“Luxury and Service You Can Only Dream Of!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Peninsula New York

You added The Peninsula New York to your Saves list
The Peninsula New York
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   700 Fifth Avenue at 55th Street, New York City, NY 10019 (Manhattan)   |
Special Rate
Guaranteed Room Upgrade
Ranked #75 of 459 Hotels in New York City
babylon
“Luxury and Service You Can Only Dream Of!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Recently stayed at The Peninsula NY as the guest of a friend. This is a very good friend because I could never afford to stay at a hotel like this. I knew The Pen was one of the top hotel in Manhattan but I was completely blow away with the service and how friendly the staff were. Our room was a Junior Suite and although not very spacious by NYC standards it was comfortable. I loved the turn down service in the evening and the decor of the room was contemporary chic. The hotel itself wreaks of class and money and if you ever eat in the restaurant there you better have both because it was not cheap. However, I would not expect a hotel of it's reputation to be reasonable priced. Of course the clientele was business people, wealthy foreigners, and well heeled americans as well. If you can afford it I highly recommend this hotel however since I am not in the tax bracket of most of their guests it was a very lovely weekend stay I had.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
ThePeninsulaNY, General Manager at The Peninsula New York, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Dear Lacrazia,

Thank you for your kind words. We appreciate your feedback, especially the fact that the friendliness of our staff played an instrumental role in your having such a wonderful stay. We do hope you have the chance to stay with us again!

Jonathan H. Crook

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

We just stayed for 4 days but were pampered to make it feel like a week in our private residence.
The location was walking distance to Central Park, where we spent most of our time, and most of our favorite shops and many restaurants including in-house rooftop cocktails. The concierge, private butlers, desk, doorman couldn't have been more helpful. All in all, upon check out the bill was justified by the personal attention provided professionally by the entire staff. They made all the difference. Yes, all other housekeeping, linens, amenities and accessory details were meticulous and appreciated.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Johnberndt,

Thank you for your kind feedback! Providing the feeling of a "home away from home" is the best compliment that we could hope to receive, and I'm delighted that we were able to provide such an experience. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Best regards,
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013 via mobile

As we were travelling with two children a pool was a must on our hotel short list. The Peninsula's location and reviews won us over. The pool looks fantastic and being up on the 22nd floor with windows all round it gives you amazing views of the city but it was so unbelievably cold it was impossible to get in!!! I've never heard my children complain of water being too cold for them before (the thermostat said 30degrees and I was tutted at by another guest (old bloke sat by the pool at 5.30am reading his paper) when I asked if the thermostat could be broken and if they had another to retest as you could feel that water was nowhere near 30) also the pool attendant said he constantly gets complaints about the temperature but suggestions to Management about increasing the temp in winter go unheard..says it all!! (Must point out there is a complimentary Nespresso machine at pool side which was VERY welcome at 5.30am when pool opened and kids had been up for an hour!)

Apart from the pool I agree with LuvLuxTravel review..service was VERY slow at times, concierge waited for us to have carried the pram half way up the stairs before offering to help and staff on the roof terrace (Really beautiful setting and a must to visit!!) tried to tell us the outside area was closing (other people were out there) and they didn't want to put a patio heater on for a new table (at 8pm and the bar was open until late) until I suggested I go speak to management about that before they obliged (you don't expect that in a 5* hotel!!) also waited 45mins for breakfast in room as restaurant was closed for refurbishment (no mention of that anywhere when booking!!)

The food is really good though and the beds super comfortable! Rooms were good sizes and well kitted out. I was very happy with the cleanliness and thought the maid did an outstanding job! (Have to say that both the room service and housekeeping staff were extremely nice and friendly)

So if you are looking for a luxury hotel in a fabulous location and you aren't fussed about the pool or slow service then I can't think of a better place to stay!

• Stayed February 2013
ThePeninsulaNY, General Manager at The Peninsula New York, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Dear Poshtigger,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about your recent stay with us. While I am glad to hear that overall you enjoyed your visit, particularly the food and our great location, I am extremely disappointed in the level of service you received from the various departments. We take full responsibility for the experiences and quality of service provided to our guests and I would like the opportunity to discuss the details further with you. I invite you to contact me directly at jcrook@peninsula.com.

