water and cookies in the 2nd floor restaurant area at all times).

I would highly recommend this hotel for its location, service and overall value!

Room Tip: We prefer to not hear street noise, so would recommend you choose an interior room.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Casablanca Hotel Times Square? Share your experiences!