We had two rooms booked for a one night stay between Christmas and New Year's Eve. The property was noticeably busy relative to other times I stayed this year. The front desk was still accommodating at check-in, proactively finding us one room for earlier check-in and honoring a change to our requested bed type (switch from one king to two queens) for the second room. That second room included two children and there were two small plates of sweet treats in the room for them which was a nice touch.
We did enjoy the location, the free wifi, the complimentary poolside Nespresso machine and gym. The kids also loved the TV in the tub. It also appears that an upgrade of the TVs may be underway since we noticed an instruction card in our room noting how to operate the new plasma screen TVs, though it doesn't appear ours had been swapped out yet.
The one item that fell short of expectations was an apparent oversight with regard to the perks that we'd expected the kids would receive. I'd inquired in advance and provided their names and ages and understood they'd receive personalized folders/ business cards and Peninsula teddy bears. Perhaps it slipped through the cracks because of the busy holiday period. I had inquired with the front desk when I picked up the keys to the second room to ensure that was the one to which the bears would be delivered and was under the impression we were all set. I also asked the room attendant at turndown and she was going to contact the desk. That said, I think the kids had plenty of fun regardless and we were all quite pleased by the flexibility we were afforded with regard to early check in and the bedding type.
This hotel is a good holiday destination for families if you can swing it, especially if the in-room technology is indeed in the process of being upgraded.
- Also Known As:
- The Peninsula New York Hotel
- The Peninsula New York Hotel New York City
- Peninsula New York City
- New York City Peninsula
- Peninsula Hotel New York
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Known for its world-renowned service and attention to detail, The Peninsula New York is the prestigious recipient of the Forbes Five Star and AAA Five Diamond Awards. This magnificently restored 23-story, 1905 landmark building is ideally located, just steps away from world-class shopping, museums and the magic of Broadway. ACCOMMODATION: Each of the 185 spacious guestrooms and 54 suites at The Peninsula New York meet The Peninsula Hotels standards for luxury, guest comfort and technology. Rooms are designed for maximum comfort, with a good night’s rest virtually guaranteed. Each room exudes a sense of tranquility and modernity with crisp bed linens from the luxury French linen house, D. Porthault, luxurious goose down duvets, flat screen televisions, marble bathrooms with special mood lighting and signature Peninsula bathtub televisions. For the ultimate convenience, bedside electronic control panels regulate temperature, lighting and entertainment systems. WELLNESS: The Peninsula Spa is a rooftop oasis providing an ideal retreat from the demands of the city. Recently awarded the #1 Hotel Spa in the USA by the readers of Conde Nast Traveler, this sanctuary of seclusion and peace offers relaxing body treatments and sublime skin care in an environment of sheer aesthetic bliss. The Spa features a luxurious range of heat experiences including a steam room, sauna, ice fountain and “experience” shower, men’s and women’s private relaxation lounges and an Asian Tea Lounge. The Private Spa Suite is the ultimate personal spa experience for couples, friends or family wishing to retreat in total privacy. A glass-enclosed pool, wraparound outdoor sun terrace and cutting edge fitness center with daily group fitness classes completes the wellness experience. DINING: From fine dining to traditional Afternoon Tea, The Peninsula’s restaurants and bars combine the perfect balance of luxury and comfort to experience at any time of day. Offering Panoramic views over Fifth Avenue and the glittering skyline of Manhattan, Salon de Ning features an intimate interior bar, complemented by two outdoor terraces. Notice: The hotel’s fine dining restaurant Fives and the adjoining Bar at Fives are currently closed for refurbishment and are set to debut in Fall 2013 with an exciting new name and concept. In the interim, hotel guests may enjoy a Continental breakfast buffet and select a la carte items in Gotham Lounge, buffet breakfast on the banquet floor or an a la carte menu through In-room Dining. Gotham Lounge will also be open to the public for lunch, Afternoon Tea, dinner and cocktails. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Jetsetter, Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Splendia, Tingo, Otel, Agoda, getaroom.com, Hotels.com, Venere and Fareportal so you can book your The Peninsula New York reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.