I look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back to The Peninsula New York and to restoring your faith in our services.

Chicago, Illinois, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Finally finding time to submit, hope others find helpful. My daughter and I spent a long weekend in January and I left with mixed feelings. We are HUGE fans of the Peninsula hotels in Chicago and Beverly Hills. I had the same expectations for this one. What we liked: the location, the sound proofing (a nice quiet sleep in mid-town!), the comfort of the bed, and the spacious well appointed bathroom. I was less than impressed with the following: waited over an hour after checking in to be shown to our room, when told it would take 20 min. Was told to enjoy a drink and it would be ready - 45 min later I had to remind the front desk and then another 15 min wait. Meanwhile, the lounge/tea area was empty, service was slow and we had to find someone to pay for our drink - not the way I normally begin a stay at a Peninsula (or other luxury hotel). The room was nice, but not all I would expect. Carpet a bit stained and the walls around the dressing area are scuffed and banged up. The bench area and drawers for luggage (a fav part of a Pen room) was scuffed/dirty. We enjoyed a lovely breakfast in Fives one morning and the next the staff was inattentive and a bit rude. Upon checkout a lovely woman a the bell stand offered my daughter a Peninsula teddy bear, which was a sweet touch to depart. Overall more inconsistent than I had hoped for.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear LuvLuxTravel_12,

Thank you for choosing to stay at The Peninsula New York and for being such a loyal guest of The Peninsula Hotels. We appreciate your comments regarding the general condition of your room, as it is always helpful for us to improve the quality of our product. I would like to apologize for your disappointment in the level of service you received from our front desk and dining staff. We work very hard to provide a level of service that Peninsula guests have come to expect and we regret that we did not exceed your expectations. I would personally welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay further with you and can be contacted directly at jcrook@peninsula.com.

I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Peninsula New York soon.

Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

I stayed in the hotel over President's weekend and it met with all my expectations. They were aware I was in NYC for my birthday and they offered me a room upgrade and sent up a birthday treat. They could not have been nicer. My room was on the fifth floor overlooking Fifth Avenue and it was remarkably quiet--very unusual in the city. Service was impeccable, staff was friendly and helpful, and the environment was first rate. I travel to NYC often both for pleasure and business, and usually stay at the Four Seasons. Decided to try the Peninsula for a change - and was glad I did. I couldn't detect any difference in amenities to recommend FS and its higher room rate over the Peninsula. I liked it so much I opted to stay an extra night. There was some initial confusion over the extended room rate -- but a very competent manager quickly clarified it to my satisfaction. This place wants you to leave happy.
Fabulous shopping location. Gym was great- spa and pool looked lovely but I didn't have a chance to use services. Nice lounge in the lobby. If you're looking for a special place to stay where you'll get pampered, this is a good bet.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear LoisH23,

Happy belated birthday! Thank you for choosing The Peninsula New York for your celebratory weekend in New York. I'm delighted that members of our staff played such an instrumental role in your stay and that you were able to utilize our fabulous fitness center. We look forward to celebrating with you again soon!

Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Although it is expensive at $3300 a night the Sevice is outstanding the restaurant ( Lobster) and champagne choices are excellent Spent ten days here and loved it . Everything is close by limo service is great. All my favorite places are right here. Barclay's Antiques Joey and Robert always have my favorites waiting for me. Home away from Home with all the trimmings and Central Park . Love coming home to New York and staying here it's wonderful staff and service are excellent . I will be back soon.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Sharon,

Thank you for taking the time to provide such kind feedback about your recent stay. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed one of our spacious Executive Suites and Fives restaurant.

We truly appreciate your comments and hope to see you again soon!

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Fabulous location in the heart of Fifth avenue, beautiful public areas and rooms, vibrant atmosphere, excellent service. Attentive concierge and front desk staff. Nice well equipped gym and spa on 21 st floor overlooking New York City. Close to Lincoln Center and cultural attractions. Perfect for a special celebration/ weekend in NYC.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Peninsula New York? Share your experiences!